Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2005, 10:10 AM   #151
sidewinder770
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by speakeraddict
Just a warning, that acuator (from parts express) is SLOOOOOWWWWW.

speakeraddict
Yeah- it is a bit slow if you need it to fully extend and retract. I think it takes about 30 seconds to go the full 12+ inches. Luckily I only need it to travel about 2 inches to full open the canopy- it's all dependant on where you place the actuator in relation to the hinge- I can have it take the full 30 seconds or 2 seconds if I wanted it to but I think about 4 seconds should be about right- I'll probably play around with it to find the sweet spot before making my final placement on the top of the canopy. When all is said and done you won't even see the actuator with the hood open or closed (unless you're 8' tall I guess and can look on top of the canopy). But you are correct- if you needed it to fully extend to perform it's job you would be waiting a while!

Current Tank Info: Currently between tanks- previous tank was the June 2007 Tank of the month.
sidewinder770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2005, 11:16 AM   #152
speakeraddict
Premium Member

The wild thing about them is how strong they are.

We are using one right now to actuate a wheel chair ramp on the back of a cargo van that was converted to a handicap accessible camper.

So far, so good. The brackets are all welded up and the arms are done. Just need to mount the ramp to it.

They were on sale over the weekend. Wish i would have bought a couple more.

speakeraddict

Current Tank Info: 15 gallon custom shallow cube
speakeraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2005, 11:38 AM   #153
skamin
Registered Member

Where did you purchase them from?

skamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2005, 11:39 AM   #154
speakeraddict
Premium Member

www.partsexpress.com

speakeraddict

Current Tank Info: 15 gallon custom shallow cube
speakeraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2005, 11:46 AM   #155
sidewinder770
Registered Member

There ya go I got mine off ebay but that looks easier. They are very powerful litttle devices - this one is rated at 1300 lbs- I've seen them a lot higher than that as well. This model just happend to be the right size, weight capability and had the cool up down control built in so I didn't have to figure it out and it was cheap. It should be pretty cool when it's installed.

Current Tank Info: Currently between tanks- previous tank was the June 2007 Tank of the month.
Unread 05/11/2005, 12:17 PM   #156
NOLACLS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder770
There ya go I got mine off ebay but that looks easier. They are very powerful litttle devices - this one is rated at 1300 lbs- I've seen them a lot higher than that as well. This model just happend to be the right size, weight capability and had the cool up down control built in so I didn't have to figure it out and it was cheap. It should be pretty cool when it's installed.
Yes it should be cool...Cant wait to see it work...love it...and then steal the idea

NOLACLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2005, 12:43 PM   #157
melev
Moved On

Okay, how does it connect? I dont' see any mounting holes or hardware. I want to raise a canopy door straight up about 10 to 12", then let it lower back down again.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2005, 02:18 PM   #158
sidewinder770
Registered Member

melev-
You can't really see it in the picture but there is a mounting hole on the back- basically where the back of the piston would be. The gold colored eye on the front of the shaft (that you can see in the picture) is where you mount it in the front. In the picture above it is fully retracted and it had a 10" throw if I remember correctly. I think the whole unit is 18" retracted and 28" extended. HTH

NOLACLS-

Steal away- that's what it's up here for . I'll be sure to post some pics of it when it's up and running.

Unread 05/11/2005, 02:29 PM   #159
TheCoralReef731
Registered Member

I was speaking of the sump/refugium/frag/quarantine holder.

Current Tank Info: 29g and 90g Mixed Reefs, 37g Freshwater
TheCoralReef731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2005, 06:24 PM   #160
Northside Reef
Premium Member

OK I went ahead and got one to play with (if I ever get my stand) this will be a neat toy lol. they are on closeout so I do not know if that is good or bad.

Current Tank Info: 280 Gallon Display, 92 gallon Cube Clown and anemone tank. 700 gallon filter shed that ties it all together.
Northside Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2005, 08:52 AM   #161
NOLACLS
Registered Member

You could get some for your doors on the stand too. That would be fun

Unread 05/16/2005, 04:01 PM   #162
Northside Reef
Premium Member

ok I got the linear actuator in today, it is slick as heck. Absolutely the way to go on this thing. I should have it installed in the next couple of days.
I was looking at the two gas shocks I was going to get, the dang actuator was cheaper.
The front panel will still be gas shocks but those ones are only $32.00 for the pair.
Thanks again for the heads up on the actuator Scott

Current Tank Info: 280 Gallon Display, 92 gallon Cube Clown and anemone tank. 700 gallon filter shed that ties it all together.
Unread 05/17/2005, 08:32 AM   #163
sidewinder770
Registered Member

peterk731-
Here is a more recent pic of the cabinet. This was taken last week but is a little more up to date than the last pic. I have since finished all the drywall work and prep work and just need to get the doors mounted and painted- hopefully that will be done by Thursday night.

Northside Reef-
They are pretty slick units. It does take a while for it to fully extend and retract but if you only need it to slide 2-3 inches like I will to get the job done that it is well worth it- not only that but the cool factor is at the top of the chart . Be sure to post some pics of the canopy when it's done- I'll be watching your thread for it or feel free to post it here- I don't anticipate having canopy skinned and finished until September probably.

NOLACLS-
That would be pretty cool but I really have no need to get into the stand once it's finished. I may keep a few things in it but nothing I will have to get to more than once a month or so.

I'll try to get a fully completed picture up this week when it's all painted and has the doors on it-

Unread 05/17/2005, 08:37 AM   #164
TapeWorm
Registered Member

Hey sidewinder,

Since you live in AZ and all, arent you worried about temps in the garage during the summer months frying your gear or raising water temps?

TapeWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2005, 08:45 AM   #165
sidewinder770
Registered Member

TapeWorm-
(love the screen name by the way). Yeah- I am worried about it which is why I have a 3/4 ton AC unit waiting to be installed- I just need to get it painted before I mount the inside portion of the AC unit. I plan on keeping the cabinet temp about 78 degrees and it will also be cooling the canopy with duct work that will exchange the air between the canopy and the sump cabinet. I wouldn't dream of doing this type of set up in AZ without a tempereature controlled room. I also have a 1 ton chiller barrel that should be here today to maintain the water temps.

Unread 05/17/2005, 08:49 AM   #166
TapeWorm
Registered Member

Ok, living in Florida and all, we are in the same boat.

I got that nickname because of the way I eat

TapeWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2005, 12:34 PM   #167
NOLACLS
Registered Member

I might have to look at one of those actuators when shining time comes...cant wait till one of yall hook it up so I can see it in action

Scott, you could always just house your mini beer fridge in your stand and actuate your stand doors to get some beer.......ok that might be overboard

Unread 05/17/2005, 05:10 PM   #168
Northside Reef
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder770

Northside Reef-
They are pretty slick units. It does take a while for it to fully extend and retract but if you only need it to slide 2-3 inches like I will to get the job done that it is well worth it- not only that but the cool factor is at the top of the chart . Be sure to post some pics of the canopy when it's done- I'll be watching your thread for it or feel free to post it here- I don't anticipate having canopy skinned and finished until September probably.
I have it tack welded into place I will post pics tonight, it is SLICK

Unread 05/17/2005, 07:28 PM   #169
NOLACLS
Registered Member

<---cant wait

Unread 05/17/2005, 08:06 PM   #170
Northside Reef
Premium Member

Link to the pics

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...38#post4962038

Unread 05/18/2005, 08:21 AM   #171
sidewinder770
Registered Member

Very nice work Northside- I'm not sure why this idea hasn't been more popular (maybe it is and I've just never seen it)- it's cheap and easy and definately adds to the 'cool factor'- not to mention it makes working from the top of the tank soooo much easier on big tanks like this and you never have to ask for help to take off your canopy. My only concern was parts rusting- which is why I scraped the idea of having it inside the canopy and opted for placing it on top of the canopy- plus you won't be able to see it up there. I'm probably just a little paranoid but hey- for the price if it does rust you can just buy a new one.

Hopefully I'll have some pics of mine to show everyone in a month or 2.

Unread 05/18/2005, 10:23 AM   #172
Fliger
Registered Member

I hate you. You always make me feel like such a slacker.

Fliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2005, 12:46 PM   #173
melev
Moved On

You know, that is actually a nicely built wall-unit. Think it will be strong enough for the thousands of pounds of water and rock?

Nice job with the nook for the garage door, once opened.

Unread 05/19/2005, 01:02 PM   #174
sidewinder770
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger

I hate you. You always make me feel like such a slacker.
You know David......if you ever feel like you are being a slacker you are more than welcome to come help set up this system- I have a room full of parts, and a long list of things to do so I'm sure I could keep you busy - it just doesn't seem like there is enough time in the day to get what I need done accomplished.

melev-
There really won't be that much weight on most of these shelves- the one on the left will hold a 50gal ro/di top off tank and a 50gal salt mixing tank. The center support beam is a 4x4 so it should have no problem holding the weight. To the right of that will be the 50gal fuge and the 30gal frag tank. The shelves on the far right are for the chiller tube, calcium reactor and misc equipment- they do hold quite a bit of weight though- I have sat on them numerous times. The 130gal sump will be on the bottom right (the long/short stand in the pic) and is supported by 8 4x4's that are only 8 inches long.

Hopefully tonight the whole cabinet and shelves will be painted and we can start putting equipment and tank where they need to go. Got the doors and trim up the last few days. This weekend will be running the electrical outlets from the new subpanel (as seen in the pic above) and getting the AC unit installed so I can work in a nice air conditioned garage from now on . I'll get some pics up once the painting is done.

Unread 05/19/2005, 04:47 PM   #175
melev
Moved On

Scott, you are airconditioning the entire garage area then? What about the door itself? Will you put anything on it to help insulate that major opening of steel/aluminum?