Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2015, 04:22 PM   #1676
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
Ya I used algae barn but I really liked reefcleaners pods and pods+
http://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/pods
Mine look just like that and its majority on my sand bed.

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2015, 04:33 PM   #1677
Dfee
Registered Member

Yes, my nitrate and phos read 0. Thought I was close to winning when I saw hair algae on rocks. Maybe my gha suggests I have mainly diatoms in those rusty patches?

Found what he was talking about. It is a diatom filter. Filled with diatomaceous earth . RC thread talking about it but no mention of Dino's: POLL Diatom Filters using Diatomaceous Earth

Dfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2015, 04:55 PM   #1678
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfee View Post
Yes, my nitrate and phos read 0. Thought I was close to winning when I saw hair algae on rocks. Maybe my gha suggests I have mainly diatoms in those rusty patches?

Found what he was talking about. It is a diatom filter. Filled with diatomaceous earth . RC thread talking about it but no mention of Dino's: POLL Diatom Filters using Diatomaceous Earth
Quite possibly diatoms harboring dinos, that is what I had at the end stages of the battle.

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2015, 04:56 PM   #1679
karimwassef
Registered Member

Hmmmm, a diatomaceous filter running in the dark as the main filter with high in-tank flow for several days should scrub the water pretty aggressively. Has anyone tried this?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2015, 05:14 PM   #1680
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

Quote:
Some do, some don't. After removing skimmer, no water changes, and more feeding, I have gha, diatoms, Dino's, and cyano.

I decided to go to a place I haven't been before in Chicago to get some pods, so trying that method now

The guy there actually mentioned a Dino Filter you can buy. I'm trying to find it on the internet now . Never heard of it before.

The picture was taken just now about 1 hour before lights come on. I also did a siphoning 24 hrs before the pic was taken.

So what's the consensus on siphoning? Leave the Dino's alone or siphon into filter sock in sump like I've been doing?
Ah ok. Reason I ask is because I have similar looking stuff on my sand but they don't go away at night. They are just as ugly during the day. Tang eats it too and no snail deaths. But they do have bubbles occasionally.

Where in Chicago are you getting pods? I've just been getting em online at various places. Would be awesome to get some local.

PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2015, 05:35 PM   #1681
Dfee
Registered Member

Stopped by old town aquarium for the first time. They had one of those copepod and phyto culture tanks going

Unread 09/01/2015, 12:19 PM   #1682
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Is it true that dinoflagellates dies in fresh water? If so, I will be siphoning out my top layer of sand into a bucket with ro/di to rinse. Then re add to tank. Is this okay? Or nah?

Unread 09/01/2015, 01:11 PM   #1683
bertoni
RC Mod

The dinoflagellates should die if exposed long enough to fresh water. I don't know what the time limit might be, though, and I'd expect a few to survive here and there. Rinsing the sand might remove some detritus. I'd be tempted, though, to soak the sand in RO/DI with a powerhead and check the phosphate level after twelve hours or so, to see whether the sand is leaching a significant amount of phosphate.

Unread 09/01/2015, 02:05 PM   #1684
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
Is it true that dinoflagellates dies in fresh water? If so, I will be siphoning out my top layer of sand into a bucket with ro/di to rinse. Then re add to tank. Is this okay? Or nah?
I thought about cleaning my sand and reusing it but did not want to take the chance so I replaced the sand with new after dinos were gone. Dinos are resilient little buggers.

Unread 09/01/2015, 03:09 PM   #1685
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
I thought about cleaning my sand and reusing it but did not want to take the chance so I replaced the sand with new after dinos were gone. Dinos are resilient little buggers.
How did you get rid of them?

Unread 09/01/2015, 03:10 PM   #1686
Billybatz9
Registered Member

I just did a water change. Way too much Dino on my sand bed. Going to do 3 days lights out now and will be dosing hydrogen peroxide every day. 3 ml each day for my 29 g biocube.

Switching filter floss and carbon pad out today as well.

Unread 09/01/2015, 03:26 PM   #1687
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
How did you get rid of them?
Long version.....Post 1589
Short version.....Post 1651

Unread 09/01/2015, 03:58 PM   #1688
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Long version.....Post 1589
Short version.....Post 1651

Hilarious

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 09/01/2015, 04:00 PM   #1689
Dfee
Registered Member

If you're still fighting and haven't tried pods and phyto yet, do it!

Look at my posts and pics from the last week. Was going good then moved rock around and got a huge bloom. Two days ago I siphoned the bloom out from gravel, yesterday I added pods and phyto, get this... Today when I got home from work was the first time I didn't have to siphon gravel in a LONG TIME!!

Unread 09/01/2015, 04:18 PM   #1690
cal_stir
Registered Member

It's a GREAT feeling isn't it.

Unread 09/01/2015, 04:28 PM   #1691
Dfee
Registered Member

Quote:
It's a GREAT feeling isn't it.

Yes! You were the one that told me pods would be the nail in the coffin, correct?
Thanks
It's too early to tell if this will last but it's been the biggest improvement I've seen in months.
Now I'm paranoid to change anything. Should I switch out phosphate media or leave it? Put my skimmer back in or leAve it out? I dunno.
I'm thinking of starting a refugium since I already have a refugium sump that I only put a skimmer in. I'm thinking just adding one piece of live rock, light, and cheato

Unread 09/01/2015, 07:22 PM   #1692
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes! You were the one that told me pods would be the nail in the coffin, correct?
Thanks
It's too early to tell if this will last but it's been the biggest improvement I've seen in months.
Now I'm paranoid to change anything. Should I switch out phosphate media or leave it? Put my skimmer back in or leAve it out? I dunno.
I'm thinking of starting a refugium since I already have a refugium sump that I only put a skimmer in. I'm thinking just adding one piece of live rock, light, and cheato
Yes that was me.
I would start the skimmer on the dry side but go easy on phosphate media, I would try to keep po4 @ .03 and continue with the phytoplankton, I'm not sure how much your dosing but I was dosing 100ml 4x a day in a 200gal system, after a couple weeks I noticed algae patches forming on the sand(I know it was only algae because I have a microscope) I then cut the dose in half and it cleared up in short order, I haven't vacuumed my sand for a couple weeks and it looks great and I do 15gal water change weekly and run half the carbon I use to. I'm still using the 10uM socks.
My po4 has been as hi as .06 and as low as .02 without issue.

Last edited by cal_stir; 09/01/2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Added info
Unread 09/01/2015, 07:34 PM   #1693
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes that was me.
I would start the skimmer on the dry side but go easy on phosphate media, I would try to keep po4 @ .03 and continue with the phytoplankton, I'm not sure how much your dosing but I was dosing 100ml 4x a day in a 200gal system, after a couple weeks I noticed algae patches forming on the sand(I know it was only algae because I have a microscope) I then cut the dose in half and it cleared up in short order, I haven't vacuumed my sand for a couple weeks and it looks great and I do 15gal water change weekly and run half the carbon I use to. I'm still using the 10uM socks.
My po4 has been as hi as .06 and as low as .02 without issue.
How much phyto do you guys dose for a 30 gal? And any specific phyto? And do you just throw in thousands of pods at once?

Unread 09/01/2015, 08:22 PM   #1694
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
How much phyto do you guys dose for a 30 gal? And any specific phyto? And do you just throw in thousands of pods at once?
I would dose 60ml a day and hundreds of pods in a 30 gal to start.
I dose tetraselmis and nannochloris

Unread 09/02/2015, 02:32 PM   #1695
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
I would dose 60ml a day and hundreds of pods in a 30 gal to start.
I dose tetraselmis and nannochloris
I dk if you know this or not, but what does dosing phytoplankton do?

Unread 09/02/2015, 03:58 PM   #1696
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
I dk if you know this or not, but what does dosing phytoplankton do?
It feeds the plankton, micro fauna, critters, etc., the stuff that I believe keeps the dinos in check.

Unread 09/02/2015, 06:25 PM   #1697
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks
Wow, looking good!
I'm paranoid, so I wouldn't touch a thing for at least a few months.

ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2015, 09:44 PM   #1698
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

So the only brown stuff I see is mainly on my front and side glass.

Please help me ID

uploadfromtaptalk1441338236820.jpg

At 250x

Last edited by Adrnalnrsh; 09/03/2015 at 09:50 PM.
Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2015, 09:52 PM   #1699
karimwassef
Registered Member

That looks like bacteria?

Unread 09/03/2015, 09:56 PM   #1700
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
That looks like bacteria?
according to this, the closest thing I could find was diatoms.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-12/feature/index.php

Its like a brown filamentous algae on my glass, near dust like. Depending on how thick it is, comes off like dust.

This also appeared a week after using chemi-clean. No trace of cyano anywhere.

Snails are all over it too

Last edited by Adrnalnrsh; 09/03/2015 at 10:08 PM.
Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote