Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/24/2012, 12:24 PM   #2226
kingevil
Moved On

so.... i want to start adding corals to my tank eventually. i have a pencil urchin that i would like to move to my fuge. anything i can do to ensure that he will be healthy there?

i also have a valentini puffer and coral beauty. neither are agressive towards any other fish or inverts. they also leave my purple mushrooms alone. i know this is hard to guess at, but - could i be safe with leaving them in a reef tank? i know it's really subjective to the actual livestock, etc etc, but i'm looking for best guesses. thanks.

Unread 04/24/2012, 12:54 PM   #2227
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack 77 View Post
So scratching the golden angle. how many more would i have to take out for the tank to be good?
You have three basslets, I would limit it to one

Unread 04/24/2012, 12:56 PM   #2228
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingevil View Post
so.... i want to start adding corals to my tank eventually. i have a pencil urchin that i would like to move to my fuge. anything i can do to ensure that he will be healthy there?

He should be fine as long as he does block a return

i also have a valentini puffer and coral beauty. neither are agressive towards any other fish or inverts. they also leave my purple mushrooms alone. i know this is hard to guess at, but - could i be safe with leaving them in a reef tank? i know it's really subjective to the actual livestock, etc etc, but i'm looking for best guesses. thanks.
My best guess would be that they will not be reef safe for LPS meaty corals and related.

Unread 04/24/2012, 01:19 PM   #2229
kingevil
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
My best guess would be that they will not be reef safe for LPS meaty corals and related.
grrrrrrrrrrrrr.................

Unread 04/24/2012, 05:19 PM   #2230
kelrn98
Registered Member

I have a 300g (96x24x31) with a 75g sump and 55g fuge which I transfered contents of my previous 110g and 120g. I have nearly 300lbs of LR and have transfered the following fish:

1 coral beauty (excellent reef fish, have had him for 4 years)

2 spotted cardinal fish (not crazy about them personally, but I have had then for many years and they have been real troopers)

1 ocellaris clown

1 red elongated dottyback (stays in rocks mostly until feeding time, excellent, hardy fish, beautiful colors)

1 blue damselfish (I know they can be awful, but I have had this one for 6+ years and he has been a good community member)

What I would like to have, though I can probably not have them all........would like constructive reasoning to narrow my list a bit or alternatives to my list. I am not crazy about having tangs that take up 1/4 of the tank. I would rather have numerous smaller fish personally. Though my man really wants a yellow belly regal tang.

Here's my working list (in addition to my fish above):

flame angel

mystery wrasse

yellow watchman goby and shrimp pair

midas blenny

2 firefish (nemateleotris magnifica) (how do you know male from female?)

yellow belly hippo tang

schooling bannerfish x 3 (henichus diphreutes)

resplendent anthias (7-9?)

red mandarin (after a year or so)

yellow tang x 3

white tail bristletooth tang or two spot bristletooth tang

orange spotted blenny (blenniella chrysospilos)

achilles tang and/or mimic lemon peel tang

magnificant foxface

any input will be greatly appreciated as well as suggestions as to what order to add these fish.

I really need help deciding which order to add them. I was thinking I should add the flame angel sooner than later before the coral beauty gets to settled into the new tank. This tank will be a mixed reef tank with inverts.

Current Tank Info: 96x24x30 -300g mixed reef: 75g sump, 35g fuge, 2x MP60, 4x Radion Pros, reef octopus X5000 skimmer, way too much LR and a few fish

Last edited by kelrn98; 04/24/2012 at 05:27 PM.
Unread 04/24/2012, 05:34 PM   #2231
kingevil
Moved On

i have always heard that you want to add a flame last.

Unread 04/24/2012, 06:06 PM   #2232
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingevil View Post
i have always heard that you want to add a flame last.
This thread is answered by RC staff. While your participation is encouraged elsewhere, we would appreciate your not answering in this thread. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Unread 04/24/2012, 06:11 PM   #2233
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelrn98 View Post
I have a 300g (96x24x31) with a 75g sump and 55g fuge which I transfered contents of my previous 110g and 120g. I have nearly 300lbs of LR and have transfered the following fish:

1 coral beauty (excellent reef fish, have had him for 4 years)

2 spotted cardinal fish (not crazy about them personally, but I have had then for many years and they have been real troopers)

1 ocellaris clown

1 red elongated dottyback (stays in rocks mostly until feeding time, excellent, hardy fish, beautiful colors)

1 blue damselfish (I know they can be awful, but I have had this one for 6+ years and he has been a good community member)

What I would like to have, though I can probably not have them all........would like constructive reasoning to narrow my list a bit or alternatives to my list. I am not crazy about having tangs that take up 1/4 of the tank. I would rather have numerous smaller fish personally. Though my man really wants a yellow belly regal tang.

Here's my working list (in addition to my fish above):

flame angel given an established dwarf angel, there will be chasing but if you add after lights out that should subside over a couple of days

mystery wrasse can be tough on shrimp and similar wrasses

yellow watchman goby and shrimp pair

midas blenny

2 firefish (nemateleotris magnifica) (how do you know male from female?) I wish I knew. I always try to pick two that are hanging out together but my hit ratio is about 50%

yellow belly hippo tang can be a very aggressive fish once mature; I do not recommend

schooling bannerfish x 3 (henichus diphreutes)

resplendent anthias (7-9?)

red mandarin (after a year or so)

yellow tang x 3 well, it may work, but these would have to be added concurrently and last

white tail bristletooth tang or two spot bristletooth tang

orange spotted blenny (blenniella chrysospilos)

achilles tang and/or mimic lemon peel tang Achilles need long tanks with lots of flow but an 8 foot tank should work with good flow

magnificant foxface

any input will be greatly appreciated as well as suggestions as to what order to add these fish.

I really need help deciding which order to add them. I was thinking I should add the flame angel sooner than later before the coral beauty gets to settled into the new tank. This tank will be a mixed reef tank with inverts.
If you plan on shrimp, I would avoid the mystery wrasse; remember that dwarf angels are not safe with meaty LPS corals. Your plan sounds a bit busy with largish fish with possible aggression among tangs.

Unread 04/24/2012, 06:41 PM   #2234
kelrn98
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
If you plan on shrimp, I would avoid the mystery wrasse; remember that dwarf angels are not safe with meaty LPS corals. Your plan sounds a bit busy with largish fish with possible aggression among tangs.
I can certainly forfeit the yellow belly hippo; is the regular blue hippo just as aggressive?

I really had my eyes set on the mystery wrasse. I may just omit any shrimp, I will have to think about it.

As far as the anthias go, is 7 or 9 too many?

I am aware of the risks with dwarf angels, I know it is hit and miss, I personally have had good luck with the coral beauty and flame.

I will add the yellow tangs together as juvenilles, last.

I am skeptical about the achilles tang, but have always wanted one. I have 2MP60s and flow is provided by a reeflo barracuda through 4 returns. Should this be enough?

Current Tank Info: 96x24x30 -300g mixed reef: 75g sump, 35g fuge, 2x MP60, 4x Radion Pros, reef octopus X5000 skimmer, way too much LR and a few fish
Unread 04/24/2012, 07:38 PM   #2235
Woodchuck12
Registered Member

Tank will be 90 gallons with pretty high turnover, Lps/Sps dominant with some palys/zoas. Heavy filtration with 90-100 lbs of live rock.

Fish:
Red mandarin (After 7 months minimum)
2 true percula clowns
Starry blenny
3 Schooling bannerfish
Zebra Moray Eel (I know that these will eat crustaceans, so most of the shrimp and crabs are optional. I have heard reports of them not attacking crustaceans so I am looking for as many opinions as possible.)
Leopard wrasse (not until I have more experience)

Crustaceans:

Long spined urchin
3 porcelain anemone crabs
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
4 sexy anemone shrimp
5 pom pom crabs
2 fighting conch
various snails

Also is there any order to add that would work better?

Thanks, Charlie

Unread 04/24/2012, 07:53 PM   #2236
hajas
Registered Member

Quote:
"Originally Posted by hajas
I have a 220 gallon tank (6’ long and 2’ wide) with approximately 255 lbs of LR and approximately a 2” sand bed. I am thinking about the following stocking list:
Coral Beauty Angel
Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish Pair
Firefish Pair
Diamond Watchman Goby
Algae Blenny
Schooling Bannerfish Pair
Mandarin after about 8 months
Powder Blue or Powder Brown Tang
Yellow Tang

Potential Additions:
Spotbreast Angel
Ignitus Anthina Pair
Yellow Candy Hogfish will be a problem with shrimp
Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse Trio
Longfin Fairy Wrasse Trio

No obvious incosistencies although the tank will be pretty full if you do everything

I also plan on including several shrimp, snails and smaller crabs. I am thinking the tank will include soft corals and potentially an anemone or two. I would appreciate feedback and things to think about as I move forward with adding livestock. This is sort of a wish list, so I am expecting to have to make some choices between these options. Currently all I have is a small CUC consisting of snails and a few small hermit crabs. Thanks. "

Which of these would be the best to start with? I wanted to start with the clowns, but looking like it might be a little while until my LFS gets them in.

Unread 04/24/2012, 08:01 PM   #2237
seasmurf
Registered Member

Planning 90 gallon tank

After a 5 year hiatus from our reef tank (caused by a mid-winter 2 week power failure…..gotta love New England) the family has ocnvinced me to restart our tank (with a generator, this time!) The 90 gallon tank will have live rock and sand and overflow to a basement skimmer, 10 gallon refugium with cheato and an additional 20 gallon sump. MAin tank will turn over 6-7x through the sump and total flow will be 30 x via Vortech Mp20 head. Lighting is 2 x 250 watt, 10,000 K metal halide bulbs.

I will be bringing in polyps and soft corals but probably no SPS corals, at least for a while and only if I add a calcium reactor in the future. The kids are set on at the following fish eventually, but I'm wondering about compatability and order of addition:

1. Foxface rabbitfish (family favorite…must have)
2. Ignitus anthias
3. Orchid dottyback (might be too aggressive…..any more placid suggestion with similar size/coloring for my purple-loving daughter? MAybe Royal gramma basslett?)
4. Sumatran clownfish (if too territorial for this mix, any more docile clownfish??
5. Schooling bannerfish
6. Spotted cardinalfish
7. CArpenter's flasher wrasse

Especially, this is a pretty passive tank…..with the clown mix ?

Unread 04/24/2012, 08:24 PM   #2238
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelrn98 View Post
I can certainly forfeit the yellow belly hippo; is the regular blue hippo just as aggressive?

Once mature, yes.

I really had my eyes set on the mystery wrasse. I may just omit any shrimp, I will have to think about it.

As far as the anthias go, is 7 or 9 too many?

I have 10 in my 240 gallon and it does not look too busy

I am aware of the risks with dwarf angels, I know it is hit and miss, I personally have had good luck with the coral beauty and flame.

I will add the yellow tangs together as juvenilles, last.

I am skeptical about the achilles tang, but have always wanted one. I have 2MP60s and flow is provided by a reeflo barracuda through 4 returns. Should this be enough?
I would guess that it would. Remember in nature they inhabit areas of high surge

Unread 04/24/2012, 08:26 PM   #2239
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck12 View Post
Tank will be 90 gallons with pretty high turnover, Lps/Sps dominant with some palys/zoas. Heavy filtration with 90-100 lbs of live rock.

Fish:
Red mandarin (After 7 months minimum)
2 true percula clowns
Starry blenny
3 Schooling bannerfish
Zebra Moray Eel (I know that these will eat crustaceans, so most of the shrimp and crabs are optional. I have heard reports of them not attacking crustaceans so I am looking for as many opinions as possible.) unpredictable with regards to crustaceans; I personally would never keep one in a 90 gallon tank
Leopard wrasse (not until I have more experience)

Crustaceans:

Long spined urchin
3 porcelain anemone crabs
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
4 sexy anemone shrimp
5 pom pom crabs
2 fighting conch
various snails

Also is there any order to add that would work better?

Thanks, Charlie

Unread 04/24/2012, 08:30 PM   #2240
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajas View Post
Quote:
"Originally Posted by hajas
I have a 220 gallon tank (6’ long and 2’ wide) with approximately 255 lbs of LR and approximately a 2” sand bed. I am thinking about the following stocking list:
Coral Beauty Angel
Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish Pair
Firefish Pair
Diamond Watchman Goby
Algae Blenny
Schooling Bannerfish Pair
Mandarin after about 8 months
Powder Blue or Powder Brown Tang
Yellow Tang

Potential Additions:
Spotbreast Angel
Ignitus Anthina Pair
Yellow Candy Hogfish will be a problem with shrimp
Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse Trio
Longfin Fairy Wrasse Trio

No obvious incosistencies although the tank will be pretty full if you do everything

I also plan on including several shrimp, snails and smaller crabs. I am thinking the tank will include soft corals and potentially an anemone or two. I would appreciate feedback and things to think about as I move forward with adding livestock. This is sort of a wish list, so I am expecting to have to make some choices between these options. Currently all I have is a small CUC consisting of snails and a few small hermit crabs. Thanks. "

Which of these would be the best to start with? I wanted to start with the clowns, but looking like it might be a little while until my LFS gets them in.
It is always best to start with the most passive first, so in your case, that is firefish and blenny. Tangs last and concurrently but be sure to quarantine them as well as other fish

Unread 04/24/2012, 08:33 PM   #2241
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasmurf View Post
After a 5 year hiatus from our reef tank (caused by a mid-winter 2 week power failure…..gotta love New England) the family has ocnvinced me to restart our tank (with a generator, this time!)

I have a whole house generator because of our unpredictable electrical company

The 90 gallon tank will have live rock and sand and overflow to a basement skimmer, 10 gallon refugium with cheato and an additional 20 gallon sump. MAin tank will turn over 6-7x through the sump and total flow will be 30 x via Vortech Mp20 head. Lighting is 2 x 250 watt, 10,000 K metal halide bulbs.

I will be bringing in polyps and soft corals but probably no SPS corals, at least for a while and only if I add a calcium reactor in the future. The kids are set on at the following fish eventually, but I'm wondering about compatability and order of addition:

1. Foxface rabbitfish (family favorite…must have)
2. Ignitus anthias
3. Orchid dottyback (might be too aggressive…..any more placid suggestion with similar size/coloring for my purple-loving daughter? MAybe Royal gramma basslett?) royal gramma is better with a flasher wrasse in the tank
4. Sumatran clownfish (if too territorial for this mix, any more docile clownfish?? Amphiprion percula or A. ocellaris would be better
5. Schooling bannerfish
6. Spotted cardinalfish
7. CArpenter's flasher wrasse Must have a cover with 1/4 inch holes

Especially, this is a pretty passive tank…..with the clown mix ?
Well . . . sexually mature clowns want to control about 20-25 gallons of tank space, and that is for the least aggressive ones but everyone else should be fine

Unread 04/24/2012, 10:10 PM   #2242
Crackem
Registered Member

New 72 gallon bowfront mixed reef tank

I'm new to the forum and not very technical when it comes to tanks so I just want opinions on my setup and future fish and soft coral purchases.

I have a wet dry, live sand, and live rock. Lighting is 2 led strips and 1 96" corallite blue/ white. Not exactly sure of specs.
My tank is over 10 years old and it was moved from my old apt to my new one in December 2011. The sand and live rock is original and a leather coral. I've had my water tested and everything tested within normal ranges. Except phosphates which were very high, but are under control now.
I'm trying to get all fish very small too.

I have 3 true perculas (one died)
1 flame hawk
1 long nose hawk
1 bullet goby
3 pajama cardinals
1 bangaii cardinal (2 died)
70 blue leg crabs ( had alot of green hair algae)
40 turbo snails
5 peppermint shrimp ( had aeptasia problem)

Future purchases

3 firefish
3 purple firefish
1 blenny ( maybe bicolor)
1 flame angel
1 more goby maybe blue spot
1 black cap basslet or royal gramma
1 blue tang
1 yellow tang
1 purple tang (maybe)

Soft corals I want to add

Blue mushrooms
Hammer corals
Grape
Zoas (maybe)

I want my tank to be colorful

Any suggestions would be great
Thank you in advance

Last edited by Crackem; 04/24/2012 at 11:02 PM.
Unread 04/25/2012, 06:38 AM   #2243
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackem View Post
I'm new to the forum and not very technical when it comes to tanks so I just want opinions on my setup and future fish and soft coral purchases.

I have a wet dry, live sand, and live rock. Lighting is 2 led strips and 1 96" corallite blue/ white. Not exactly sure of specs.
My tank is over 10 years old and it was moved from my old apt to my new one in December 2011. The sand and live rock is original and a leather coral. I've had my water tested and everything tested within normal ranges. Except phosphates which were very high, but are under control now.
I'm trying to get all fish very small too.

I have 3 true perculas (one died) because you cannot keep more than a pair
1 flame hawk
1 long nose hawk
1 bullet goby
3 pajama cardinals
1 bangaii cardinal (2 died) because you had three of the same sex, a M+F pair only will be stable
70 blue leg crabs ( had alot of green hair algae because you are likely over feeding )
40 turbo snails
5 peppermint shrimp ( had aeptasia problem)

Future purchases

3 firefish No, only a M+F will remain long term
3 purple firefish No, only a M+F will remain long term; firefish do not like each other. It is best to stop thinking about multiples of conspecifics
1 blenny ( maybe bicolor)
1 flame angel
1 more goby maybe blue spot
1 black cap basslet or royal gramma
1 blue tang No, your tank is way to small
1 yellow tang No, your tank is way to small
1 purple tang (maybe) No, your tank is way to small

Soft corals I want to add

Blue mushrooms
Hammer corals
Grape
Zoas (maybe)

I want my tank to be colorful

Any suggestions would be great
Thank you in advance

Unread 04/25/2012, 05:01 PM   #2244
fish clown
Registered Member

Can 2 dwarf angels be in a 75 gal tank? I currently have or am going to get a kole yellow eye tang, two clowns, 3 chromis, one dottyback, and possibly a few others that i may add in the future. I have a fuge with a 150G skimmer.

Unread 04/25/2012, 05:51 PM   #2245
Damsel7
Registered Member

New tank

30 gal, external filter, mini skimmer, powerhead, 20lbs dry rock and 15 lbs fiji live rock, live sand

Was planning to get three damsels and a yellow tang maybe some inverts in the future

Should I rethink the Tang. Any suggestions?

Unread 04/25/2012, 06:02 PM   #2246
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish clown View Post
Can 2 dwarf angels be in a 75 gal tank? I currently have or am going to get a kole yellow eye tang, two clowns, 3 chromis, one dottyback, and possibly a few others that i may add in the future. I have a fuge with a 150G skimmer.
Yes to the dwarf angels. But a dottyback can be a terror.

Unread 04/25/2012, 06:04 PM   #2247
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damsel7 View Post
30 gal, external filter, mini skimmer, powerhead, 20lbs dry rock and 15 lbs fiji live rock, live sand

Was planning to get three damsels and a yellow tang maybe some inverts in the future

Should I rethink the Tang. Any suggestions?
A tang will not do well in that sized tank. Damsels will be aggressive but I hope you are not planning to use them to cycle the tank as there are much better, more humane ways.

Unread 04/25/2012, 09:07 PM   #2248
Eman79
Registered Member

Hi All. I've got a 55g that has been up and running for 3 months now.

Current inhabitants are as follows:

two juvinile black and white clowns,

RBTA,

LOTS of green/blue mushroom corals, 2 leathers.

Around 80# of live rock.

3 Turbo snails, 1 emerald crab, 8 hermit crabs, and an assortment of small snails.

I'd like to add some new tank mates, preferrably some fish that like to move around as opposed to the homebody clowns. While I'd LOVE a yellow tang, I realize that will have to wait until a larger tank in the distant future.

A few fish I'm considering adding to the tank are as follows:

Bi-Color Angel (second choice is a lemonpeel)
Clown Goby
Spotted Cardinal Fish (does a school of cardinals have to all be the same species or will mixed species get along? And how many do you recommend?)
Mandarin

Any other thoughts or recommendations would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Unread 04/25/2012, 09:13 PM   #2249
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman79 View Post
Hi All. I've got a 55g that has been up and running for 3 months now.

Current inhabitants are as follows:

two juvinile black and white clowns,

RBTA,

LOTS of green/blue mushroom corals, 2 leathers.

Around 80# of live rock.

3 Turbo snails, 1 emerald crab, 8 hermit crabs, and an assortment of small snails.

I'd like to add some new tank mates, preferrably some fish that like to move around as opposed to the homebody clowns. While I'd LOVE a yellow tang, I realize that will have to wait until a larger tank in the distant future.

A few fish I'm considering adding to the tank are as follows:

Bi-Color Angel (second choice is a lemonpeel) both of which are a bit more difficult to keep than some easier ones; dwarf angels are not reef safe to LPS meaty corals
Clown Goby
Spotted Cardinal Fish (does a school of cardinals have to all be the same species or will mixed species get along? And how many do you recommend?) Well cardinals will not "school" although some species will shoal but not if they are different species. Bangaii can only be two
Mandarin your tank is for sure not mature enough (8 months) and really not large enough

Any other thoughts or recommendations would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Unread 04/25/2012, 10:39 PM   #2250
ltfw ntsw
Registered Member

hi all im setting up a 30 gal nano cube and only want two fish and maybe a third with your blessing

1- picasso or near all white clown(really wanted a black but seem to aggressive)
1- green mandairin dragonet
1or2- ?

the lfs said he feeds his with copepode right out of a bottle

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish compatibility