Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/19/2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Snausy
Registered Member

Canopy Question

I just made a new canopy to house my new LED fixtures for my 300g.

It's ALMOST totally enclosed other than a 1" slit along the bottom back. Yes there is a roof that sits on top of the sliding light-rack so the roof is not open.

My question is: DO I NEED TO INSTALL FANS?

How important is it for me to install a fan or two in the canopy? In the summer I can put a regular fan in there pointing at the surface for evaporation cooling but for the rest of the year is it necessary?

The LED's are relatively cool and like I said there is a nice 8 foot/1" gap along the back bottom. You can't see the gap in the pics because I'm actually gluing this to an existing crown-molding top already on the tank. It has a gap to allow for 1" returns to come up and over the back of the tank.

I've never had a canopy so I don't know the answer. Even with my old T-5 the answer would be "of course you add fans"...but I'm not sure.

One thought I had was worry about humidity building up in there and somehow screwing with my light fixtures. Is that a concern?

Any input would be appreciated.

Current Tank Info: 300gal FOWLR- Emperor Angel, Rainbow Wrasse, Green Bird Wrasse, Dogface Puffer, Niger Trigger, Flame Hawkfish, Matted Filefish 150 Turbosnails that only come out at night! :D

Last edited by Snausy; 06/19/2013 at 10:00 PM.
Snausy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2013, 06:54 AM   #2
fishgate
Registered Member

I suggest getting one of those thermometers with the probe and let it run and see how hot it gets.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...9&pcatid=12089

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2013, 12:42 PM   #3
redfishblewfish
Registered Member

I will guarantee that you’ll have to put on fan(s). I built a closed canopy with the light fixture on the outside of the canopy. With the light fixture on the outside, the inside still got too hot and this is even after putting in six passive vents. I haven’t put a fan in yet, but it’s planned. For the time being I’m leaving one of the doors open to keep it cool.

And by the way, nice looking canopy.

redfishblewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2013, 02:21 PM   #4
mrbee2828
Registered Member

Canopy looks amazing. Great woodwork. Depending on the size of the vents you plan on having you will probably need fans. Looks like you are going to have a lot of LEDs under this thing. Again, amazing work here.

mrbee2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2013, 04:33 PM   #5
Snausy
Registered Member

See this is why I post questions here. Great answers. Thanks guys...*Browsing Newegg for a nice casefan*

It would be nice if I could get one with a standard AC plug. I could then setup a probe for my reefkeeper to turn the fan on when it reaches X temp.

Current Tank Info: 300gal FOWLR- Emperor Angel, Rainbow Wrasse, Green Bird Wrasse, Dogface Puffer, Niger Trigger, Flame Hawkfish, Matted Filefish 150 Turbosnails that only come out at night! :D
Snausy is offline   Reply With Quote