Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2010, 06:34 PM   #51
NyReefNoob
skimmer freak

sh

it is a erectus, here is a pic of mine as well, and sorry to say but keep fish to control algea should be last thought, but better husbandry, or put marco algea in the tank. here is my ap24g little over a year old, done 4 water changes and clean the glass once a month, only other fish in the tank are a pair of yellow watchman gobies, some hermits, snails a cb shrimp and a pistol shrimp

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nano 9-29-09 781.jpg (65.2 KB, 45 views)

My dad always said the only stupid questions are the ones not asked

Current Tank Info: custom 45g cube AIO
NyReefNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2010, 07:45 PM   #52
steelcaveman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyReefNoob View Post
it is a erectus, here is a pic of mine as well, and sorry to say but keep fish to control algea should be last thought, but better husbandry, or put marco algea in the tank. here is my ap24g little over a year old, done 4 water changes and clean the glass once a month, only other fish in the tank are a pair of yellow watchman gobies, some hermits, snails a cb shrimp and a pistol shrimp
Cool Seahorse!

RE: husbandry - I have been "trying" to keep non photosynthetic corals - which equates to feeding at least four times per day - but usually about 6 times per day. My nitrates and phosphates read zero, but for some reason I have had trouble keeping Macro alive long term in my sump - cross my fingers - I've managed to keep some parrot feather alive for one month! I have some rather expensive corals that I occasionally frag to pay for all of my expenses related to this hobby. The algae was effecting the corals and it was either lose the corals, lose the seahorses, or add some fish. I went with the later.
The ideal would be to have a seahorse only tank - but the wife nixed that idea. I have also decided to nix the non photosynthetic corals, upgrade my lighting, and change out some corals. Plus the room housing the tank has two glass walls - basically it gets too much sun light. This shift in environment should help with nutrient levels. I did consider the well being of the seahorses when choosing the fish, albeit I didn't give much weight to the rating on the seahorse.org site. I actually had a potters with three seahorses for over one year and never had a problem in my prior tank. I made the mistake of selling him when I decided to have only seahorses and pipefish

The clown tang has been a good boy for the past four weeks so I am hopeful. I have had zero issues with the Potters Angel. The prior post noted the issue of algae growing on the seahorses that I did not consider and may result in a removing of the clown and potters. The other option is to find a good home for the seahorses.

steelcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2010, 06:29 PM   #53
NyReefNoob
skimmer freak

the macro you see in the background is filled in the tank, literally have to trim it every other week, if you have it in your sump make sure the light u are using is of the right spectrum. makes a huge difference, i tried having clowns in the tank also but then i had to feed a ton more, i think having enough and proper cuc helps alot with the ability to feed a little more, the flow is real low in the tank so that the food kinda just floats around maming it easier for sh to catch and get some, reason i liked the gobies is because they catch and grab all the food going lower, said part is my reef which has all the bells and whistle's is more work then the tank i do nothing to but top off water and feed

My dad always said the only stupid questions are the ones not asked

Current Tank Info: custom 45g cube AIO
NyReefNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2010, 08:53 PM   #54
steelcaveman
Registered Member

I have decided that non photosynthetic corals and seahorses are just too much work. I have found a new home for the horses.

steelcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2010, 07:28 AM   #55
Peka
Registered Member

I'm sorry that you had to give up your horses. They are a lot of work and it you are not prepared for it, it takes the enjoyment out of it. I am glad that you got to enjoy them for a little while though....

Currently set up ....
90 gallon H. erectus seahorse tank
55 gallon H. reidi seahorse tank
Peka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2010, 09:45 AM   #56
Ocean2k
Registered Member

First time for me to see that horse, very nice.

Ocean2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 06:06 AM   #57
ComponentElm246
Registered Member

Ha ha ha. This guy started off so angry about the seahorse police. And then ended up with no seahorses. Ha ha ha. This was the best read ever. Thanks dudes.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

ComponentElm246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 09:17 AM   #58
rayjay
Registered Member

I see nothing funny about it.
Some people need a bit more time to realize things but at least acceptance of the fact meant the seahorse had another chance elsewhere.
I don't know about you, but I've been in the seahorse hobby for about 15 yrs now and I'm still learning all the time as the hobby evolves.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote