Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2017, 02:53 PM   #1
HBtank
Premium Member

External DC Skimmers?

Looking for recommendations for an external DC skimmer.

My preference is external skimmers (gravity fed), and I would also like to switch to a DC pump. In my looking around I found the Octo Regal EXT; but these are just larger than I need (80g tank, 100g system volume). It seems like external skimmers are limited in options.

Are there other options for external skimmers with DC pumps?

HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 04:29 PM   #2
HBtank
Premium Member

If they only made a current version of their 170!

This is basically what I would like to find:

http://www.coralvue.com/regal-170ext...rotein-skimmer

Unread 12/07/2017, 03:54 PM   #3
HBtank
Premium Member

Looks like external skimmers are out of style!?

Unread 12/07/2017, 04:24 PM   #4
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
Looks like external skimmers are out of style!?
don't know why, I would only use external.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 04:55 PM   #5
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outy View Post
don't know why, I would only use external.
It's interesting. Always found an external recirculating skimmer, especially gravity fed from the display overflow, to be the most superior design.

There used to be a more even split on them, and more for the smaller range of tanks. But it seems like everyone is going for internal skimmers.

Might just end up with plan B, retrofit a Varios 2s onto my old DAS skimmer. I find most of the skimmer "technology" over the last decade is mostly marketing (bubble plates, cones, blah blah), and while I would have liked a new piece of plastic to hold my foam, the new pump designs are really what I want (and where the real progress was IMO)!

Unread 12/07/2017, 05:08 PM   #6
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
It's interesting. Always found an external recirculating skimmer, especially gravity fed from the display overflow, to be the most superior design.

There used to be a more even split on them, and more for the smaller range of tanks. But it seems like everyone is going for internal skimmers.

Might just end up with plan B, retrofit a Varios 2s onto my old DAS skimmer. I find most of the skimmer "technology" over the last decade is mostly marketing (bubble plates, cones, blah blah), and while I would have liked a new piece of plastic to hold my foam, the new pump designs are really what I want (and where the real progress was IMO)!
Could go with one of these if your retrofitting.
http://www.fish-street.com/coral_box_dc_skimmer_pump

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 05:42 PM   #7
outy
Moved On

Quote:
the new pump designs are really what I want (and where the real progress was IMO)!
Yep want a DC skimmer myself

Unread 12/07/2017, 05:46 PM   #8
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
Could go with one of these if your retrofitting.
http://www.fish-street.com/coral_box_dc_skimmer_pump
Been looking at that pump, pass, and they don't list airflow ratings One would want a DCP series or nothing. And larger a pump that small cannot draw a lot of air with the head pressure of an external skimmer. I run 2 aquatrance 2000 and they are more powerful and I wish I would have done the 3000 series because of head pressure lost.

Just bought a 10000 DCP, and found one of 2 DCP 2500 left, that they don't even list in the USA. I had to go to china

Unread 12/07/2017, 06:02 PM   #9
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outy View Post
Been looking at that pump, pass, and they don't list airflow ratings One would want a DCP series or nothing. And larger a pump that small cannot draw a lot of air with the head pressure of an external skimmer. I run 2 aquatrance 2000 and they are more powerful and I wish I would have done the 3000 series because of head pressure lost.

Just bought a 10000 DCP, and found one of 2 DCP 2500 left, that they don't even list in the USA. I had to go to china
Yeah I had one of there skimmers it was fantasic for the $$ skimmed better than my Deltec and motor was silent. I would try it for the $$ if I needed to retrofit anyway.
I run the DCP 8000 on my current tank, awesome pump for the $100.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 09:58 AM   #10
HBtank
Premium Member

Well, I finally decided on just re-using my DAS EX-1 with a Varios 2S pump.

Despite waaaay too much fiddling around with PVC fittings, and what felt like never-ending side projects that were "created" (leaky bulkhead, overflow piping re-do etc..)

Done! And I can say it was the right decision. This skimmer always felt well matched to my system and always ran smoothly (i.e. never freaks out during tank activities, always pulls foam); within minutes I had found a sweet spot on flow/air and it was getting back to work:

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA

Last edited by HBtank; 01/09/2018 at 11:14 AM.