Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/27/2017, 01:36 AM   #1
GroceryGetterS4
Registered Member

One Kessil AP700 + 2 radions over a 90g mostly sps tank too much?

So I have 2 gen 2 radion non-pros over my 90g mixed, but mostly sps tank right now, and the growth is decent, but there is shadowing I'd like to get rid of. I've got a spare AP700 laying around, and thought about mounting it. My radions are about 10-12 inches off the water now. They run around 70%. If I add the Kessils, I'll turn the radions sideways and the Kessil long ways, should be enough room in the canopy. Thoughts? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GroceryGetterS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2017, 05:42 AM   #2
Mark Bianco
In Memoriam

Shadowing is the downside of leds adding more might help but probably not. The recommended hanging height for the 700 is 6 above the water, and its alot of light. If you want to eliminate shadowing then get a couple of t5 retrofit kits to install in the hood.

Mark Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2017, 09:34 PM   #3
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bianco View Post
Shadowing is the downside of leds adding more might help but probably not. The recommended hanging height for the 700 is 6 above the water, and its alot of light. If you want to eliminate shadowing then get a couple of t5 retrofit kits to install in the hood.
This. Adding some retro fit T5 lights will eliminate any shadowing cause by the LEDs.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 06:02 AM   #4
PhishyRupert
Registered Member

Does supplementing with t5s to eliminate shadowing more for look? I can’t imagine a couple t5 tubes creating enough par in shadowed areas to the point of creating more usable coral area.

PhishyRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 07:24 AM   #5
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishyRupert View Post
Does supplementing with t5s to eliminate shadowing more for look? I can’t imagine a couple t5 tubes creating enough par in shadowed areas to the point of creating more usable coral area.
Absolutely! I just did this. T5HO retrofit kit (two fixtures) to compliment two Viparspectra LED over a standard 90g.

Talk about a full light up and a 1000% improvement in lighting, you won't be disappointed.

Couple pix, sorry no FTS yet (can't believe I haven't taken one post install).