Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2018, 11:00 AM   #1
erisedstraeh
Registered Member

tank crashing, help!

So yesterday I came home to 3 dead fish and no idea why so I am looking for some insite from you guys. Here are my tank specs:

46g bowfront
Stocking was 2 clowsfish, royal gramma, yellowtail blue damsel, diamond watchman goby plus ton of snails and crabs
3 small corals
Fluval 406 filter with phosguard added
35-40lbs live rock
live sand
been running for 1 year with no issues

Checked my water peramiters on Sunday before a water change and everything was normal. Phos 0, pH 8.4, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, spec grav 1.024

I did a 20% water change on Sunday (I make my own water with my RODI unit and about 3 weeks ago changed all the filters in RODI unit including RO membrane. TDS is 0). I usually do 20% water change every other week and that has been working well for the tank. I also changed my filter media (charcoal and phosgaurd) which I do once a month.

All my fish were happy and swimming around on Sunday night, ate when I fed them. Monday when I got home from work I found 3 of my fish dead (the gramma, goby and damsel). checked my water peramiters and everything was the same as before Phos 0, pH 8.4, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, spec grav 1.024. temp is steady at 78 degrees.

No idea what happened. Any ideas of things I should look into? The only thing going on is I have a moderate amount of Diatoms at the moment that I have been dealing with for about 2 weeks.

side note, I have nano tank that I use the same RODI water for and everything in there is perfectly fine.

I'm just looking to see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas because I have no idea what happened.

erisedstraeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 11:08 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Go to your fish store, get water, put all your fish and surviving critters into a spare tank, bucket, whatever you've got, and oxygenate and heat it.

There are several possibilities, including contamination, toxin in the water, electric shock, a toxic substance in the air, or oxygenation failure. You also didn't list your alkalinity. [8.3 is good]. If you can get PolyFilter, put a square of that into the water flow and see if it turns colors. Main thing is get what's alive to good clean water. You might also ask your lfs for a device to test 'stray voltage', ie, a cracked heater case or other way for electricity to charge the water.

Meanwhile have the fish out, and start testing for problems. Describe your rig: skimmers and water-fall and fuges provide oxygen---any shortage? Any lit candles or household sprays or cleaning agents near the tank?

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 12:28 PM   #3
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Are any of the fish new additions?

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 01:04 PM   #4
erisedstraeh
Registered Member

no new fish, no new anything in last 2 months.

Unread 01/16/2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Could there be a power outage when you were not at home?

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 01:14 PM   #6
erisedstraeh
Registered Member

no power outage (all my clocks still had the correct time).

and my 2 clownfish and fine so it is really weird.

Unread 01/16/2018, 03:26 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

That's strange. I'm sorry to hear about your losses.

I would add some fresh carbon (again) and some PuriGen, if that was easy enough, in case something got into the water. I see that you added fresh carbon (not charcoal?) on Sunday, but I probably would replace it. I might check for any signs of metal contamination: a broken heater, a cracked magnet or pumps case, etc. I doubt that metal contamination is the issue if the corals are all doing well, though. I'd also check the ammonia morning and night for a day or so more.

The tank might have had some sort of short ammonia spike. Clownfish are tolerant of ammonia. Oh, sigh!

Unread 01/16/2018, 03:55 PM   #8
erisedstraeh
Registered Member

Thank you for all the great suggestions guys! I'm going to do some further investigating with everyone's suggestions. Appreciate the help!

Unread 01/16/2018, 03:56 PM   #9
erisedstraeh
Registered Member

PS. Bertoni, I did mean Carbon not charcoal, lol.

Tags
crashed tank, dead fish, help 46 gallon