Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/18/2018, 03:48 AM   #26
five.five-six
Registered Member

My son’s ruby red dragonet died a few months back. I tried to replace it before he noticed but the only ones I could find were about 1/2 it’s size. I ended up haveing that cycle of life with my son.

Next up, the: “girls and what makes them crazy chat”.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 135 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 250W X2 20k radiums mixed SPS
five.five-six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2018, 04:32 AM   #27
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Since we're off topic,I thought the whole purpose of purchasing captive bred was so thay would eat prepared food. Has that not been the case?

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2018, 10:10 AM   #28
Jamie1210
Registered Member

IME, my problem with mandarins wasnt that they didnt eat prepares foods but that they ate it soooo slowly that they got outcompeted by other members if the tank. They would stare at the food floating by, focus on one particle for the longest time and then FINALLY (if even) they would take a bite.

I know that there have been several reefers who have invented mandarin feeding homes from olive jars, and those are good ideas. But for most busy ppl, thats still a lot of work to be lifting a dropping jars in and out of the water on a daily basis for years to come!

So in that respect, unless they are kept in a tank by themselves, i would rather they just eat pods! (Provided the tank is large enough i guess)

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2018, 10:19 AM   #29
clsund
Registered Member

Jimmy, thank you for bringing up this topic and it is entirely NOT off topic. I bought these Mandarins as captive bred, implying that they were eating frozen foods. I believe that the website states as much. As well. I didn't get into it in my first post, but it's definitely very relevant. I had to buy the live pods because their captive bred Mandarins were not taking the Cyclopeeze. If you noticed, I wrote about how I had a pretty extensive conversation with Kevin about their feeding protocols with the Cyclopeeze (which they claim they use to feed their fish). The fact that my fish were not taking the Cyclopeeze is/was extremely concerning. If they had been raised on it, why weren't they taking it when I fed it to them? Rather than foal my water by feeding food the fish weren't eating, I resorted to the much more expensive method of buying to supplement my tank to ensure that they were well fed. But that brings into question ABs marketing and sales. Are they telling the truth about their products? Why aren't the fish eating food they were supposedly raised on? All very interesting questions to be sure. Also part of the reason why I stated Buyer Beware

As ffor those who sent condolences, thank you very much. My son is young so he got over it quickly.

Also always really interesting to see people jump to conclusions, make generalizations and start expressing opinions with limited knowledge.

clsund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2018, 10:25 AM   #30
clsund
Registered Member

The non-frozen eating fish are the bigger issue to me

Old 09/18/2018, 10:47 AM   #31
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Where are the captive bred Mandarins from? Biota? They are aquacultured, not tank bred unless I'm mistaken. I am having the same issue with the aquacultured fish I purchased recently. One is eating, the other two are picking, one just seems to be picking at the rocks. So I think aquacultured fish aren't guaranteed to eat right away just like other fish even if they were on prepared foods before they left.

DTOTM FEB 2018
BeanMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2018, 11:16 AM   #32
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanMachine View Post
Where are the captive bred Mandarins from? Biota? They are aquacultured, not tank bred unless I'm mistaken. I am having the same issue with the aquacultured fish I purchased recently. One is eating, the other two are picking, one just seems to be picking at the rocks. So I think aquacultured fish aren't guaranteed to eat right away just like other fish even if they were on prepared foods before they left.
Yes Cody, they're from Biota

Helpless..Will work for frags

GO DODGERS!!!

Current Tank Info: 24x24x24 Starphire cube, ARID Reactor, BM doser, ATI 8 x 24 Dimmable Sunpower, 1 Reefbrite XHO blue and 1 Reefbrite Tech blue, Ecotech Vectra M1, Aquamaxx ConeS CO1 skimmer, Gyre XF130 and MP10, JBJ Arctica 1/10HP chiller. Mixed reef
dodgerblew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2018, 11:18 AM   #33
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsund View Post
Jimmy, thank you for bringing up this topic and it is entirely NOT off topic. I bought these Mandarins as captive bred, implying that they were eating frozen foods. I believe that the website states as much. As well. I didn't get into it in my first post, but it's definitely very relevant. I had to buy the live pods because their captive bred Mandarins were not taking the Cyclopeeze. If you noticed, I wrote about how I had a pretty extensive conversation with Kevin about their feeding protocols with the Cyclopeeze (which they claim they use to feed their fish). The fact that my fish were not taking the Cyclopeeze is/was extremely concerning. If they had been raised on it, why weren't they taking it when I fed it to them? Rather than foal my water by feeding food the fish weren't eating, I resorted to the much more expensive method of buying to supplement my tank to ensure that they were well fed. But that brings into question ABs marketing and sales. Are they telling the truth about their products? Why aren't the fish eating food they were supposedly raised on? All very interesting questions to be sure. Also part of the reason why I stated Buyer Beware

As ffor those who sent condolences, thank you very much. My son is young so he got over it quickly.

Also always really interesting to see people jump to conclusions, make generalizations and start expressing opinions with limited knowledge.
have you and AB come to any understanding? I'm assuming no since you haven't posted any resolution. I think I asked you in my first post, how's the other one looking health and weight wise?

Helpless..Will work for frags

GO DODGERS!!!

Current Tank Info: 24x24x24 Starphire cube, ARID Reactor, BM doser, ATI 8 x 24 Dimmable Sunpower, 1 Reefbrite XHO blue and 1 Reefbrite Tech blue, Ecotech Vectra M1, Aquamaxx ConeS CO1 skimmer, Gyre XF130 and MP10, JBJ Arctica 1/10HP chiller. Mixed reef
dodgerblew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2018, 10:09 AM   #34
clsund
Registered Member

So the latest is that I emailed them this morning about my autoshipment that was supposed to go out Monday because I never received a shipment confirmation. They put my shipment on hold...without telling me... I've never seen such stupidity.