Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2015, 08:49 PM   #1351
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
I hope that works for you!
Feeding makes mine worse, but then I seem to have a really toxic strain. Whenever I siphon off more than 1/4 of the tank, I see waves of dead pods, bristleworms, etc. This is running fresh carbon, filterfloss, filter socks, skimming very wet. Microfauna no doubt the way to go, just find me a company who'll ship to Canada.

Did discover this morning that my hermit crab is in fact alive, he just moulted and switched shells. Don't know what the poor thing is eating in there, but go crabby!

ivy
I am not runny any mechanical filtration and I haven't fed my tank in months.

I already had some green film algae growing where dinos and cyano are. So hopefully i can get more of it.

I also did an order for Reef Pods and Pods + from reef cleaners.

I am considering a lights out once I start adding the pods, phyto etc.

Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 08:53 PM   #1352
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
This is the Zeovit people's coral snow? I see a couple of brands with that name.

ivy
He said "Pohls Coral Snow" and this is what I found. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/korall...a-special.html

Unread 07/22/2015, 10:30 PM   #1353
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrnalnrsh View Post
He said "Pohls Coral Snow" and this is what I found. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/korall...a-special.html
Heh and your link is to Pohl's extra special.. BRS is very iffy on shipping to Canada.

KZ is the company who put out Zeovit, but it's either marketed differently up here, or this isn't the same stuff:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s..._ID=zv-csnow02

ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 10:30 PM   #1354
fishy boy
Moved On

How do I post a question

fishy boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 10:57 PM   #1355
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy boy View Post
How do I post a question
you pretty much just did without a question mark.

Unread 07/22/2015, 11:23 PM   #1356
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Wink

Quote:
you pretty much just did without a question mark.

Unread 07/23/2015, 12:19 AM   #1357
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy boy View Post
How do I post a question
Are you trying to post a new topic of your own? When you're at the main subforum page, Eg "reef chemistry forum" where it lists all the questions, look above the list. There's a button called 'new thread'. Click that.

hope that helps a bit,
ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Unread 07/23/2015, 04:14 AM   #1358
DNA
Registered Member

I just browsed through dozens of dino threads on the internet.
If you have seen a similar or better dino thread than this one please post a link.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 11:00 AM   #1359
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Thx, I saw that post and its where I got the idea.

How bad was the tank and how long did it take to clear up.

I'd say 75% of my tank is covered.

EDIT: your link to IPSF looks copied paste from your PODS+
And I have an order of pods, worms, stars coming from IPSF
http://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/pods

I found http://ipsf.com/
Early on my tank was covered about 50%, the rocks and corals were 75% covered and the sand bed about 30%, It was stringy, snotty and had bubbles in it, I started blowing it off and vacuuming a couple times a day and filtering the water and putting it back in.
My battle was about 1 year but the beginning of the end of it was a couple months ago when I let it go dirty and started rebuilding my micro fauna and clean up crew.

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 11:14 AM   #1360
Dfee
Registered Member

Ok, when is it safe to add all the tiny critters ( pods, phyto, what else is recommended?) after Dino's start to recede after dirtying tank

Dfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 11:15 AM   #1361
Dfee
Registered Member

I don't want to buy and add all that just to find out it all died cause it was too soon

Unread 07/23/2015, 11:26 AM   #1362
dustinkimpel
Registered Member

Started H202 dosing last night. On day 2 of blackout, No dino is growing and what was there appears to be changing color. Will suck out all of the dino from the tank tomorrow, (day 3 of the blackout). Then on day 4 of blackout I plan to install new sump, UV and skimmer. Turn lights on during day 5 only for 2 hours and slowly increase each day. In theory this will give the UV time to kill the dino in the water column before they receive light. I have a 55 gallon tank and a UV rated for 200 gallons, water should get blasted pretty hard. Will keep updating.

Unread 07/23/2015, 02:37 PM   #1363
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
I just browsed through dozens of dino threads on the internet.
If you have seen a similar or better dino thread than this one please post a link.
They're probably in the wrong forum entirely and want to ask about protein skimmers or something.

Unread 07/23/2015, 02:39 PM   #1364
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinkimpel View Post
Started H202 dosing last night. On day 2 of blackout, No dino is growing and what was there appears to be changing color. Will suck out all of the dino from the tank tomorrow, (day 3 of the blackout). Then on day 4 of blackout I plan to install new sump, UV and skimmer. Turn lights on during day 5 only for 2 hours and slowly increase each day. In theory this will give the UV time to kill the dino in the water column before they receive light. I have a 55 gallon tank and a UV rated for 200 gallons, water should get blasted pretty hard. Will keep updating.
Oo, you're braver than I am. How much h2o2 are you adding per gallon? Do you have inverts?

ivy

Unread 07/23/2015, 02:43 PM   #1365
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfee View Post
I don't want to buy and add all that just to find out it all died cause it was too soon
Tagging along, because I'd like to know also. Esp if I pay import prices to get critters.

ivy

Unread 07/23/2015, 02:51 PM   #1366
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Tagging along, because I'd like to know also. Esp if I pay import prices to get critters.

ivy
I think based on Monti's findings from way back that some forms of plankton and pods will consume the dinos.

Unread 07/23/2015, 02:59 PM   #1367
dustinkimpel
Registered Member

Quote:
Oo, you're braver than I am. How much h2o2 are you adding per gallon? Do you have inverts?

ivy
Just 1mil per 10 gallons. I have a cleaner shrimp and most of my snails died from the dino... I tried to catch the cleaner but I couldn't trap him... he was just to smart. Some people reported the h202 killing their shrimp but mine doesn't appear to be affected at the moment.

Unread 07/23/2015, 03:05 PM   #1368
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, when is it safe to add all the tiny critters ( pods, phyto, what else is recommended?) after Dino's start to recede after dirtying tank
In my case I had physically beaten them back, I had removed my sand bed and got them to where they were a brown film growing on the rocks and glass but I could get no further, that's when I went dirty and started adding critters.
My dinos were caused by using algaex to try to rid a bubble algae problem, the algaex destroyed my micro fauna, every tube worm, brittle star, bristle worm, peanut worm, amphipod, copepod, you name it, I vacuumed their carcasses out for weeks.
I think it depends on the nutrient level of the tank, but IMO, I would take carbon, po4 remover and skimmer offline, no water changes and filter water back in if vacuuming, put 10uM socks on the drains and let the tank go until green micro algae is flourishing on the glass to where you can clean it everyday even encourage cyano. Then use chemiclean to get rid of the cyano(I did) and start adding critters and cleanup crew and phytoplankton, start skimming and a little bit of carbon. Now try to maintain po4 @ 0.03 and no3 @ 3ppm.
I am now back to my regular routine, I have a new sand bed back in weekly water changes, vacuum the half the sand every week, po4 binder, carbon, skimming 24/7, and enjoying the hobby again.

Unread 07/23/2015, 03:48 PM   #1369
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
In my case I had physically beaten them back, I had removed my sand bed and got them to where they were a brown film growing on the rocks and glass but I could get no further, that's when I went dirty and started adding critters.
My dinos were caused by using algaex to try to rid a bubble algae problem, the algaex destroyed my micro fauna, every tube worm, brittle star, bristle worm, peanut worm, amphipod, copepod, you name it, I vacuumed their carcasses out for weeks.
I think it depends on the nutrient level of the tank, but IMO, I would take carbon, po4 remover and skimmer offline, no water changes and filter water back in if vacuuming, put 10uM socks on the drains and let the tank go until green micro algae is flourishing on the glass to where you can clean it everyday even encourage cyano. Then use chemiclean to get rid of the cyano(I did) and start adding critters and cleanup crew and phytoplankton, start skimming and a little bit of carbon. Now try to maintain po4 @ 0.03 and no3 @ 3ppm.
I am now back to my regular routine, I have a new sand bed back in weekly water changes, vacuum the half the sand every week, po4 binder, carbon, skimming 24/7, and enjoying the hobby again.

Thanks! I just bought a canister filter and will use that to suck up as much as I can. Also purchased Chemi Clean.

I have a lot more green film algae growing over the dinos and it appears to be getting thicker. I can still see the bubble though. I wonder if anyone else has seen this?

Last edited by Adrnalnrsh; 07/23/2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Judi
Unread 07/23/2015, 03:53 PM   #1370
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Here are some pics

uploadfromtaptalk1437688397462.jpguploadfromtaptalk1437688409630.jpg

Could be a green cyano however.

Last edited by Adrnalnrsh; 07/23/2015 at 04:05 PM.
Unread 07/23/2015, 04:29 PM   #1371
Dfee
Registered Member

So let's say we're starting a system from scratch, what are all the critters? Phytoplankton, pods, what else?

Unread 07/23/2015, 04:32 PM   #1372
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

I would say add different stars and worms

Unread 07/23/2015, 06:00 PM   #1373
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Here are some pics

Attachment 323985Attachment 323986

Don't know but cyano would be a distinct improvement, if you ask me. Maybe it will smother the dinos?

Unread 07/23/2015, 06:06 PM   #1374
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
So let's say we're starting a system from scratch, what are all the critters? Phytoplankton, pods, what else?
Buy quality live rock from someone like Walt Smith, Tampa Bay Saltwater, etc. They're ecologically sound and you will get a diversity of life already present. I'm never going to start anything with dry rock again.

hth
ivy

Unread 07/23/2015, 06:58 PM   #1375
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Here are some pics

Attachment 323985Attachment 323986

Looks like cyano, I'd say it's better than dinos but I think it is a competitor and not a cure, I think you should be able to add micro fauna, pods, critters,
I liked the pods+ from Reef Cleaners because it is diverse.
http://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/pods