Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2010, 11:18 AM   #2526
Yossarian88
Registered Member

Hey there, just starting out in Tallahassee, running an Aquapod and going to start out a 75-gal pre-drilled glass tank that I picked up cheap. On the 75-gallon, the major purchase I will need is to add reef-quality lights. Goal is to start out slow, add live rock and dead rock over time while buying and adding on more stuff (sump/refugium, lights), then adding corals about a year from now. I have a big honking skimmer and a UV sterilizer froma previous fish-only tank, but I'm skeptical of using the UV sterlizer. I have been researching and want to do this right. I will have some questions that will probably sound dumb, as most of my recent research has been on nano tanks.

Yossarian88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2010, 02:50 PM   #2527
raiderob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post

To Reef Central
Be sure to start a new thread and post some picture of your set up. especially the new LEDs
Thanks for the warm welcome. I will do that =] where should I post the new thread when I'm ready???

raiderob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2010, 03:48 PM   #2528
crashxx
Registered Member

Hello. Newbie here in OK. Looking for any and all advice.

I'm building in a 180 gal reef tank into an old wet bar in my house. I'm putting it in an old wet bar so it will be a look thru from my kitchen to my living room. Dimensions will be 24X48 & 36 tall. I've been told live rock and a good pump w/ some power heads is all I need. I'm sure this is a matter of opinion. One question is how much flow will I need from my main pump? Should I have two overflows or just one? What kind of lighting will I need to reach that depth? I'd like to eventually have some corals.

crashxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2010, 06:39 PM   #2529
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
Hi,

Hi,

My name is Derek Berner. My wife, Leslie, and I are interested in building a marine aquarium and were referred here by ReefCentral member dataz722 from homebrewtalk.com, a beer brewing site he and I frequent.

My wife and I are absolutely brand new to aquarium keeping. I have a copy of The New Marine Aquarium which I am currently nose deep in. We plan to build a 70-90 gallon acrylic tank later this year.

I'm especially fond of Lionfish, but I'm told it's a very difficult fish to keep for beginners and potentially lethal. Is this true?

To Reef Central
Sounds like you're off to a good start. be sure to read and read and read. Most of us keep reef tanks and a lion fish can't be kept with a reef. However there are still quite a bit of those with aggressive tanks.
Good Luck

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2010, 06:42 PM   #2530
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian88 View Post
Hey there, just starting out in Tallahassee, running an Aquapod and going to start out a 75-gal pre-drilled glass tank that I picked up cheap. On the 75-gallon, the major purchase I will need is to add reef-quality lights. Goal is to start out slow, add live rock and dead rock over time while buying and adding on more stuff (sump/refugium, lights), then adding corals about a year from now. I have a big honking skimmer and a UV sterilizer froma previous fish-only tank, but I'm skeptical of using the UV sterlizer. I have been researching and want to do this right. I will have some questions that will probably sound dumb, as most of my recent research has been on nano tanks.

To Reef Central
There are no dumb questions. I'm sure if you ask there will be plenty of people that have had or have the same problem and will either want to know the answer or willing to offer a suggestion.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/04/2010, 06:57 PM   #2531
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashxx View Post
I'm building in a 180 gal reef tank into an old wet bar in my house. I'm putting it in an old wet bar so it will be a look thru from my kitchen to my living room. Dimensions will be 24X48 & 36 tall. I've been told live rock and a good pump w/ some power heads is all I need. I'm sure this is a matter of opinion. One question is how much flow will I need from my main pump? Should I have two overflows or just one? What kind of lighting will I need to reach that depth? I'd like to eventually have some corals.

To Reef Central
I would add, a good skimmer to one of the necessities, If you're planning on corals then I would suggest metal halides. And as far as a pump, I would suggest a good external pump like a iwaki or something similar.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/05/2010, 09:32 AM   #2532
NittyGritty
Registered Member

Yo, reef peeps...

My name is David, new to the hobby. Here to better educate myself and hopefully meet people that can help me in my journey. Thanks for your time...

Current Tank Info: breaking down one to build another!
NittyGritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2010, 09:46 AM   #2533
GhostCon1
Rebmem Deretsiger

Hey, my name is Bobby and I'm somewhat new, have had saltwater tanks for about 2 years, just now venturing into inverts and so far so good!

Been lurking for awhile and love looking at everyone's tanks, especially the massive ones from the rich and famous lol

Hope to continue to get lots of ideas and information like I have been from here before I registered.

Have a good day.

GhostCon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2010, 02:20 PM   #2534
scubasteve06
Jeeper Reefer

Whats up everyone I'm new here and I have a 125 that is going to be a FOWLR tank, I already have a 90 gallon mixed SA/CA cichlid tank, and a semi-planted 10g SA dwarf cichlid tank. Also wanted to say I've been in the hobby for 5 years now and haven't regretted a penny spent and its been a lot of them soon to be a bunch more that I can see with SW.

scubasteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2010, 04:19 PM   #2535
New90Gal
Registered Member

Hi all! my name is sabih and im a 23 year old full time student. i just got into this hobby after seeing my brother and his tank. i have a 90gal tank with built in overflow and 20 gal sump. we are still in the process of getting a skimmer and RO/DI unit and other hardware for the tank. any advice on tank mates or setup will be great! heres a picture of my empty tank. lolz

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0005.jpg (42.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0006.jpg (43.4 KB, 8 views)
New90Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2010, 07:08 PM   #2536
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittyGritty View Post
Yo, reef peeps...

My name is David, new to the hobby. Here to better educate myself and hopefully meet people that can help me in my journey. Thanks for your time...

To Reef Central
you'll find that there are plenty of people with the same addiction you have here on rc.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/05/2010, 07:11 PM   #2537
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostCon1 View Post
Hey, my name is Bobby and I'm somewhat new, have had saltwater tanks for about 2 years, just now venturing into inverts and so far so good!

Been lurking for awhile and love looking at everyone's tanks, especially the massive ones from the rich and famous lol

Hope to continue to get lots of ideas and information like I have been from here before I registered.

Have a good day.

To Reef Central
I like looking at the eye candy as well. knowing full well that I will never afford a tank like those.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/05/2010, 07:17 PM   #2538
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve06 View Post
Whats up everyone I'm new here and I have a 125 that is going to be a FOWLR tank, I already have a 90 gallon mixed SA/CA cichlid tank, and a semi-planted 10g SA dwarf cichlid tank. Also wanted to say I've been in the hobby for 5 years now and haven't regretted a penny spent and its been a lot of them soon to be a bunch more that I can see with SW.

To Reef Central
You are really going to love salt water. and you have a perfect size tank to start out with.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/05/2010, 07:27 PM   #2539
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by New90Gal View Post
Hi all! my name is sabih and im a 23 year old full time student. i just got into this hobby after seeing my brother and his tank. i have a 90gal tank with built in overflow and 20 gal sump. we are still in the process of getting a skimmer and RO/DI unit and other hardware for the tank. any advice on tank mates or setup will be great! heres a picture of my empty tank. lolz

To Reef Central
Be sure to start a new thread in the new to the hobby forum to help answer any questions you may have

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/05/2010, 08:32 PM   #2540
tazdog07
Registered Member

Hi my name is Teresa and I have been an addict for a year. I have considered setting up a saltwater tank for 20 years but just didn't have the time or money. Last year one of my sons friends started working for a pet store and I looked at his tank and next thing I kno - I am buying a tank. I started with a 150 gallon (jump in with both feet) and it has been an up and down experience. Wish I had known about RC before I bought the tank - maybe some of the downs wouldn't have been as low. Things are finally stable. Considering updating lighting to MH or LEDs from T5s but I have finally learned to research, research and research some more before I do anything lol. I love LPS and like lots of color. My tank is 26 in deep so I don't get enough light on the bottom of the tank - the tank looks top heavy - so I need to supplement or buy another fixture. I also have a 75 gallon fish only tank.

tazdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2010, 04:02 AM   #2541
Mikilios
Registered Member

Hello all. I am new to this whole addiction to aquaria... and as of yet do not have my own tank. I've been spending hours for the past two weeks now researching on reef tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, powerheads, water, live rock, etc etc. I've been to 6 local saltwater stores to "peruse" and speak with the knowledgeable folk there. It is amazing how customer service differs from store to store, but I have found Reef Central online... and well... here I am. Great community here from what I can see. Anyhow, all insight from the experienced aquarist to this novice looking to start his first reef system is welcome.

~Mikilios~

Current Tank Info: 50 g breeder/20 g sump+refugium Bubble Magus NAC6, 45lbs live rock, 1-1.5" sand bed
Mikilios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2010, 10:26 AM   #2542
boisestate208
Registered Member

whats up everybody, my name is miles i live in boise, ID. im fairly new to saltwater. i have a 29 gallon fowlr for the time being.some of my hobbies are camping, fishing, and of course my aquariums

Last edited by boisestate208; 05/06/2010 at 11:05 AM.
boisestate208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2010, 10:51 AM   #2543
gasbatalla
Registered Member

Hi RC, my name is Gaston, I'm from Costa Rica. I started with a 42 gallon tank back in december 2009, now I'm up to a 90 gallon, I got bit by the reef bug real bad.

gasbatalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2010, 08:13 PM   #2544
RiverCity
Registered Member

Trouble in River City

Hello. I am new to the forum and new to reef aquarium keeping.
I inherited a 40 gal reef tank that has 2 clown fish, 1 pseudo chroma, 2 frogspawn coral, 2 torchlight anemones, 1 feather duster, a giant crop of xenia, 4 hermit crabs and a whole host of snails.

Summer is here in ATL and I can't seem to get the temperature in my aquarium down.
The temperature now is around 82-84. A snail died and possibly a hermit crab. the rest seem ok. But I was told not to go above 80 for temp.
Does anyone have any suggestions besides a really expensive reef chiller?
Thanks!

RiverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2010, 08:48 PM   #2545
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdog07 View Post
Hi my name is Teresa and I have been an addict for a year. I have considered setting up a saltwater tank for 20 years but just didn't have the time or money. Last year one of my sons friends started working for a pet store and I looked at his tank and next thing I kno - I am buying a tank. I started with a 150 gallon (jump in with both feet) and it has been an up and down experience. Wish I had known about RC before I bought the tank - maybe some of the downs wouldn't have been as low. Things are finally stable. Considering updating lighting to MH or LEDs from T5s but I have finally learned to research, research and research some more before I do anything lol. I love LPS and like lots of color. My tank is 26 in deep so I don't get enough light on the bottom of the tank - the tank looks top heavy - so I need to supplement or buy another fixture. I also have a 75 gallon fish only tank.

To Reef Central

I wish that I found RC earlier as well. but good to finally have you with us. Be sure to start a thread full of pictures of your tank.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/06/2010, 08:51 PM   #2546
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikilios View Post
Hello all. I am new to this whole addiction to aquaria... and as of yet do not have my own tank. I've been spending hours for the past two weeks now researching on reef tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, powerheads, water, live rock, etc etc. I've been to 6 local saltwater stores to "peruse" and speak with the knowledgeable folk there. It is amazing how customer service differs from store to store, but I have found Reef Central online... and well... here I am. Great community here from what I can see. Anyhow, all insight from the experienced aquarist to this novice looking to start his first reef system is welcome.

To Reef Central
You must read through this thread It's full of great info

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/06/2010, 08:52 PM   #2547
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisestate208 View Post
whats up everybody, my name is miles i live in boise, ID. im fairly new to saltwater. i have a 29 gallon fowlr for the time being.some of my hobbies are camping, fishing, and of course my aquariums

To Reef Central Glad to have you here. Good to see you starting off slowly and hopefully one day you'll take the plunge into a reef tank.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/06/2010, 08:54 PM   #2548
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasbatalla View Post
Hi RC, my name is Gaston, I'm from Costa Rica. I started with a 42 gallon tank back in december 2009, now I'm up to a 90 gallon, I got bit by the reef bug real bad.

To Reef Central
got bit.... by this time next year you'll be using that 90 for a sump.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/06/2010, 09:03 PM   #2549
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
Hello. I am new to the forum and new to reef aquarium keeping.
I inherited a 40 gal reef tank that has 2 clown fish, 1 pseudo chroma, 2 frogspawn coral, 2 torchlight anemones, 1 feather duster, a giant crop of xenia, 4 hermit crabs and a whole host of snails.

Summer is here in ATL and I can't seem to get the temperature in my aquarium down.
The temperature now is around 82-84. A snail died and possibly a hermit crab. the rest seem ok. But I was told not to go above 80 for temp.
Does anyone have any suggestions besides a really expensive reef chiller?
Thanks!

To Reef Central

there are some other options for cooling a tank. 78-82 is about where you want to keep the temp. You can increase surface turbulence by aiming power heads towards the top of the tank, to aid in evaporation which will naturally cool the tank (the down side is having to top off more on a daily basis)
Change your lighting periods to later in the evening when it's cooler (some people that are at work all day start their lighting period right before they get home, that way they aren't wasting the viewing time when they are at work)

HTH

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/06/2010, 10:09 PM   #2550
guppy74
Registered Member

My name is Charles Guptill hence the nickname Guppy I Live in PA,I just recently got into Marine Aquariums thanks to a buddy of mine at work. Thanks a lot SirusX1721 lol just kidding bud. He also got me started on this site. I have a 29 gallon marine tank with 1 GSM Clown 1 Blue Damsel 2 Peppermint shrimp 1 Mexican Turbo Snail and 10 red legged hermit crabs. I also have a few other Fresh water tanks a 75 gallon (Tiger Oscar & Bala Shark) 3 10 gallons 2 5 gallons and a 29 gallon (African Cichlids).

Last edited by guppy74; 05/06/2010 at 10:35 PM.
guppy74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral