Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/28/2018, 07:14 PM   #1
mikeperkins
Registered Member

reef roids, reef frenzy causing KH-Calcium spike?

I have never taken a lot of test on my KH, CA, or MG levels because my reef tank has always seemed to be doing pretty well. I noticed a few things not doing great about a month ago and started testing to see what was going on. I was surprised to find all of those levels really high (almost off the charts) since I have never added supplements, I thought for sure the problem would be that my levels were low. Currently my KH is 13.7, CA 480, MG 1440. I tested my tap and that was not the issue, I use coral pro salt which seems to be pretty good. I have also bought 2 different test kits and have gotten very similar results. I am wondering if my issue is the food and supplements that I have been using which are reef roids and reef frenzy? Is anyone familiar with these and if they add Calc and MG? I am also wondering how I can start to bring down these levels without shocking my tank, thanks

mikeperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2018, 08:44 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Food products shouldn't add to the calcium, magnesium or alkalinity levels. I'd look elsewhere for the source of the problem. It's possible in theory to load food with those supplements, but I've never heard of such a report for those products.

Unread 12/28/2018, 09:58 PM   #3
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

With elevated numbers like that your salinity may be high. I would check salinity (how are you testing?) and confirm calibration of whatever you’re using to check salinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2018, 01:04 PM   #4
mikeperkins
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
With elevated numbers like that your salinity may be high. I would check salinity (how are you testing?) and confirm calibration of whatever you’re using to check salinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use a cheap one but went to a good reef shop by me after reading your suggestion and they said it was right at 1.025. I stopped doing water changes to see if the levels will come down on their own which they are doing very slowly but I just cant figure out what would have caused them to become so elevated in the first place. The tank looks great and everything seems healthy so I do not want to do anything drastic.

Unread 12/29/2018, 03:21 PM   #5
homer1475
Registered Member

What salt are you using, and have you tested a new batch?

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2018, 04:49 PM   #6
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeperkins View Post
I tested my tap and that was not the issue,

If you are using tap water it is adding alkalinity for sure, maybe calcium and magnesium too !! (plus possibly other unwanted nasty stuff)

salt mixes are designed to be mixed with ro/di water

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2018, 05:27 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

Most tap water will have some alkalinity and calcium in it, but the level can be very low. The alkalinity level should be measurable with reasonable precision with a standard alkalinity kit, so its effect can be computed fairly easily.

Unread 12/29/2018, 08:57 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Red Sea pro mixes high in the ranges, add some hobby grade testing flux, and your numbers seem closer, I use RR and it does not increasing anything, other than maybe nitrate..
If you want lower numbers try IO or RC which mix a but lower in the range.

As far as testing goes, once I brought all 8 parameters into range and kept them there consistently with little daily flux, coral Health and grow became much faster, for me, relentless testing proved great results.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2018, 02:34 PM   #9
mikeperkins
Registered Member

My tap has Calc of 40 and KH of 3.4. My Salt has calc 450 and KH 11.5. Could that be my issue? It sounds like a salt mix with lower nutrients might be the way to go

Unread 12/30/2018, 03:49 PM   #10
outssider
Registered Member

The way to go is to use Ro/Di water not tap water......who knows what unwanted elements are in your tap water (copper, zinc, tin...God knows what else)…...get yourself an ro/di unit ….

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2018, 04:08 PM   #11
bertoni
RC Mod

So I'd expect the fresh saltwater to be at 500 ppm calcium, and about 15 dKH. The dKh is a bit high, but it might be safe enough.