Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/27/2009, 03:56 PM   #1
JStraz4991
Registered Member

Deep sand bed or shallow?

What do you guys think is the best way to go a deep sand bed or shallow.its goin to be a FOWLR and later on in the future i am going to add coral.

Current Tank Info: 40g Breeder Reef.Purple Firefish,Royal Gramma,Green/Blue Chromis,and a mated pair of Clownfish
JStraz4991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Playa-1
Moved On

Both, A shallow sand bed in the tank and a remote DSB.

Playa-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2009, 04:12 PM   #3
JStraz4991
Registered Member

im not goin to have a sump thats in the future

Current Tank Info: 40g Breeder Reef.Purple Firefish,Royal Gramma,Green/Blue Chromis,and a mated pair of Clownfish
Unread 09/27/2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Been_There8
Registered Member

Thats how we all start off too. Fish only with live rock, and then we add corals. No, but seriously, i say shalow, i think a dsb looks disgusting when it gets covered with algae. Thats just an opinion though, i went BB and dont regret it a bit!

Been_There8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2009, 04:19 PM   #5
JStraz4991
Registered Member

would a 3 inch sand bed be suffiecent

Unread 09/27/2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Blownsvt
Moved On

i think i am going to do a 1-2" sand bed in my tank.

Blownsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2009, 04:25 PM   #7
JStraz4991
Registered Member

what about i have 2 inch sand bed and have 60- 70 punds of live rock.i have a 40 gallon breeder

Unread 09/27/2009, 07:49 PM   #8
christ102
Registered Member

1-2 inches, shallow for me.

christ102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2009, 07:50 PM   #9
JStraz4991
Registered Member

ok thanks i thinks thats what ill do

Unread 09/27/2009, 08:12 PM   #10
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

You're probably better off going with a shallow sand bed.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2009, 09:12 PM   #11
James77
Registered Member

A SSB is the best, add a RDSB if you start having nitrate problems. I do about 1" of Caribsea Seafloor Grade over starboard, and it does not blow around at all. Whenever I blast my rocks with a powerhead, at least once a month, I blow all the sand with it to clear out any detritus.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2009, 12:19 AM   #12
iceman79
Registered Reefhead

i agree DSB looks crappy in time SSB is the way to go

Current Tank Info: 72 bowfront mixed reef >20 gallon softie tank
iceman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2009, 06:30 AM   #13
Henry Bowman
Reefing since '87

2"... no more.

Current Tank Info: 90 gl SPS dominant / upgrade in the works
Henry Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2009, 02:26 PM   #14
JStraz4991
Registered Member

ok thanks for the help guys i think 2 inches is what ill do.and what about live rock du you think 60-70 pounds is good for a 40 gallon

Unread 09/28/2009, 03:08 PM   #15
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStraz4991 View Post
would a 3 inch sand bed be suffiecent
3" is not deep enough for a DSB to operate properly. The minimum is 4", and a range of 4" - 6" is most common. Most of the negatives (anecdotal) I read on DSBs are due to improper set up, and improper operation of the in tank DSB. It is not hard to properly set up an IN TANK DSB, you simply have to do it the right way. Things that need to be considered are the grain size used, and the flow rates in the tank, to name two. The DSB has to be "seeded" with the right type of critters, (packaged "live" sand is not good enough-- nor is most available "live rock." It must be fed and matured prior to adding "predetors" that feed on sand bed life, or the populations will never reach a sufficient number. (Just some examples) Like I said, it is not hard, you just have to approach it methodically. There is a right way and a wrong way.

A properly running DSB (in tank) will not have diatoms blooms on the surface (save new tank syndrome-- which self corrects) and the surface will be clean and "white." A THIN layer of Larger gravel/shell mix (caribsea grand bahamas or super reef) will keep the oolitic sand from blowing around the tank, and also provide building materials for burrowing fish to build their homes.

In tank DSBs have been in use since the 1960's, and have singley (along with "protein skimming" and live rock) been the most successful method of keeping what is known today as the "reef tank."

RDSBs can aid in the balance of the system, however it is removed from the main food chain. In a marine system "EVERYTHING" that is organic based, is a food source. (That may be too encompassing, but it is the idea, if not specifically so)

Regards,

Jim

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2010, 04:13 AM   #16
aleonn
Registered Member

I made the mistake of making a DSB of 5-6" in tank. Now it's full of algae and other gunk. For my new tank I'm targetting 2-2.5".

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2010, 02:43 AM   #17
newyorkstyles
Registered Member

Educational Video on Deep Sand Beds

Here are 2 educational videos illustrating a brand new deep sand bed, as well as a mature deep sand bed on 2 separate systems. I hope these videos help you guys understand deep sand beds better.

newyorkstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2010, 04:23 PM   #18
bertoni
RC Mod

There's a lot of personal choice involved. This thread might help:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=803688

Unread 11/14/2010, 05:40 PM   #19
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

I'd say go SSB with a good amount of live rock

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2010, 08:32 PM   #20
Mighunter
Registered Member

Newyorkstyles, thanks for those video's. Question as I'm gathering up what I need to set up a new 265 gallon tank...can I do a shallow sand bed in the display tank and a deep sand bed in the fuge and get the same benefits?

Thanks
Joe

Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2010, 08:42 PM   #21
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleof6 View Post
3" is not deep enough for a DSB to operate properly. The minimum is 4", and a range of 4" - 6" is most common. Most of the negatives (anecdotal) I read on DSBs are due to improper set up, and improper operation of the in tank DSB. It is not hard to properly set up an IN TANK DSB, you simply have to do it the right way. Things that need to be considered are the grain size used, and the flow rates in the tank, to name two. The DSB has to be "seeded" with the right type of critters, (packaged "live" sand is not good enough-- nor is most available "live rock." It must be fed and matured prior to adding "predetors" that feed on sand bed life, or the populations will never reach a sufficient number. (Just some examples) Like I said, it is not hard, you just have to approach it methodically. There is a right way and a wrong way.

A properly running DSB (in tank) will not have diatoms blooms on the surface (save new tank syndrome-- which self corrects) and the surface will be clean and "white." A THIN layer of Larger gravel/shell mix (caribsea grand bahamas or super reef) will keep the oolitic sand from blowing around the tank, and also provide building materials for burrowing fish to build their homes.

Regards,

Jim
I never understand why people say they are high maintenance and problematic - all they need is the right depth, proper sand, and occasional "reseeding" . I can understand people not caring for the look, though. But personally I enjoy observing all that life in the tank. Lower maintenance than other sand beds inho.

So long, & thanks for all the fish!

Current Tank Info: Pairs: flame angels, cherub angels, Red Sea mimic blennies, yellow fin fairy wrasses, clowns, mandarins, blackcap basslets, shrimp gobies, damsels, dispar anthias, yellow clown gobies, threadfin cardinals --- Tanks: 100g reef, 2 x 30g refugiums
Angel*Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2010, 09:10 PM   #22
Mike P
Registered Member

I have a DSB that I love a lot. It only gave me a problem once right after the cycle, but it corrected itself.

My advice is do some major research on both and find which one suits YOU the best. It really doesn't matter either way.

Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deep, sand, sand bed, shallow, substrate