Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2014, 08:12 PM   #1
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

~!~!~ need your help identifying this ~!~!~

Any ideas what this looks like so I can research a cure? It def looks like some type of bacterial infection. Look on the belly for the red swollen spot.

Unread 03/13/2014, 06:04 PM   #2
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Any ideas?

Unread 03/13/2014, 07:38 PM   #3
snorvich
Team RC member

Sorry, I cannot say. It does look bacterial, however. How is behavior?

snorvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2014, 07:56 PM   #4
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

It's being pretty timid and a lot of time hiding but the others are doing that too. When I'm out of the room it's swimming around like normal. I have 3 in the tank getting them ready for the display. I don't think any of them have eaten yet and today I have had them for a full week.

Unread 03/19/2014, 07:15 PM   #5
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Well 2 have died and the 3rd will be dead tomorrow. Within a matter of days he developed the sores too and went from being very active to barely staying upright and lethargic. I decided to take him out and freeze him to put him out of his misery quickly.

The freshwater dips didn't seem to work and I didn't have anything else available to try. Always a bad feeling wen you pull something out of nature that was probably living just fine and bring it home and kill it. Feels like such a waste.

Unread 03/19/2014, 07:22 PM   #6
snorvich
Team RC member

I feel badly that we were unable to help! Perhaps Uronema? Does not look like that, however.

Unread 03/19/2014, 07:34 PM   #7
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Well it would start as like a white rough patch almost like a fish that lost a bunch of scales, then it would get red like that, then it would open up into an open sore and the next day they would be dead

Unread 03/19/2014, 08:20 PM   #8
snorvich
Team RC member

Consistent with Uronema marinum

Unread 03/20/2014, 11:15 AM   #9
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

So my next problem I face is how can i make sure this tank is suitable for new fish? Is Uronema something that will exist in most tanks but only weakened or vulnerable fish are susceptible to it?

I am just so glad i have a QT and that this didnt spread and kill over everything in my display.

I really feel like i should bleach the tank and re-cycle it before I make any more additions. From what i have read Uronema can live without a host so just leaving it fishless for a while wont help. I beleive it feeds off of any algae present in the tank or decaying matter like leftover food which wont be present anymore. I dont think ill ever be able to get the tank clean enough while running to allow that to die off on its own.

What are your thoughts?

Unread 03/20/2014, 12:16 PM   #10
Deinonych
Registered Member

It is true that Uronema marinum is a free-living parasite. It infects fish opportunistically. If it were me, I would break down the QT, sterilize it and allow it to dry for 48 hours. Then refill with fresh salt water and start again. You can use Bio-spira to reseed the biofilter if need be.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote