Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/29/2007, 04:55 PM   #151
Slakker
Premium Member

I had to.

I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a gooseneck clip-on desk lamp and some 26 watt 6500k screw-in fluorescent bulbs. Lucky me, the bulb extends past the reflector of the lamp so any time I look directly at it my eyes get very angry with me. My quarantine has brighter lighting than my main tank...hehe.

They're a bit shy from it (hiding in the PVC) for now, but I think overall they'll be happier when their photoperiod doesn't rely on my sleep schedule being normal, which it usually is not.

Here's a photo:

Oceanic 58RR display/20H sump/fuge thread...follow the red house.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58g, 20H sump, AquaC EV-150, 175w Hamilton 14k + 2x39w T5HO Actinics
Slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2007, 05:15 PM   #152
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Just resist the urge to start shopping for corals, anemones, etc. to add to the treatment tank

Current Tank Info: Glass 2.5's
traveller7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2007, 05:40 PM   #153
Slakker
Premium Member

Hehe...I haven't even started looking at corals for the main tank (I'll admit, I do start to salivate a bit at the thought of a nice Euphyllia in there)
I think this light was a great buy...they both seem a bit perkier with their own lighting, and it makes it much MUCH easier for me to watch for any signs of infection. Plus their colors look much better than under the Prison bulbs my dorm room offers.

Plus those PVC polyps look great under the 6500k bulb

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58g, 20H sump, AquaC EV-150, 175w Hamilton 14k + 2x39w T5HO Actinics
Unread 04/29/2007, 06:47 PM   #154
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Quote:
Originally posted by Slakker
Plus those PVC polyps look great under the 6500k bulb
/waiting for folks to say the polyps are bleached

By the way, how is the main tank running these days? Zip on ammonia, nitrites, and a bit of nitrates?

Unread 04/29/2007, 07:13 PM   #155
Slakker
Premium Member

Yeah, all is well on the display. I haven't been testing it much, but since all the inverts are still doing well I can't imagine things are too far out of whack. A bit of red algae on the sand, but nothin crazy. I'm adding less food in the MT and cutting the photoperiod by a lil bit to see if that helps any. I may pick up a small powerhead to see if increased flow will keep things a little cleaner.

I haven't been testing much in the QT as the routine I developed was keeping things pretty stable, figured testing multiple times per day wasn't really necessary. Tested just now, though.

Temp: 77.6 (varies between 77-mid and 78-high depending on time of day.)
SG: 1.009
pH: ~8.0 (slightly less)
Ammonia: Undetectable.
All looks good in the QT/Treatment tank today.

However, I did just notice that the male's feces looked a little stringy, but not white. Have yet to see the return of any white or stringy feces on the female, though. Both clowns still eating normally, and breathing is pretty normal. Anything to be worried about (in addition to his reluctance to raise that fin?)

Also, I didn't really notice how bad his gill plate deformity was till I added this light...the plates are bent and so misformed that I can practically see into his head. He still finds himself on the bottom from time to time, but never tilts anymore and never sits in one spot for more than a second or two. Anything to worry about?

Last edited by Slakker; 04/29/2007 at 07:25 PM.
Unread 04/29/2007, 07:33 PM   #156
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Don;t know of any remedy for gill cover issues, some fish don't develop any at all and live long lives.

With the inverts you have, don't know if I would feed anything at this point. Assuming: There is some algae and you started with some live rock.

Possibly give the shrimp and crabs a piece of mysis every other day.
Possibly give the snails some nori every other day.

Target feeding is fun, and don't let anything in there rot

fwiw: again I am assuming you started with some live rock, the tank is fairly new, and hence still cycling based on the date posted in your profile.

Unread 04/30/2007, 08:30 AM   #157
Slakker
Premium Member

Yeah yeah. Started with LR and established LS. I guess probably still cycling to a point, but I don't think anywhere near what a full-blown cycle would do to the water quality. The girl I bought it from had it set up for a few months, but gave her rock to her then-boyfriend when she gave him her fish.
I will admit, even with all my research and preparation, I made the rookie mistake of trying to do too much at once...went out looking to buy more liverock, came home with a pair of clowns.

However, the main tank is developing a bit of new coralline here and there, so things can't be too bad in there.

Unread 05/04/2007, 11:51 AM   #158
Slakker
Premium Member

I'm now comfortable enough to start my four week countdown to the fish being cured. I haven't seen any of their typical illness behavior in a day or two. However, I'll have to move the fish from my dorm room to my house (luckily only about a 15 to 20 minute trip) on the 19th.

I'll be taking the main tank home ahead of time. Got that pretty much figured out, so I'm not too worried about moving the snails and hermits home.

I'm stressing a bit about my fish, though. What's the best way to get the clowns home without stressing them into a relapse of illness?

I was thinking that draining about two gallons of water into a 5 gallon bucket, putting in their PVC pieces, and lastly catching the clowns and putting them in. I have a battery operated air pump that I can use for the drive home.

Although, I could probably just drain their tank down to about 2 gallons and cover it with black paper and transport them in that, which would be a lot less stressful...

What are my best options?

Unread 05/04/2007, 12:14 PM   #159
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Bag them over moving them in the tank. The wave action of the longer distance proves problematic over time. For that distance, I would use the bucket to move 5 gals from the hospital tank home.

Capture the fish in a tuperware dish instead of netting them, pour them each into a separate 1qt or greater fish bag.

Premix water at home for both tanks since they are at separate specs. After the fish are back in hospital at home, add 5 gals of same stats water to the hospital over the next few hours.

Wait a few more weeks, then start topping off evaporation in the hospital tank with full strength saltwater to slowly bring the water conditions back to full strength.

Keep up the good work.

Unread 05/04/2007, 12:25 PM   #160
Slakker
Premium Member

I should be able to ask one of my LFS for some extra fish bags. I've been wanting to get a nassarius snail for my main tank anyways.
Also, I should just be able to temp acclimate them to the hospital once home since it's all the same water, right?

More good news: I've definitely seen the little guy shimmy for the larger clown. Well on their way to pairing up!

Unread 05/04/2007, 12:34 PM   #161
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Hmmmm, lets wait on the snail until after the fish get in the display tank. QT everything before it goes in your main tank, everything.

Yes, given the travel times you are working with, temp should be only thing to deal with, but discard the water the fish travel in.

Unread 05/04/2007, 01:46 PM   #162
Slakker
Premium Member

Alright...it all sounds simple enough.

Hopefully they make it through it all okay.

Unread 05/10/2007, 01:18 PM   #163
Slakker
Premium Member

Okay...so I may be making this whole business a lot more complicated.

I would love to do this:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...57#post9916357
to the Eclipse 12, and set up a little refugium in the back.

My plan is, in about two weeks, to start getting the kids back up to natural seawater levels (1.026). Once they're up there, I'm going to transfer the inverts and rock to the 10g, drain the 12, toss the sand (I should have tossed it in the beginning) and start "fresh" in the 12g. Add new sand, transfer the rock back over (I think transfer the biggest piece over, wait a week or so, transfer over the smallest piece, wait a week, and finally transfer the last piece of rock, the inverts, and the clowns over to the 12.) Add a bit of Chaeto and some LR rubble to the rear chamber with a light back there, and voila, refugium.

How bad of an idea is that?

Unread 05/10/2007, 02:13 PM   #164
traveller7
Time to get back in?

What is wrong with the sand?

Why not just put the algae and some rubble in the main part of the tank, save the hassle?

IMHO: A tiny fuge is more an exercise in DIY then a benefit to the tank. If you are going to enjoy the construction, additional critter stress during the moves, then go for it. I suspect your efforts will be better rewarded by focusing on your next tank, you know it is going to happen

IME: Tiny fuges are tremendously over rated vs. a ball of spaghetti algae in the main tank. One of these days I'll need to post pictures of the critters in the 3"x5"x12" mass of spaghetti in my breeder tank, low effort, high yield for the win ;>)

Unread 05/10/2007, 03:58 PM   #165
Slakker
Premium Member

I bet I could find a decent way to put some Chaeto in the tank without making it look silly.

The sand is leftover from the girl that had the tank before me, and she had her filtration off for several days to a week before I got it. The sand is full of god knows what...looking at it from the side, I can see chunks of algae or some other dark stuff in the middle of the sandbed. I'm not sure it's an issue, but it makes me a little uncomfortable. I'd really like to start fresh.

Unread 05/10/2007, 05:44 PM   #166
traveller7
Time to get back in?

If the rock is from the same source.....well you are sort of signed up already

Sand can be siphoned out of an existing tank with patience and new saltwater. Putting new sand in a running tank is a bit more problematic, but folks have done it.

If you are going to make the change, your plan sounds just fine to me

Unread 05/10/2007, 06:44 PM   #167
Slakker
Premium Member

The rock I bought on my own from two different LFS, so I'm not too far entangled in her previous issues. I'm worried that I'll end up uncovering something potentially dangerous if I end up moving the rock around...I'd just rest easier if I know what everything in my tank has been through. And if I give the rock a few weeks in the tank without inhabitants I think that'll seed the sand bed sufficiently that I won't have a dangerous cycle when the fish go back.

I think that I'll forego adding the chambers to my tank, and maybe do something similar with the next one. Though perhaps I'll throw the rock and inverts into a rubbermaid for a few days so I can paint the back...how long does Krylon Fusion take to dry? That's the best bet with an acrylic tank, right?

And for adding Chaeto to the tank...I could make a small "cage" for it out of egg crate...paint it black, and put it in the corner behind one of my rocks. Would make it easy to keep it under control.

Now that I'm actually going to have time to work on stuff I'm really excited...I think given some time, a bit of money (it'll be nice to have my summer income flowing again), and plenty of luck, this little tank will be real nice in no time.

Unread 05/14/2007, 05:58 PM   #168
Slakker
Premium Member

Alright...I've decided to toss the sand and get new. In the meantime, the rock and inverts (i'm down a turbo...seems the hermits got one.) are hanging out in a 14g Rubbermaid container with the filter from the Eclipse, a heater, and a cheap wal-mart powerhead. I've also painted the back of the tank black with some Krylon Fusion.

Here's the before (excuse the grunge):

Here's the after:

I'll need to buy some sand (Aragamax, probably) before I can get things up and running properly again.

I think it turned out rather nicely.

Unread 05/14/2007, 06:19 PM   #169
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Welcome to the world of DIY and nano modding, be careful it can be as addictive as keeping the critters

Nice job.

Unread 05/14/2007, 06:25 PM   #170
Slakker
Premium Member

Haha

It's true...I do have a few upgrades planned for this tank in the distant future. Lighting sooner than later, and far down the road adding a proper sump/fuge.

Unread 05/14/2007, 06:29 PM   #171
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Key to any successful art project: the proper blank

Eclipse is nice for what it is, the distance the material will travel beyond spec is not as generous as you will like.

IMHO, start with a better platform upon which to realize your dream.

Unread 05/14/2007, 09:03 PM   #172
Slakker
Premium Member

Yeah, probably good advice. But, I got it real cheap, and there's nothin wrong with being a little opportunistic now and then.

Unread 05/20/2007, 03:47 PM   #173
Slakker
Premium Member

Alright...big news!

I've got them moved from the dorms to my parents house alive. They're a bit freaked out, what with getting bagged and transported and all (someone has GOT to come up with a better way to do this...lol) but after an hour or so being back in their QT in the dark they started coming out and swimming around. They got about a 50% water change with the move, so it should be nice and clean in there for now.

I'm ashamed to say that I was a big behind on my maintenance for them (and the critters from my main tank...which had evaporated out almost two gallons of water...i still haven't double checked to see if anyone was alive after topping it off.), but when exam week rolls around i'm stressing about a lot more than just my tanks.

Everything has been fixed (hopefully), and now that I'm home to pay attention (should have told my parents to top off the other tank...i'm dumb.) things should be back on track.

I'll be heading out on a search to the LFSes for some Aragamax sand...the closest place only has the Special Grade Reef...i'm not sure why, but I'd rather have the finer, "oolitic" aragamax.

I'll keep you updated and get some pics as I go.

Unread 05/20/2007, 09:31 PM   #174
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Welcome home

Glad the fish made it home too

Unread 05/21/2007, 12:01 PM   #175
Slakker
Premium Member

Me too. In fact, after seeing them all happy and swimming as per their usual clowny selves this morning, I'm not 100% confident that they're gonna live after all. They're pretty tough lil fishes.

I'm not sure that I'd be quite so okay if someone trapped me in a cup, put me in a huge bag, moved me and my house somewhere completely new, and then tossed me back in.