Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 01/24/2017, 08:19 PM   #3526
drew930
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middletown, Ohio
Posts: 1,334
Can you runs these off Mac yet ? Or do you just control like by the box it comes with with the timers...


__________________
150 in progress ...
drew930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2017, 08:30 PM   #3527
timnem70
Registered Member
 
timnem70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logzor View Post
See my post above removing reflectors, no official response from ATI yet. I think it could help some users with this issue.
May void any warranty. Use caution, if you remove any part or modify in any way if you've got an issue you're screwed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


timnem70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2017, 05:01 AM   #3528
vikz
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew930 View Post
Can you runs these off Mac yet ? Or do you just control like by the box it comes with with the timers...
I use a mac but run parallels as the software is for windows only.


vikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2017, 11:01 AM   #3529
Livinlocal619
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoyPerth View Post
Well after posting this back in April 2016 and ATi agreeing to replace reflectors free of charge, i finally recieved my replacement yesterday 19th Jan 2017....Just a casual 8 months later. ATi sure do customer service right!

Wow, this single post changes my mind about buying a pm, thank you


Livinlocal619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2017, 11:12 AM   #3530
MadCityReefer
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Madison Wisconsin
Posts: 23
Love my light had for 1.5 years never any problems


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


MadCityReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2017, 11:16 AM   #3531
ReefCowboy
Registered Member
 
ReefCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinlocal619 View Post
Wow, this single post changes my mind about buying a pm, thank you
If you read this forum start to finish you will still not know if it is worth buying this fixture. Trust me it is one positive and a followed negative.
I would love to think different, as I would like to get one for my new tank. I think most would agree that the leds are too much money for low quality/repeated issues with the fixture.
Paying $700 for a 60" sunpower wouldnt get me so upset about fans being loud/needing replacement often. Now a $2400 unit with poor customer care would make me climb up walls angry.

A Sunpower with reefbrites for canopy users would be a better option, and in my case, an led T5 bulb for pop/dusk and dawn would be sufficient.

The use of white/red leds with this fixture is way overkill and not needed since the T5's offer plenty of light, unless one has a tall (24"+) tank


__________________
Rimless 150 Gal Sps System: Giesemann Spectra/New Apex/2x MP40qd's+ 2x Gyre XF250's/Cor20/Custom Stand, Sump and Algae Scrubber/2x DOS dosing/Skimz Octa 205i Skimmer
ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2017, 09:43 PM   #3532
Livinlocal619
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
If you read this forum start to finish you will still not know if it is worth buying this fixture. Trust me it is one positive and a followed negative.
I would love to think different, as I would like to get one for my new tank. I think most would agree that the leds are too much money for low quality/repeated issues with the fixture.
Paying $700 for a 60" sunpower wouldnt get me so upset about fans being loud/needing replacement often. Now a $2400 unit with poor customer care would make me climb up walls angry.

A Sunpower with reefbrites for canopy users would be a better option, and in my case, an led T5 bulb for pop/dusk and dawn would be sufficient.

The use of white/red leds with this fixture is way overkill and not needed since the T5's offer plenty of light, unless one has a tall (24"+) tank

The biggest reason I was referring to was the customer service. Eight months to send a replacement out is rediculous


Livinlocal619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2017, 10:05 PM   #3533
ReefCowboy
Registered Member
 
ReefCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinlocal619 View Post
The biggest reason I was referring to was the customer service. Eight months to send a replacement out is rediculous
Agreed, it is insane. If we are talking some small, cosmetic then we could understand debate from ATI back and forth with the customer. Now the burnt to crisp reflectors...terrible


__________________
Rimless 150 Gal Sps System: Giesemann Spectra/New Apex/2x MP40qd's+ 2x Gyre XF250's/Cor20/Custom Stand, Sump and Algae Scrubber/2x DOS dosing/Skimz Octa 205i Skimmer
ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2017, 10:24 PM   #3534
rtparty
Raise The Reef!
 
rtparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,496
One thing to remember is is that for every negative we see here, there are dozens that never have a problem. What's the old study? If someone has a negative experience they tell like 15 people on average. If they have a positive experience, they tell 3.

We're on a forum where people come to find help.


__________________
Ryan

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2017, 10:32 PM   #3535
ReefCowboy
Registered Member
 
ReefCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
One thing to remember is is that for every negative we see here, there are dozens that never have a problem. What's the old study? If someone has a negative experience they tell like 15 people on average. If they have a positive experience, they tell 3.

We're on a forum where people come to find help.
Agree, good point.


__________________
Rimless 150 Gal Sps System: Giesemann Spectra/New Apex/2x MP40qd's+ 2x Gyre XF250's/Cor20/Custom Stand, Sump and Algae Scrubber/2x DOS dosing/Skimz Octa 205i Skimmer
ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2017, 10:42 PM   #3536
rtparty
Raise The Reef!
 
rtparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
Agree, good point.
I know there have been issues with the LED Powermodule. Specifically, ballast failures. However, I've yet to find a product in this hobby that doesn't fail at some point. There are only a few I can think of that are true workhorses: Eheim 1260/1262 and some Tunze powerheads. Maybe the original MJ1200? That's for another thread though


__________________
Ryan

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2017, 09:12 AM   #3537
westreef
Lost as usual
 
westreef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Really California?
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
I know there have been issues with the LED Powermodule. Specifically, ballast failures. However, I've yet to find a product in this hobby that doesn't fail at some point. There are only a few I can think of that are true workhorses: Eheim 1260/1262 and some Tunze powerheads. Maybe the original MJ1200? That's for another thread though
I agree. Tunze ATO is very reliable also.
One comment is that the customer service of ATI has a lot of room to improve.

Just come back from 18 days vacation. No failure in all equipment and all corals are doing fine, just some brown algae on rocks and sand -- lucky me!


__________________
Bernie

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator
westreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2017, 09:29 AM   #3538
rtparty
Raise The Reef!
 
rtparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by westreef View Post
I agree. Tunze ATO is very reliable also.
One comment is that the customer service of ATI has a lot of room to improve.

Just come back from 18 days vacation. No failure in all equipment and all corals are doing fine, just some brown algae on rocks and sand -- lucky me!
When Reefgeek was around, they were the best ATI customer service. I thought the old Reefgeek owner became ATI North America but the service didn't follow.


__________________
Ryan

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2017, 10:24 AM   #3539
tbone28
Registered Member
 
tbone28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 7,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
When Reefgeek was around, they were the best ATI customer service. I thought the old Reefgeek owner became ATI North America but the service didn't follow.
Did Greg become ATI North America? If so, the service certainly didn't follow. I didn't have a great experience with them resolving my issue


tbone28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2017, 10:26 AM   #3540
rtparty
Raise The Reef!
 
rtparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone28 View Post
Did Greg become ATI North America? If so, the service certainly didn't follow. I didn't have a great experience with them resolving my issue
I thought that is what happened but am not positive


__________________
Ryan

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2017, 06:11 PM   #3541
Retzius
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 359
Part of the club now, should have my fixture Friday!


Retzius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2017, 01:17 AM   #3542
marthin
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 75
UK here and after getting my unit, the less were random.. in fact that light was random, so a new controller were shipped. Quickly, so good customer service. Then the Led's were still not working as well as a fan that wouldn't come on. The unit is running HOT!! i was tempted to do a video how to fry an egg on it (actually not kidding) and the T5's are not lasting nearly as long as in my sun powers. (I have every single sun power from past upgrades)
They fixed the led but not the fan, it's 18 months down the line and I would seriously not buy this unit if you have alternatives.
This was coming from someone who swore by ATI units.. yes, the unit produces a HUGE amount of light, but the hot running, poor customer service and cost of more frequently replacing the tubes are not worth it.
if the electricity goes off, I loose my clock setting. This was a huge issues when your working away from home. Yet, I was told that the seller has a PM hybrid that retains it's clock..
Due to issues I have lost many a coral and anemone and I'm still angry that ATI could not fix a freaking fan, cause it was sold to be on the basis that it ws temperature controlled.. I would love to have noisy fans, but my fans is so silent, cause they don't work... rant over.
I would love to love this unit, but in all fairness, I'm counting 50 plus times that i recommended people to spend their money on something that is less problematic.

never thought I will say it, but I miss my halides



Last edited by marthin; 02/12/2017 at 01:18 AM. Reason: not finished writing
marthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2017, 09:22 AM   #3543
ReefCowboy
Registered Member
 
ReefCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthin View Post
UK here and after getting my unit, the less were random.. in fact that light was random, so a new controller were shipped. Quickly, so good customer service. Then the Led's were still not working as well as a fan that wouldn't come on. The unit is running HOT!! i was tempted to do a video how to fry an egg on it (actually not kidding) and the T5's are not lasting nearly as long as in my sun powers. (I have every single sun power from past upgrades)
They fixed the led but not the fan, it's 18 months down the line and I would seriously not buy this unit if you have alternatives.
This was coming from someone who swore by ATI units.. yes, the unit produces a HUGE amount of light, but the hot running, poor customer service and cost of more frequently replacing the tubes are not worth it.
if the electricity goes off, I loose my clock setting. This was a huge issues when your working away from home. Yet, I was told that the seller has a PM hybrid that retains it's clock..
Due to issues I have lost many a coral and anemone and I'm still angry that ATI could not fix a freaking fan, cause it was sold to be on the basis that it ws temperature controlled.. I would love to have noisy fans, but my fans is so silent, cause they don't work... rant over.
I would love to love this unit, but in all fairness, I'm counting 50 plus times that i recommended people to spend their money on something that is less problematic.

never thought I will say it, but I miss my halides
Wow, that sucks. Would you say is best to stick with sunpower then? Im about to pull the trigger for an upgrade future tank


__________________
Rimless 150 Gal Sps System: Giesemann Spectra/New Apex/2x MP40qd's+ 2x Gyre XF250's/Cor20/Custom Stand, Sump and Algae Scrubber/2x DOS dosing/Skimz Octa 205i Skimmer
ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2017, 09:28 AM   #3544
marthin
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
Wow, that sucks. Would you say is best to stick with sunpower then? Im about to pull the trigger for an upgrade future tank
It's a personal choice. There are a ton of beautiful tanks out there with hybrids and many that is not.

i wouldn't again and is looking at alternatives at the moment.


marthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2017, 11:33 AM   #3545
rtparty
Raise The Reef!
 
rtparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
Wow, that sucks. Would you say is best to stick with sunpower then? Im about to pull the trigger for an upgrade future tank
After having had both, I'd take a stock Sunpower any day. I always felt the self controlled fans brought in too many variables that could fail.

My ATI LED Powermodule had issues from day one but I resolved them. After that, I never had another issue with mine. I only had it about 6 months I think.

With the new E5 bulbs, I think the standard Sunpower is a great way to go. Personally, if my Gmann MH/T5 fixture has any issues or bulbs become hard to find, I'm going with a 6 bulb Sunpower. 4 T5s and 2 E5s. Sleek, easy to run, proven performance.


__________________
Ryan

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2017, 11:35 AM   #3546
westreef
Lost as usual
 
westreef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Really California?
Posts: 834
I have been asked the same question whether one would buy this unit, and my answer has been the same -- it is a fantastic fixture but not too reliable and the customer service has a lot of room for improvement. With such an expensive unit, we deserve better. There are many alternatives to choose.


__________________
Bernie

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator
westreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2017, 12:27 PM   #3547
ReefCowboy
Registered Member
 
ReefCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
After having had both, I'd take a stock Sunpower any day. I always felt the self controlled fans brought in too many variables that could fail.

My ATI LED Powermodule had issues from day one but I resolved them. After that, I never had another issue with mine. I only had it about 6 months I think.

With the new E5 bulbs, I think the standard Sunpower is a great way to go. Personally, if my Gmann MH/T5 fixture has any issues or bulbs become hard to find, I'm going with a 6 bulb Sunpower. 4 T5s and 2 E5s. Sleek, easy to run, proven performance.
I gotta tell you, finding lighting for my next tank has been hard. Ive ran leds, mhs and T5's.
I cant run T5s without the led for supplementing, I really like the pop for dusk/dawn. I am set on the T5's as main source of lighting, I love what it does for the sps colors. I just need a bit of blue leds for aesthetics/night viewing.

The Spectra MH/T5 looks nice but it is an oven. I will regret it in the summer...

My issue is, there are NO hybrid fixtures out there worth the try... the powermodule is the best choice, but this thing seems like a pandora's box, youll never inow what is going to happen with your unit. To me it seems like a poor design with heat issues. For the money way more is expected.

I have a regular Sunpower 6x39 w and love it. Looks are good, no heat issues, excellent par, excellent spread. Forget dimmeable, I know better by now.
I am OCD with detail so theres no way I would add reefbrited to a sleek T5, IMO looks like a horrible DIY project at the end.

PAc Sun seems ok, but ive read/heard bad stories about that company without going into detail, Im def sticking to another US distributor.

My last resort is indeed an 8x80w sunpower with 2x E5X blues... I contacted Euroquatics and they said they are finishing some last distribution issues and should launch them. That would be the salvation of the people looking for a T5 light with led supplementing.


__________________
Rimless 150 Gal Sps System: Giesemann Spectra/New Apex/2x MP40qd's+ 2x Gyre XF250's/Cor20/Custom Stand, Sump and Algae Scrubber/2x DOS dosing/Skimz Octa 205i Skimmer

Last edited by ReefCowboy; 02/12/2017 at 12:32 PM.
ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2017, 12:29 PM   #3548
rtparty
Raise The Reef!
 
rtparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
I gotta tell you, finding lighting for my next tank has been hard. Ive ran leds, mhs and T5's.
I cant run T5s without the led for supplementing, I really like the pop for dusk/dawn. I am set on the T5's as main source of lighting, I love what it does for the sps colors. I just need a bit of blue leds for aesthetics.

My issue is, there are NO hybrid fixtures out there worth the try... the powermodule is the best choice, but this thing seems like a pandora's box, youll never inow what is going to happen with your unit. To me it seems like a poor design with heat issues. For the money way more is expected.

I have a regular Sunpower 6x39 w and love it. Forget dimmeable, I know better by now.
I am OCD with detail so theres no way I would add reefbrited to s sleek T5, IMO looks like a horrible DIY project at the end.

PAc Sun seems ok, but ive read bad stories about that company without going into detail, Im def sticking to another US distributor.

My last resort is indeed an 8x80w sunpower with 2x E5X blues... I contacted Euroquatics and they said they are finishing some last distribution issues and should launch them. That would be the salvation of the people looking for a T5 light with led supplementing.
Nanobox retro? Keeps the fixture looking stock and better control over the LEDs. Cheaper than an LED Powermodule and probably better built to be honest


__________________
Ryan

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2017, 12:39 PM   #3549
ReefCowboy
Registered Member
 
ReefCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
Nanobox retro? Keeps the fixture looking stock and better control over the LEDs. Cheaper than an LED Powermodule and probably better built to be honest
Not a bad choice at all, heard it is a good option. Im just curious as to how these E5x's will turn out. If they are dimm just s tad better than the prefious E5's, I might consider the nanobox... if they put out ok light(noticeable), then Im set.
I hear with the nanobox one can also galvanize the fixture?
Any colors available? I figure you would know as you know T5


__________________
Rimless 150 Gal Sps System: Giesemann Spectra/New Apex/2x MP40qd's+ 2x Gyre XF250's/Cor20/Custom Stand, Sump and Algae Scrubber/2x DOS dosing/Skimz Octa 205i Skimmer
ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2017, 12:47 PM   #3550
rtparty
Raise The Reef!
 
rtparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
Not a bad choice at all, heard it is a good option. Im just curious as to how these E5x's will turn out. If they are dimm just s tad better than the prefious E5's, I might consider the nanobox... if they put out ok light(noticeable), then Im set.
I hear with the nanobox one can also galvanize the fixture?
Any colors available? I figure you would know as you know T5
I don't know everything Dave can do but I've heard nothing but praise for his work. His website has a lot on it and I know he responds well. I think he can do just about any color you want for a price. Might be a great option for you


__________________
Ryan

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.