Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2012, 01:23 AM   #201
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Morgoth is now out and has been drip acclimatizing for 1hour, Juggernaut now has his old den, once Leviathan is out as well of the temp tank, I shall remove the divider giving Juggernaut free range of the temp tank....and its snail inhabitants (moved them all to Leviathans side before I released the Juggernaut).

More to come as Morgoth is the first mantis to be added to my Ultimate Multi Mantis System(s).

EDIT: Also got the remainder live rock for STAND A & B today so instead of them having 1-2 small pieces of Live Rock, each compartment now has a good large chunk of Live Rock.

Last edited by Kharn; 06/03/2012 at 01:34 AM.
Kharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2012, 03:32 AM   #202
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Although not my greatest pics (since the glass has crap all over it) but none the less Morgoth is now in his final home, he hasn't really moved since going in so I think he is adjusting to his new surroundings, I wanna see how deep he will dig =).

I like how the black background gives it an almost real night time view as if the camera is under water in the ocean =D still you can see some water marks from drops that ran down the front -_-.

I plan on as I have done, just moving the current Live Rock out of the compartments being used and into the vacant ones so I still get the benefit of Live Rock in there.

More to come
(and clearer pics next time as I'll wipe the glass down).

Unread 06/03/2012, 03:35 AM   #203
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Here is Morgoth again just I wiped the glass down this time.

Morgoth begins to descend into the sandbed!

More to come =D

Unread 06/03/2012, 05:19 AM   #204
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Leviathan was just added to the bottom tank of STAND C I was surprised by how quickly he settled in, as soon as he hit the sand he began to dig and he has dug quite a fair bit so I am very certain that STAND C has been a success, Morgoth must still be settling in as he hasn't started digging more then the last pic but, as I type this Leviathan has already dug a burrow big enough to hide himself lol which I take as a good sign =).

I'm about to take some more pics of the progress Leviathan made considering how swift he was at it!

Unread 06/03/2012, 05:50 AM   #205
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Leviathan loves sand he needs his burrow

The booty shakin' phase

More to come as Morgoth starts to make a burrow too

Unread 06/03/2012, 06:07 AM   #206
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

I would kill for a timelapse of the digging/cave making.

TundraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2012, 06:11 AM   #207
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraGuy View Post
I would kill for a timelapse of the digging/cave making.
I thought about it but decided not to as I would require a light on them all night perhaps and didn't want to stress either out beyond the flash of a camera, the real filming will begin once I start feeding them again and I am pritty sure there hungry since they only got fed once in the temp tank and both humbugs are STILL alive -_- but now that the Juggernaut is free from its confines....perhaps those fish may not last long who knows.

I'll never get humbugs again xD lol

Unread 06/03/2012, 06:17 AM   #208
Kharn
MANTISMAN

All the smasher will go in this coming weekend =) then I'm going to go on a shopping trip for various live foods to fill the temp tank with I'll keep the aggressive opportunistic live food in the sump (hermits/crabs etc) whilst I fill the top with fish/snails, I'll prolly add more sand to the temp tank (top tank not sump) and put all the live rock back in the sump, that way I can get the sand dwelling snails as well to get it more diverse.

Ordered some special bulkheads 'foot valves' that will screw into my bulkheads on the inside of the tank (after I remove the DIY grates I did which won't be hard) this will prevent snails etc from clogging the intake/outtake in each tank much like an overflow does.

Unread 06/03/2012, 06:17 AM   #209
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

You need an octopus to feed the humbugs to. Lol don't get an octopus. We will lose you to the Seth forums.

Unread 06/03/2012, 06:22 AM   #210
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
You need an octopus to feed the humbugs to. Lol don't get an octopus. We will lose you to the Seth forums.
There VERY tempting but I keep reminding myself that its a short lived dream (1yr) that costs x5 what I am currently putting out for these interesting creatures, basically everything I spent on the stomatopods to date would only get me 1 really good running ceph tank and even then the slightest water problem....insta death!

The ratio of cost : enjoyment is so good with stomatopods!!! Has to be the best single saltwater creature one could keep!

P.S. Leviathan has now dug himself a full burrow completely covering himself, Morgoth refuses to dig and has me worried can only hope Morgoth is ok.

Unread 06/03/2012, 06:30 AM   #211
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Morgoth may need some help. I hope the thing Roy was talking about not digging anymore has not happend but if it has what will you try? Man that's a bumer thinking about it.

Unread 06/03/2012, 06:47 AM   #212
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Morgoth may need some help. I hope the thing Roy was talking about not digging anymore has not happend but if it has what will you try? Man that's a bumer thinking about it.
Not to sure yet...gonna wait the night and see what happens... fingers crossed!

Unread 06/03/2012, 06:48 AM   #213
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Here is a parting pic (I'm off to bed) of Leviathan all snug in his newly swiftly built burrow.

More to come!

Unread 06/03/2012, 08:40 AM   #214
King Venom
Registered Member

My Peacock i think it a She, has dug the whole dam tank up.

Unread 06/03/2012, 08:43 AM   #215
King Venom
Registered Member

Hey how do you get such high quality pictures.

Unread 06/03/2012, 11:14 AM   #216
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Kharn please keep testing everyday and have water on hand for a fast waterchange if needed. O and Fart wants to see a pix of your hand.....

Unread 06/03/2012, 11:46 AM   #217
Fartin'Gary
Registered Member

I finally saw Dolores my peacock open up her hammer to clean it. You know the spear part of it!

Fartin'Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2012, 03:49 PM   #218
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Proud to announce that STAND C has been a complete success by this I mean the stand is working as intended and both large spearers have settled in nicely, although Leviathan took to the tanks surroundings quite fast and built his burrow literally straight away, Morgoth was a bit more 'skittish' either way I woke up this morning to find a happy Morgoth in his burrow patiently awaiting/on guard.

I will get pics of Morgoth in his burrow this evening when I get home from work!

Now for STAND A & B (this weekend)

Unread 06/03/2012, 03:51 PM   #219
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Venom View Post
Hey how do you get such high quality pictures.
It's because the tanks are painted black to prevent light entering along with having a very good camera but most importantly, patience!

This whole project is based on pics / vids so there meant to be really good xD

Glad you like 'em!

Unread 06/03/2012, 03:52 PM   #220
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Kharn please keep testing everyday and have water on hand for a fast waterchange if needed. O and Fart wants to see a pix of your hand.....
I am virtually positive that the large spearers are happy, I think Morgoth was just in a bit of shock either way he has created a burrow significant in size enough to hide himself.

So no mantis lost the ability to form burrows!

Having said that I do plan on testing again this evening!

Unread 06/03/2012, 03:55 PM   #221
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
I got hit by Maximus about a 4-4.5inch G.graphurus (really big for its species) even now my finger does NOT retract as far back as its counterpart (about 75% bend) its still quite crunchy every time I bend the finger to make a fist, thats the worst part.....not being able to make a proper fist.....

I'll upload a pic when I can but isn't there another thread I did with pics of my finger and the lump on its joint, the whole reason why it was so bad was only because he got me in the worst spot (or best I guess) he possibly could, rite on a joint.

Unread 06/03/2012, 08:08 PM   #222
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Dude just lock your self in the man cave...... um scratch the man enter mantis cave molt and when your done the joint will work just fine again............ o wait that's not for us humans

Unread 06/03/2012, 09:34 PM   #223
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Dude just lock your self in the man cave...... um scratch the man enter mantis cave molt and when your done the joint will work just fine again............ o wait that's not for us humans
I was most happy seeing Morgoth sitting in his freshly dug out burrow =) which puts my mind at ease with both now retaining there ability to create burrows

Unread 06/03/2012, 09:36 PM   #224
Kharn
MANTISMAN

As far as my finger....I dunno neither do the Dr's.

Unread 06/03/2012, 10:50 PM   #225
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Just went home to have a squiz at STAND C and make sure Morgoth & Leviathan are settling in, so far so good, Leviathan has really dug himself a burrow, I couldn't see him, only a black hole in the sand. Morgoths eyes still poke out of the sand =) will test the water tonight when I knock off work.