Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2017, 11:19 AM   #1
TDB
Registered Member

Angry Epoxy

Is there a secret to using expoxy to mount coral frags inside the tank underwater ? I am having issue getting them to stay attached

Unread 11/19/2017, 11:28 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

I use JB Waterweld and (pick a brand) SuperGlue Gel.

Mix up enough JB WW for the job, then divide in half. Mash the first half into the rock where you want to place the frag. Press the frag into the other half, then remove it. Put a drop or two of SG in the depression left by the frag and put frag back in place. Put another couple drops of SS on the base of the frag/JB WW combo and then mash it all into the other half of the JB WW already in place on the rock. You may have to hold it for a few seconds to allow it to set, then let it fly, be free.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 11:14 PM   #3
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Tunze Coral Gum works great for me if you don’t mind the cost. The little tube should last you a while unless you have a bunch of gluing to do.

Volcmreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 07:26 AM   #4
nanosteve309
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I use JB Waterweld and (pick a brand) SuperGlue Gel.

Mix up enough JB WW for the job, then divide in half. Mash the first half into the rock where you want to place the frag. Press the frag into the other half, then remove it. Put a drop or two of SG in the depression left by the frag and put frag back in place. Put another couple drops of SS on the base of the frag/JB WW combo and then mash it all into the other half of the JB WW already in place on the rock. You may have to hold it for a few seconds to allow it to set, then let it fly, be free.
^ +1

Keyword there is Gel! Make sure the superglue you use is Gel based.

nanosteve309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 07:43 AM   #5
RobZilla04
Registered Member

The reef safe super glue from my LFS works well. You just have to hold them steady for a minute or two. Helps if you turn off the flow while placing new frags.

Unread 11/20/2017, 09:14 AM   #6
JTL
Registered Member

Dollar Store, 2 tubes for a buck

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 09:19 AM   #7
smatter
Registered Member

The superglue/epoxy recipe above works great. I second the Tunze Coral Gum. It comes in two separate containers rather than usual sausage form. It cures quickly and has more stickiness to it than other epoxy I have used so in most cases I don't need the superglue anymore. The best part about it is that it doesn't make your skimmer overflow for hours.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 10:56 AM   #8
braappn
Registered Member

I am also new to using superglue underwater, and have learned to turn my pumps off when doing so. If a little bit of uncured super glue gets away from you it will float. You can grab it easy if pumps are off but with pumps on I had some get into my overflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

braappn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 12:19 PM   #9
EMeyer
Registered Member

I always read about this putty + superglue + putty sandwich approach. Doesnt that end up with a huge thick layer of putty and glue under the coral?

Super glue gel from the dollar store is all I use. Typically you can get frags attached with a pretty thin, barely visible layer of glue in this way.

EMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 01:59 PM   #10
hkgar
Registered Member

frome top on down - super glue, epoxy, super glue.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 06:43 AM   #11
NS Mike D
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMeyer View Post
I always read about this putty + superglue + putty sandwich approach. Doesnt that end up with a huge thick layer of putty and glue under the coral?

Super glue gel from the dollar store is all I use. Typically you can get frags attached with a pretty thin, barely visible layer of glue in this way.
trim the plug so that the base of plug sits close to the rock. Also I roll the epoxy into a thin bead and wrap it around the edge of the plug and then under. I find doing this uses less epoxy, creates a more natural look and creates more surface area to hold the plug in place

NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote