Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2017, 10:29 AM   #1
bclaus
Registered Member

28 Gallon Aquaeuro Skimmer

Hey guys, I currently have a 28 gallon aquaeuro tank that was given to me by my father in-law. It has been set up for about 2 years now, and is doing alright, however I noticed that the skimmer had stopped working. I can feel the energy flowing through it from the plug (it vibrates) but it just doesn't work.
I have been looking into getting a new one, but I am wondering how detrimental it is for my tank to not have this skimmer running? Any help is appreciated!

bclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 10:35 AM   #2
ROB2005
Reefing Is My Passion!

It is possible to run a tank without a skimmer. Just be sure to keep up on your water changes and other things. Did you disassemble the pump and see if the impeller turns freely?

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon corner overflow, 4-54W T-5 , dozen blue hermits, tiger pistol/yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, banghai and pajama cardinals
ROB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 10:37 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

A skimmer is not a mandatory piece of equipment at all..
aka...No tank needs a skimmer..

Unread 10/20/2017, 10:44 AM   #4
bclaus
Registered Member

Rob2005, I have no idea what an impeller is... I am fairly new with terminology and the scientifics behind this hobby... but I pretty much took it all apart, cleaned it out, and plugged it back to see if it would work... and nothing.
Thanks mcgyvr - I will keep up on my water changes. Everything seems OK now, so I guess I will keep going

Unread 10/20/2017, 12:09 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Typically pumps need some maintenance performed on them (just like anything else)..
And they typically fail because the thing that turns to make the water move is not moving anymore.. That can happen because stuff builds up on it seizing it up or the magnet that is used to make it spin has broken/expanded or the bushings seize up or whatever..

Pumps are really easy to take apart and clean/inspect and buy a new impeller if needed or just clean it up and put it back together..

See this for an example.. Its usually just a twist/pull and you have access to the impeller to clean..
http://www.americanaquariumproducts....01100parts.jpg

Note you can also run it in a mixture of like 10 parts water to 1 part vinegar for a while and that can soften up any buildup and get it going again but its best to take it apart and bust out an old toothbrush on it and clean it up/inspect for cracks,etc...

Unread 10/20/2017, 12:59 PM   #6
bclaus
Registered Member

that's awesome! Thanks for the detailed help!!

Unread 10/20/2017, 02:05 PM   #7
bclaus
Registered Member

So, I don't have an impeller in my skimmer... I have a Biocube Protein Skimmer, so I have taken it apart, and I feel like the issue is the Airstone. So I am soaking it in water and vinegar to see if I can rejuvenate the stone. I will update when it's all done

Unread 10/20/2017, 03:00 PM   #8
rockhead51
Registered Member

No! Don't soak the first one in vinegar- far too porus and will absorb too much acid. Chuck it and get a new one. Preferably limewood (the stones make bigger bubbles and don't work as well).
Regular maintenance on that skimmer is changing the airstone every couple of months anyway, so just start new.
No need to spend big $ on the Coralife branded one. Just go for same basic size.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 03:17 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

yep.. as long as the airpump is still blowing out air then you just need to replace the airstone..

Unread 10/20/2017, 05:52 PM   #10
bclaus
Registered Member

Ok, so I guess the next question would be... does it need to be wooden? Or am I able to get away with a cheaper more accessible airstone?

Unread 10/20/2017, 06:25 PM   #11
PsychoticBeauty
Registered Member.

A wooden air stone is probably your best bet. Give it a month, maybe a month and a half and then replace it with another. Don't throw away that old stone though. I've put them in a vice in the garage and sanded down the sides. When that new air stone runs out put the old one back on for a few weeks or so and then pitch it. Start over again... (kind of hedging your bet) GL.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-.../dp/B0028BPRMA

Last edited by PsychoticBeauty; 10/20/2017 at 06:33 PM.
PsychoticBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 05:45 PM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaus View Post
Ok, so I guess the next question would be... does it need to be wooden? Or am I able to get away with a cheaper more accessible airstone?
A wooden replacement is only a few bucks..
The wooden ones produce the very fine bubbles required for a skimmer.. A "cheap" airstone just for bubbling air into a freshwater tank will drastically reduce the performance of the skimmer..

Unread 10/21/2017, 05:59 PM   #13
bclaus
Registered Member

Thanks to both of you. I will definitely get a new wooden airstone next time I head into town!

Unread 11/22/2017, 09:15 AM   #14
bclaus
Registered Member

well, I finally was able to make it to the fish store and got myself a new wooden stone.. but there are still no bubbles. There is air flowing through the tube and I don't see any reason there would be a blockage. Is there any reason why my skimmer wouldn't be bubbling?

Unread 11/22/2017, 09:23 AM   #15
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaus View Post
well, I finally was able to make it to the fish store and got myself a new wooden stone.. but there are still no bubbles. There is air flowing through the tube and I don't see any reason there would be a blockage. Is there any reason why my skimmer wouldn't be bubbling?
Then the air pump may have failed (failed in such that its not able to produce any useful pressure to push the air through the airstone..)

Did you get the pump wet? Did you check for blockage at the intake filter of the pump?
Have you tried to open it up and remove the "filter" (may be just a small piece of cotton).. and try again?

You should be able to restrict the end of the tube and feel air pushing past..
Do you have a valve on the airline thats closed off too much?

Unread 11/22/2017, 09:33 AM   #16
bclaus
Registered Member

I haven't gotten the pump wet and I don't know where the intake filter is... but when I take the air hose off from the air stone, it produces enough air to make bubbles if just the hose is in water.
I have the valve open all the way.
What would I open to get to the filter? I have a coralife protein skimmer like this one https://www.petmountain.com/product/...n-skimmer.html
Would this have a filter?

Tags
aquaeuro usa, nano 28, skimmer 28 gallon