Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/30/2017, 08:06 AM   #26
alton
Registered Member

I have used bio bale first and then moved to bio balls starting in 1991. I have never had a tank crash, and my best test tank for this test was a 200 gallon oceanic that ran from 1999 to 2009. Before I swapped everything to a 300DD the Nitrates were at 2ppm and this tank was well stocked with fish and coral. I never touched or washed the bio balls. I like the trickle filtration system for the added oxygen I feel it gives my aquariums stability, as compared to other types of sumps like on my wife's tank with filter socks. I change out the blue filter pad regularly, which to me is easier than washing filter socks. I guess it is part of getting old and not wanting to change, but if the sytem works don't break it. And yes I still use my Urchin Skimmer Pro that is 14 years young on my 180. If you do several searches here on RC on individuals who complained about high nitrates and every word of advise that came in told them to change out there nitrate factories of bio balls to something else, but in most cases it did not fix the issue, because maintenance is key. Find a system that works for you, and don't change it every time something new comes out

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 12:25 PM   #27
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
...Before I swapped everything to a 300DD the Nitrates were at 2ppm and this tank... And yes I still use my Urchin Skimmer Pro that is 14 years young on my 180.
May I ask if you are saying you maintained 2 ppm of nitrate using only bioballs in a trickle filter and the Urchin Skimmer?

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 02:52 PM   #28
alton
Registered Member

60 gallon water changes a month, it was the second easiest tank I ever owned to take care of. The first was a 158 loaded with Xenia, that one I only ran the skimmer one week out of a month.

Unread 10/30/2017, 03:18 PM   #29
alton
Registered Member

If you look at most tanks today that are low nutrient, low phosphate, low nitrate, they are running bio pellets, and or dose carbon. Some do not use water changes but have large calcium reactors and giant skimmers. There all kind of ways to keep everything running smoothly. In looking back it took a year to two years for Nitrates to drop. My first year on my 300 I couldn't get Nitrates below 20, then after that they just dropped.
The first picture is around 2007 of the 200 with GSP some Xenia, and a bunch of Frogspawn, the second is the 158 I had in my office. I wish I would of taken pictures of the trickle filter of the 200 before I sold it. It was loaded with all kinds of life that did not require light.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg impx2 (2).jpg (78.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 158 5-28-2008 (2).jpg (64.1 KB, 43 views)
Unread 10/30/2017, 03:53 PM   #30
ctripi
Registered Member

Alton. That’s great to here! Routine and routine maintenance are definitely key.
I mean certain reef keeping concepts are definitely out for good (plenum, UG filters, ozone, uv) but some, maybe bioballs, seem to linger. Back in the day it was also a factor of what we were keeping too.

ctripi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 04:00 PM   #31
ctripi
Registered Member

Carbon dosing in form of bio pellets or liquid dosing is just another way of artificially reducing nutrients from an excessive bioload. Excessive bioload may not be the safest long term approach.

ctripi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 04:07 PM   #32
karimwassef
Registered Member

Who says ozone and uv are out? I'm an advocate of both under the right conditions.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 04:10 PM   #33
karimwassef
Registered Member

Excessive bioload is subjective. I have the fastest growth when I feed the most. Reducing organics is terrible for me. I love free floating organics. I just need to control excess inorganics. A scrubber does all that. I actually don't need a bacterial medium. Whatever naturally grows on my rocks and sand and algae is enough for me and I can feed heavily without issue.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 10/30/2017, 11:31 PM   #34
jubei2006
Registered Member

Problem with bioballs, they are ugly compared to live rock. Why not try to have a small biotope in the sump doing the same thing as bioballs? Best use for those bioballs.....packing peanuts!

jubei2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 06:02 AM   #35
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei2006 View Post
Problem with bioballs, they are ugly compared to live rock. Why not try to have a small biotope in the sump doing the same thing as bioballs? Best use for those bioballs.....packing peanuts!
Who sees it, its under your tank behind a cabinet door(180) Unless you build your cabinet like my old 300DD where I had the trickle filter in back and the fuge / frag compartment in front? FYI I pulled the pellet reactor after my Frogspawn started looking bad, in a month they started thriving again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1461 (2).jpg (41.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 300%20full%20tank%20shot4-8-10[2] (2).jpg (63.4 KB, 39 views)
Unread 10/31/2017, 06:19 AM   #36
alton
Registered Member

Here is a picture of my 180 yesterday and you can see I love all corals. The SPS in this tank hold their own in this tank as in my 300 before. Sorry you have to look at a dirty tank, the wife added a pool in the back yard this summer and now it takes up precious aquarium cleaning time, even in the fall. My advice to anyone is find something that works for you and don't change it. It doesn't mean you can't tweak it, just don't jump every time something new and wonderful comes out. I saw where BRS pulled there roller mat, which was the greatest new thing a few months ago. Of course one reason why I like watching the BRS videos because they try / test everything. Wonder where I got the idea of two purple tangs in the same tank from?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 180 - 10-30-17.jpg (69.0 KB, 54 views)
Unread 10/31/2017, 07:28 AM   #37
karimwassef
Registered Member

That is a lot of GSP. Definitely a nitrate lover

Unread 10/31/2017, 09:20 AM   #38
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
That is a lot of GSP. Definitely a nitrate lover
I have an LFS that loves me

Unread 10/31/2017, 10:45 AM   #39
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is a picture of my 180 yesterday and you can see I love all corals. The SPS in this tank hold their own in this tank as in my 300 before...
Nice tank. For discussion purposes: Do you think the rock/sand and GSP (and other nitrate sequestering life) in the DT are more or less responsible for maintaining low nitrates than the ~30% monthly water changes and bioballs in your trickle filter? What would you guess would happen if you took the bioballs out of the trickle filter now that the tank is mature?

Unread 10/31/2017, 11:44 AM   #40
alton
Registered Member

Go back and read post #26, I do not use bio balls to remove nitrates. Stability and Oxygen, I tried a tank with out bio balls and have had issues.

Unread 10/31/2017, 12:31 PM   #41
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Go back and read post #26, I do not use bio balls to remove nitrates. Stability and Oxygen, I tried a tank with out bio balls and have had issues.
OK... reread #26. Help me understand what it says where nitrates are concerned. What mechanism maintained the nitrates @ 2 ppm?

Unread 10/31/2017, 01:54 PM   #42
alton
Registered Member

Water changes, longevity, stability. The animals growing in my trickle filter. The softies, the Lps. To me it takes years for a tank to mature. I feel like the longer a tank runs the easier it is to take care of. On my 158 if I ran the skimmer too much the Xenia would not pulse. Every tank is different.

Unread 10/31/2017, 02:15 PM   #43
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Water changes, longevity, stability. The animals growing in my trickle filter. The softies, the Lps. To me it takes years for a tank to mature. I feel like the longer a tank runs the easier it is to take care of. On my 158 if I ran the skimmer too much the Xenia would not pulse. Every tank is different.
Cool. No argument there. I'd be willing to bet the skimmer isn't even doing you much good. Can you estimate the change that would occur if you now slowly removed the bioballs?

Unread 11/01/2017, 08:31 AM   #44
djbon
Registered Member

This tank is running on a fully bacteria driven system. No refugium, no skimmer, no water changes. It's running on bio media in a reactor and carbon fed. Cheap and easy to run.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20171020_18_16_48_Pro.jpg (59.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg WPDrawing2017-49-01_10_49_19.jpg (80.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg WPDrawing2017-48-01_10_48_42.jpg (77.2 KB, 45 views)

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon/Arduino Controller

Last edited by djbon; 11/01/2017 at 08:51 AM.
djbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 10:11 AM   #45
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

With large, frequent water changes, you can run any bio media you like. Any nitrate build up should be taken care of in the WC. Most of us are too lazy to do frequent, large water changes, so we seek easier ways to combat nutrient build up. If that's your method, go with it. It's a very good method!

Me, I like plants. They NEED the nutrients our tanks make. I struggle to have ENOUGH nutrients. I have to add them…

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2017, 07:15 AM   #46
elegance coral
They call me EC

Why do you think you need more real estate for biological filtration?
You said you would have some LR in the display. It takes very little LR to accommodate even a large load.
Highly aerobic real estate, like you're talking about, typically just leads to higher NO3 levels.
I don't see the benefit........
Peace
EC

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote