Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2017, 09:33 PM   #1
subbedout
Registered Member

Which LED to buy?

I have a 66 gallon mixed reef tank measuring 32"x24"x20"With SPS, LPS, and a BTA. I'm looking to replace my Chinese black box LED with something "better." Here's what I'm considering:

*Reef Breeders Photon v2 24"
*SB Reefs Ultra 22"
*AI Hydra 26 (x2) (waaaaay over my budget)

Any input, insight, advice? I'm leaning toward the Photon v2, but go back and forth.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

subbedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 10:39 PM   #2
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Get the Photon V2 if it's in your price range. I really like my Hydra 26's but the photons are nice for the price.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 05:03 AM   #3
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

When you say you want something "better", just what is that? Is better a fixture with more control? A fixture with better light? A fixture that is better looking? A fixture that is...???

It really helps if you know what you are looking for. If you are looking for a fixture that will grow your coral better, you are probably better off to look elsewhere. Most any black box led will grow coral as well as a $750 EcoTech fixture.

I had EverGrow fixtures that were the same as Reef Breeders original Photon (V1). After 6 years I switched tanks and the old fixtures didn't fit the new tank. So I got 2 of the RB Photon V2. I like the slimline look a lot. The sunrise/sunset is about the same (you may not have even that) and I really wanted the 6 channel color control. But none of those improvements do anything to help the coral. Of course it was already growing as well as I could hope for with the old fixtures. But the new ones look way better and I like the color control and sunrise/sunset control combination. It's fun for me, the corals couldn't care less!

Last edited by Ron Reefman; 11/21/2017 at 05:12 AM.
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 08:19 AM   #4
subbedout
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
Get the Photon V2 if it's in your price range. I really like my Hydra 26's but the photons are nice for the price.
Thanks for the input!

Unread 11/21/2017, 08:22 AM   #5
subbedout
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
When you say you want something "better", just what is that? Is better a fixture with more control? A fixture with better light? A fixture that is better looking? A fixture that is...???

It really helps if you know what you are looking for. If you are looking for a fixture that will grow your coral better, you are probably better off to look elsewhere. Most any black box led will grow coral as well as a $750 EcoTech fixture.

I had EverGrow fixtures that were the same as Reef Breeders original Photon (V1). After 6 years I switched tanks and the old fixtures didn't fit the new tank. So I got 2 of the RB Photon V2. I like the slimline look a lot. The sunrise/sunset is about the same (you may not have even that) and I really wanted the 6 channel color control. But none of those improvements do anything to help the coral. Of course it was already growing as well as I could hope for with the old fixtures. But the new ones look way better and I like the color control and sunrise/sunset control combination. It's fun for me, the corals couldn't care less!

I have a 16" Viparspectra black box on my tank now. I'm thinking that it's not big enough to properly cover the sides of my tank. A 24" light would be better coverage, right? I don't need all the bells and whistles of a Hydra... once I set the lights, I don't see myself fiddling with settings again. I also debate getting a second 16" Viparspectra unit and mounting then perpendicular to the front of the tank. My corals seem to be growing under my current lights, just wasn't sure if there was a better light to facilitate more growth or to better cover my tank.

Unread 11/21/2017, 09:29 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbedout View Post
I have a 16" Viparspectra black box on my tank now. I'm thinking that it's not big enough to properly cover the sides of my tank.
FWIW.. I currently run a 24" t5 fixture on a 48" wide tank...
The lower light at the sides is not an issue as I don't have corals there..

If you don't have corals on the extreme sides of the tank then who cares..
Not to mention that the light spreads out from the fixture in all directions including out the sides in relation to the cone shape created by the lens angle..

You can certainly spend your money if you want though.. Just not sure "better" is going to be the outcome..

Unread 11/22/2017, 05:22 AM   #7
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Any of the 3 fixtures you mentioned in your first post will give a bit better end to end light. And doing a 2nd Viparspectra and mounting them perpendicular will do even more light. If you don't want the bells and whistles, and feel the need for more light (not better light) then the 2nd Viparspectra seems like the way to go. If you have corals end to end and/or are doing more sps, then it may be worth the cost. Otherwise, like mcgyvr said, there are other places to spend your money.