Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of St. Louis (SEASL)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/26/2004, 09:46 PM   #51
Cappy
Registered Member

Well I......That Is.......I believe.......I am for.......the first time........in my life.......am speechless!!!! I am jealous of the people that went to see it, as much as I am of Kevins Z3. It's truely amazing.
And the questions that just seem to automatically pop up into your head--how did he do this, how does this run into that!!!!
It goes on forever!!

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal. DAS reef tank w/ 50 gal. sump. 880 watts of VHO's 2 660 Ice Caps
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2004, 07:07 PM   #52
jestersv
Registered Member

bump^^

Current Tank Info: 120 reef starter /75 my wife wants to make into a seahorse tank a custom 40 gal fuge (DYI) and finish it off with a 100 gal sump plumbed all together in the basement
jestersv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2004, 12:57 PM   #53
jarhed
Premium Member

Holy mother of..........

YOU ARE A GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jarhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2004, 11:02 AM   #54
melev
Moved On

Wow, talk about a hidden secret! I really enjoyed getting this visual tour of the tank, and wish I was closer to see it in person.

Curious: Is there ever a time when the water is not filled with microbubbles, or is that just the way he likes it? Those were some amazing photographs of the tangs, which normally would be obscured by the microbubbles.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2004, 11:28 AM   #55
scbauer
The Buff Reefer

I'm guessing the microbubbles come from the lift tubes that he uses... I don't exactly know how they work, but it's cool to see the water flow out of them.

http://www.reefwerkes.com/zilla3/KC_lift_tubes.wmv

-Scott

P.S. - can anyone explain how the lift tubes work, exactly, and what the benefits are?

"Wondering If Anybody Gives A ...."
...for when your thread has 50 posts, and 48 of them are yours

Current Tank Info: No tank. Got out of the hobby in 2011 but I’ll be back one day!
scbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2004, 11:33 AM   #56
melev
Moved On

Scott, I like the look of them, just because they remind me of the exhaust system on an old-school muscle car.

Unread 06/07/2004, 11:38 AM   #57
scbauer
The Buff Reefer

Yea, baby... 69 Nova (or Chevelle)!!!!

Again, anyone know how the lift tubes actually work, and what the purpose is? Is it used for current? Do they replace pumps/power heads? What do they do and why???

-Scott

"Wondering If Anybody Gives A ...."
...for when your thread has 50 posts, and 48 of them are yours

Current Tank Info: No tank. Got out of the hobby in 2011 but I’ll be back one day!

Last edited by scbauer; 06/07/2004 at 11:50 AM.
scbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2004, 12:14 PM   #58
ReefWerkes
Premium Member

Scott,

You are absolutely correct in that they produce current. Basically, Kevin installed some larger diameter pipes, around 4", with some 3/4" pipe going down the center of them. The 4" pipes are sitting in water and when the air flows down the 3/4" pipe the air draws water up the pipe. Since you have such an abundant amount of air, it is difficult to tame the micro-bubbles...

The image below should help...

darrin

We have one of the best reef club websites on the internet and we're adding new programs and initiatives all the time. Be sure to check us out!

Current Tank Info: SEASL will remain the strong, organized and respectable group of individuals that you would expect in the Reefkeeping community.
ReefWerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2004, 02:11 PM   #59
proud2bcanadian
Registered Member

That is the most incredible thing I have ever seen in my life!!

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube build in progress
proud2bcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2004, 02:19 PM   #60
melev
Moved On

proud2bcanadian,

To Reef Central

Unread 06/19/2004, 04:59 PM   #61
gumbybc
Registered Member

Has kevin done anymore work on the tank? is he going to be building a 'hood' around the top of the tank?

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
gumbybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2004, 09:49 PM   #62
ReefWerkes
Premium Member

Trust me - the most exciting thing is that you are able to look down over top of the pool, I mean tank... I doubt there will ever be a hood.

Last I knew he is working on adding more lighting.

We have one of the best reef club websites on the internet and we're adding new programs and initiatives all the time. Be sure to check us out!

Current Tank Info: SEASL will remain the strong, organized and respectable group of individuals that you would expect in the Reefkeeping community.
Unread 06/21/2004, 12:43 AM   #63
gumbybc
Registered Member

that makes sense. I can't wait to see more pictures.

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
gumbybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2004, 04:01 PM   #64
Cichlidius
Registered Member

Guy's, I am sorry to drag up this thread, but just how many gallons total is this system?

Thanks
Steve

Unread 08/08/2004, 04:34 PM   #65
ReefWerkes
Premium Member

5000 - Give or take a hundred (depends on the evaporation that day)

Unread 08/08/2004, 04:55 PM   #66
Cichlidius
Registered Member

Thanks, It is an incredible setup. I see a tank of the month in there!!!!!

Unread 08/09/2004, 08:30 AM   #67
Smalltankguy
Moved On

Great tank and great setup. But that is not the most impressive aspect of it all. By far it is the healthy beautiful fish. That is the way I measure a good tank, by the way the fish look. And your fish could not be happier or healthier!

Jack

Smalltankguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2004, 08:51 AM   #68
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I judge a tank by the health of the corals.

dave

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2004, 11:07 AM   #69
Markk96
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanook
I judge a tank by the health of the corals.

dave
I agree with you Dave.

Markk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2004, 11:50 AM   #70
TooFar2Sea
Registered Member

Not sure about the whole system volume. Depends on if you count "capacity" vs. "water". Capacity wise, its at 5000+480+240+200 (Main tank, refugia, isolation, coral grow out)...per Kevin

You may view recent pics at Kevin's website here.

TooFar2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2004, 06:17 PM   #71
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

That is one awesome setup, Kevin....you should be proud!!

Dave

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2004, 07:37 PM   #72
vapovick
Registered Member

nice setup... any idea what the electric is running you with all those MH's and pumps , a month ?

./$$$

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef (in the works)75lbs of Fiji LR 24lbs Tonga Branch and 60lbs LS..
vapovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2004, 01:50 PM   #73
KevinC
Registered Member

A few answers...

Hi all.

Thought I'd post a few replies to some of the questions raised here:

Rick - "Once in a lifetime" - Actually, I believe a Zilla 3 visit will become an annual tradition around April for SEASL members.

Nookie - Yeah, the RCSDs are installed, but not active yet. I need to get the PLC (Programable Logic Controller) I bought up and running, and a bunch more electrical work done before they will be working. Also need to solve a splash problem. Such Fun! BTW- The twice-a-day current switch is also tied to the PLC operating.

Scott - Lift tubes: The most efficient way to move water with the possible exception of a propeller pump - but lift tubes don't crew up sea life. Think about the classic bubble tubes in your first 10 gallon goldfish tank. Same thing, mine are just made of 3" PVC pipe a bit over 3 feet long. I also push about 40 cubic feet of air a minute through them compliments of a 1/2 HP regenerative blower. I used 1/2" pvc conduits down the center of the 3" PVC pipe that is capped at the end. The ends of the pipe are cut at a 30 degree angle to allow water to enter. (2) 3/16th inch holes are drilled near the bottom of the 1/2" air pipe to allow the air out... Seems to work just fine. Back pressure is a nice stable 1.5 PSI, just about what I would expect for the depth, so it appears I got the hole diameter right on the first guess (ok, so it was an educated guess, but I didn't REALLY know...).

Microbubbles: all the time unless I turn the lift tubes off for photos. I've managed to reduce them somewhat by raising the water level in the tank, but that is going to be a challenge to keep when the two RCSD's start firing (I have to make sure they don't displace so much water that the tank overflows). Reducing the microbubbles is on the list of things to do. I have some ideas, but...

Electric Bill: highest to date was $362, but that includes cooling the house, and running over a dozen computers. Oh, thats based on $0.047 cents/KWH - gotta love being in an Electric Co-op.

All - think the refugia has finally stopped leaking. I tore it completely down and spent well over a month with it bare bottomed trying to find leaks. Finally gave up when it was down to a gallon a week from one location. Looks like that spot has finally self sealed. Its been refilled for several weeks and is starting to regrow the caulperia.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: A little itty bitty 5000 gallon tank
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2004, 02:19 PM   #74
hwynboy
Registered Member

I love this tank and I can just imagine well sort of..all the hard work you put into designing this and putting it all together. I dont know if this is a stupid question but could you explain the lift tubes and how they work how they are fed etc? and the purpose for them? Thanks.

"He who has large reef tank has small wallet"

Current Tank Info: 300gal starphire tank, Deltec Kalkreactor, MRC2 skimmer, MRC dual Calcium reactor, 2 Tunze Stream 6100's w/multi-cntrlr, 5 MH 400x20000K , 2-110w VHOs..30 gal clown tank, 120 FOWLR, 35 gal sump, Euroreef CS8-3 skimmer, 4-96watt actinics
hwynboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2004, 03:10 PM   #75
KevinC
Registered Member

Lift Tubes

The lift tubes are just bigger versions of the bubble tubes you see in small aquariums. They are very efficient at moving water, horrible at lifting it. Fortunately, I want to move it...

Each tube consist of a 39" (from memory) piece of 3" PVC with a 90 degree angle elbow fitting. The fitting is drilled in the center and a 1/2" PVC pipe runs down to the bottom. The end of the 1/2" pipe is capped and sets in a recess drilled into the wall base to hold it centered. The bottom of the 3" PVC pipe has a wedge cut out to allow water in. About 3 inches above the 1/2" pipe cap are (2) 3/16th inch holes drilled through. The air escapes from those holes, forms big bubbles, and lifts the water above the bubble up and out through the top. Again, this is just like the little bubble tubes used in small tanks.

I have (8) of these lift tubes form a bank, one bank on either side of the sump area of the tank. They blow their water out over the top of the RCSDs (first attempt at getting rid of some of the bubbles). Each of the 1/2" air tubes are connected to a common run of 1.5" PVC that the blower pressurizes (basically forming a manifold).

Each bank moves about 700 gallons of water a minute. Yes, minute... that 42,000 gallons of water an hour using a 1/2HP regenerative blower air pump.

Suggest browsing the Aquatic Eco-Systems (aquaticeco.com) catalog for more information - they have pretty pictures and talk about the theory of operations in greater detail.

Current Tank Info: A little itty bitty 5000 gallon tank
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote