Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/30/2010, 05:04 PM   #1
noobtothereef
Registered Member

Gem tang (gemmatum tang)

Im trying to find info on gem tangs and also anybody that has one. Ive searched to find one too buy with no luck. Any information on these guys would be great, if you have one post up some pics!

noobtothereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2010, 05:16 PM   #2
noobtothereef
Registered Member

and also whatsup with the different fin types, some gems have a sailfin body and some dont

purple tang body non sailfin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA6xm_3TIC0

sailfin look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ1zd...eature=related

Unread 11/30/2010, 05:22 PM   #3
lvpd186
Reefing in NE

Very expensive fish!

From:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/gem-tang/

Quote:
Gem Tang
Scientific Name: Zebrasoma gemmatum
Family: Acanthuridae
About the Gem Tang

Species Type: Saltwater Fish
Category: Tangs & Rabbitfish
Care Level: Moderate. Healthy specimens are frequently available for purchase, but stress in shipping does sometimes occur. Will accept dried foods after settling in, but frozen foods or algae grazing sheets may be required initially. After proper quarantine and acclimation to the display, this fish is generally resistant to disease. An overall good choice for the new saltwater hobbyist.

Origin: Endemic to the Indian Ocean.

Compatibility/Temperament: The Gem Tang is rarely available in the hobby and commands a price tag of several thousand dollars. Those who have kept this fish describe it as a harmless community fish which needs lots of space to thrive.

Description

The Zebrasoma genus of Tangs will not bother coral or invertebrates, however it may eat desirable marine algae. They are generally hardy after acclimated.

Individual species of Zebrasoma can display a wide range of behavioral differences in the aquarium, with some being downright nasty, and other mixing in well. The key to this is likely related to tank size and having a sufficient rock structure to break up territory.
Gem Tang Diet

Feed a diet rich in vegetable matter including frozen herbivore foods, dried seaweed, or live macro algae. Freeze dried algae sheets should be offered daily.
Size

Reaches up to 8'' in length. They are a fast growing fish and should be kept in aquariums capable of sustaining their adult size.
Minimum Tank Suggestion

125 gallons
Ideal water parameters for Gem Tang

Marine fish are highly sensitive animals with very specific care requirements. Most all saltwater species will require similar water conditions, designed to replicate that of natural seawater. Ammonia and nitrite levels should absolute zero, temperature at 76F to 80F, and salinity at 1.024 to 1.026. Although some fish are tolerant of lower levels of Nitrate, the goal in every aquariums should be to keep Nitrate as close to zero as possible, and certainly under 20ppm. Finally, maintaining a stable pH of 8.0 to 8.4 is desired. Achieving this is made easier by monitoring alkalinity, which should be kept at 8-12 DKH, and calcium, which is targeted at 400 to 460ppm.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...#ixzz16oKriHNn

Unread 11/30/2010, 06:10 PM   #4
noobtothereef
Registered Member

anybody here own one?

Unread 11/30/2010, 06:29 PM   #5
lvpd186
Reefing in NE

There are several people who have them on RC. If you watch Divers Den you see them once and a while for sale..

Unread 11/30/2010, 08:28 PM   #6
snorvich
Team RC member

Yes. But they need a fairly substantial tank. In my opinion, at least a 240 gallon. No other Zebrasoma. Mine was from DD.

Unread 11/30/2010, 08:32 PM   #7
noobtothereef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Yes. But they need a fairly substantial tank. In my opinion, at least a 240 gallon. No other Zebrasoma. Mine was from DD.
I know they require a large tank, it will be for a 900g 10'x4'x3' so plenty of room and will also have other zebrasoma's. Do you have a pic of the gem? Ive read that the gem is a pretty peacefull fish and most of the time its the tang that gets bullied, is this true? Whats your gem's tankmates?

Unread 11/30/2010, 09:38 PM   #8
huskerreef
Registered Member

I have 2 zebrasoma's (not Gems) in a 620 and they are constantly at each other. It would be foolish to risk a $3500 fish by housing 2 even in a 900 in my opinion.

Current Tank Info: 620 Mixed Reef, 240 Acan Lord, 90 Zoanthid...I think that plenty for now
huskerreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 06:31 AM   #9
snorvich
Team RC member

No aggressive tankmates; why take that risk?

Unread 12/01/2010, 08:10 AM   #10
sTefaniA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerreef View Post
I have 2 zebrasoma's (not Gems) in a 620 and they are constantly at each other. It would be foolish to risk a $3500 fish by housing 2 even in a 900 in my opinion.
I know a guy who kept a gemmatum, two xanthurums, a desjardinii and a rostratum together. They arent that expensive here though, around 1000$ a piece.

sTefaniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 08:32 AM   #11
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtothereef View Post
and also whatsup with the different fin types, some gems have a sailfin body and some dont

purple tang body non sailfin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA6xm_3TIC0

sailfin look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ1zd...eature=related
They are the same fish with the same fins. The first video you posted has a fish that is relaxed. The second video has a few gem tangs that are pretty annoyed and therefore 'flexing' their fin. This makes them appear larger than they are to enemies.

TampaReefer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 08:48 AM   #12
Yurivd
Registered Member

when gem tangs are young there fins are more extreme (fin like ) and the spots are les at the tip of the fins
when thy are older thy have a more rounded shape and spots are the same every where

gems are aggressive tangs
to me thy are just as aggressive as purple tangs
the 12cm gem i had even tried a 25cm angel

thy do not school in the wild and can be seen swimming most of the time at +-25m when adults so thy like cooler waters
when small thy can even be found in rock pulls

thy can be seen swimming in a pair so if you can get a big and a small gem thy can get along if put in the tank at the same time (i have tested it)

the biggest gem tang i have seen was 25cm and was collected at 25m
the collector told me there was a 30cm one with the 25cm gem that he let go (it was to big)

thy are extremely hardy

Yurivd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 08:57 AM   #13
jaa1456
Registered Member

I own a Gem tang and they are not cheap, Not 3,000 but not 1,000 either. Size also depends on the prize. The smaller ones go for more money, Normally a larger fish would go for more but in the Gem tang it is reversed. I have my Gem tang in a shallow 220 with a Bariene tang as of right now. They are the only 2 fish in there and have yet to bother each other. The Gem is almost 6"s and the Bariene is just over 3"s I would say. Try calling Underwater World in Rselle Park, NJ I believe they changed the # to the store. I don't have the new one on me. I posted pics of mine on the site somewhere. but here are a few.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 012.jpg (59.1 KB, 150 views)
jaa1456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 08:58 AM   #14
jaa1456
Registered Member

It would on let me load one pic for some reason

Unread 12/01/2010, 09:10 AM   #15
Yurivd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1456 View Post
I own a Gem tang and they are not cheap, Not 3,000 but not 1,000 either. Size also depends on the prize. The smaller ones go for more money, Normally a larger fish would go for more but in the Gem tang it is reversed. I have my Gem tang in a shallow 220 with a Bariene tang as of right now. They are the only 2 fish in there and have yet to bother each other. The Gem is almost 6"s and the Bariene is just over 3"s I would say. Try calling Underwater World in Rselle Park, NJ I believe they changed the # to the store. I don't have the new one on me. I posted pics of mine on the site somewhere. but here are a few.
the bigger thy are the deeper thy have to dive to get one

Unread 12/01/2010, 11:22 AM   #16
noobtothereef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurivd View Post
Is there a reasoning for the larger gems living at greater depths?

Unread 12/01/2010, 11:32 AM   #17
Yurivd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtothereef View Post
Is there a reasoning for the larger gems living at greater depths?
i think thy like cooler water more

Unread 12/01/2010, 12:01 PM   #18
jaa1456
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurivd View Post
That would mean the larger ones would cost more, I believe it is the other way around like most Zebrosma tangs, The Juvis normally live in the deeper waters.

Unread 12/01/2010, 12:59 PM   #19
AfricaOffroad
Moved On

The gem tangs are found in our local waters.
Quite a few local guys catch the juveniles in the rockpool on our coast.
I haven't been as lucky yet, but the juveniles are soon to be here, so you never know !!!
Its a bit like treasure hunting.

In fact a young guy I was talking to the other day, mentioned the set of pools where they are frequently caught. Will definitely be spending some time there this summer, on the spring low tides.

Watch this space !

AfricaOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 01:30 PM   #20
Yurivd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricaOffroad View Post
The gem tangs are found in our local waters.
Quite a few local guys catch the juveniles in the rockpool on our coast.
I haven't been as lucky yet, but the juveniles are soon to be here, so you never know !!!
Its a bit like treasure hunting.

In fact a young guy I was talking to the other day, mentioned the set of pools where they are frequently caught. Will definitely be spending some time there this summer, on the spring low tides.

Watch this space !
i wish i lived close to the sea (i am 700km from the sea)

Unread 12/02/2010, 04:45 AM   #21
kinlayan
Registered Member

i have small juvie gem tang he lives in my coral section with convict and yellow tang he is the smallest amongst them and is very cheeky and confident with a huge appetite . They are prized by some aquarists but are not everyone's taste.

gem tang

kinlayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2010, 12:31 PM   #22
noobtothereef
Registered Member

thanks for the pic kinlayan