Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/13/2011, 08:49 PM   #3751
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKnot View Post
Haha, meatiness, never heard a coral described that way. I plan to have a BTA at some point, so I will likely steer clear of the angels.

Would a tanaka's pygmy wrasse be ok with the flasher? not sure how wrasses do together.
or possibly a scissortail dartfish?
Either would work, but dartfish (including firefish) are prolific jumpers. Your tank would need to be covered.

Unread 04/13/2011, 08:54 PM   #3752
snorvich
Team RC member

Oh, and covered is not egg crate which will not keep fish in.

Unread 04/14/2011, 07:31 AM   #3753
kg221
Registered Member

Here is a link to my forum of me redoing my 90 gallon. I need help with my fish list as I was told I have too big of fish in my tank. I am not a wrasse fan due to their jumping out of the tank so I need some suggestions on small/medium sized reef fish that are very colorful and have great characters.

Link to forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2006411

Unread 04/14/2011, 08:17 AM   #3754
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg221 View Post
Here is a link to my forum of me redoing my 90 gallon. I need help with my fish list as I was told I have too big of fish in my tank. I am not a wrasse fan due to their jumping out of the tank so I need some suggestions on small/medium sized reef fish that are very colorful and have great characters.

Link to forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2006411
Your fish list;

Quote:
Fish List:
Sebae Clownfish
vlamingi tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Sailfin Tang
Sebae Clownfish
Blue Throat Trigger Male
Pink Tail Trigger
Lyretail Anthias Male and Female
Squareback Anthias Male and Female
Snowflake Eel
No to the following;
Vlamingi tang -- WAY TOO big
Blue Hippo -- way too big
Saifin tang -- way too big
Both triggers -- way too big.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Unread 04/14/2011, 08:17 AM   #3755
meeandcharlie
Registered Member

Hi! Contemplating a fish order soon and would love some advice so I don't go wrong!!
Have 55 gal FOWLER w/ about 1-1 1/2" sandbed, 50 lb rock, sm. fuge, skimmer, 2-K2's (may add 2 more small ones), 150 w MH
Been running 2 months, but I transfered everything from a 30 gal that had been running about 7 months and added more rock. Params are always great.

Currently I have 2 O. Clowns, snails and peppermint shrimp in it that I have had for 1 yr.
Looking to add personality and color. And I am looking at.....
1-Yellow Watchman goby/Pistol shrimp pair (I will cover the top)
3-Lyretail Anthias...1 male and 2 females... do they require a larger than 2 group of females, and is my tank large enough for 3. I read they need 125 gal, but assume that is for a large group. If not I can just go with the male. Also I think I read they prefer low lighting, would they be okay with MH?
2-3 sexy shrimp...I read that the pistol shrimp might attack smaller shrimp, do these fall into this catagory?
That's it for now. I add VERY slowly!
Also after reading here about how territorial my clowns will become, I am pretty sure I am going to remove them from the 55 and put them in their own 30 gal tank.
Eventually I will be adding corals, not sure what kind yet though.
Thanks in advance so very much! I have read almost all of this thread for learning purpoeses and you guys are great! I am so grateful for help and advice so that any fish I put in my tank will be happy and healthy!

Unread 04/14/2011, 11:41 AM   #3756
kikimers13
Registered Member

So previously I had asked about angels and 2 ocellaris clowns to go into my 29 gallon. I think what I want to do instead (with some input) is 2 ocellaris with an anemone, and a goby/pistol shrimp combo. I haven't done an anemone, and I know this isn't the anemone kind of thread but I'm not sure what the ocellaris clowns will host that will fit in my 29. I wanted to do a carpet anemone but I think it may be too big, will they pair to a bubble tip if it is too big? Sorry I know a bit off topic for the thread. Obviously I'll be adding hermits and snails but other than that nothing but corals, is that a good load considering the 2 ocellaris will be too aggressive for much else?

Current Tank Info: Brand new 20L nano reef in progress
Unread 04/14/2011, 12:00 PM   #3757
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikimers13 View Post
So previously I had asked about angels and 2 ocellaris clowns to go into my 29 gallon. I think what I want to do instead (with some input) is 2 ocellaris with an anemone, and a goby/pistol shrimp combo. I haven't done an anemone, and I know this isn't the anemone kind of thread but I'm not sure what the ocellaris clowns will host that will fit in my 29. I wanted to do a carpet anemone but I think it may be too big, will they pair to a bubble tip if it is too big? Sorry I know a bit off topic for the thread. Obviously I'll be adding hermits and snails but other than that nothing but corals, is that a good load considering the 2 ocellaris will be too aggressive for much else?
With a goby/shrimp pair, I would stay away from any sandbed dwelling hosting anemone -- might be an expensive snack.

The only hosting anemone that has a chance of working in that sized tank would be an BTA (( E. Quadricolor )) -- is this a 29 biocube? What lights does it have?

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Unread 04/14/2011, 03:38 PM   #3758
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeandcharlie View Post
Hi! Contemplating a fish order soon and would love some advice so I don't go wrong!!
Have 55 gal FOWLER w/ about 1-1 1/2" sandbed, 50 lb rock, sm. fuge, skimmer, 2-K2's (may add 2 more small ones), 150 w MH
Been running 2 months, but I transfered everything from a 30 gal that had been running about 7 months and added more rock. Params are always great.

Currently I have 2 O. Clowns, snails and peppermint shrimp in it that I have had for 1 yr.
Looking to add personality and color. And I am looking at.....
1-Yellow Watchman goby/Pistol shrimp pair (I will cover the top)

Yes, they are prone to jumping and can go through egg crate
3-Lyretail Anthias...1 male and 2 females... do they require a larger than 2 group of females, and is my tank large enough for 3. I read they need 125 gal, but assume that is for a large group. If not I can just go with the male. Also I think I read they prefer low lighting, would they be okay with MH?

A single male will be fine, but your tank would be marginal for a group; remember anthias a very active fish
2-3 sexy shrimp...I read that the pistol shrimp might attack smaller shrimp, do these fall into this catagory?

I love sexy shrimp as well but they may be a problem with your pistol shrimp

That's it for now. I add VERY slowly!
Also after reading here about how territorial my clowns will become, I am pretty sure I am going to remove them from the 55 and put them in their own 30 gal tank.

That is an excellent idea. But a clown tank is a very interesting one and watching them mate is fascinating. Perhaps you will try and raise the babies?

Eventually I will be adding corals, not sure what kind yet though.
Thanks in advance so very much! I have read almost all of this thread for learning purpoeses and you guys are great!

Thanks ever so much, our satisfaction comes from folks that are happy and successful

I am so grateful for help and advice so that any fish I put in my tank will be happy and healthy!

Unread 04/14/2011, 05:42 PM   #3759
kikimers13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddrtrex View Post
With a goby/shrimp pair, I would stay away from any sandbed dwelling hosting anemone -- might be an expensive snack.

The only hosting anemone that has a chance of working in that sized tank would be an BTA (( E. Quadricolor )) -- is this a 29 biocube? What lights does it have?

It's a 29 long, nova extreme pro with 3 10,000k daylight and 3 actinic.

Current Tank Info: Brand new 20L nano reef in progress
Unread 04/14/2011, 06:14 PM   #3760
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikimers13 View Post
It's a 29 long, nova extreme pro with 3 10,000k daylight and 3 actinic.
As Todd said.

Unread 04/14/2011, 09:47 PM   #3761
Mothercolony
Moved On

I would like to add a orange shoulder, my old hippo, my PT, 5 bartlettes, grey head wrasse, 2 clowns and a yellow tang, and a cbb in the future to my 270g all fish except Powder brown and the cbb would be newer additions.

Am I ambitious on the CBB. I would trade any of these to be able to keep one. I realize they need to be trained first to eat prepared foods or they will starve after they picked my LR clean.

Unread 04/14/2011, 11:54 PM   #3762
rysher
Registered Member

will a diamond goby be fine with a medium grain aragonite sand or they need fine sand?

Unread 04/15/2011, 04:52 AM   #3763
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothercolony View Post
I would like to add a orange shoulder, my old hippo, my PT, 5 bartlettes, grey head wrasse, 2 clowns and a yellow tang, and a cbb in the future to my 270g all fish except Powder brown and the cbb would be newer additions.

Well, your hepatus tang may not allow additions unless they are part of the move. Which means you will have to have new fish quarantined and ready when the move occurs.

Am I ambitious on the CBB. I would trade any of these to be able to keep one. I realize they need to be trained first to eat prepared foods or they will starve after they picked my LR clean.
CBB are sensitive to aggressive tankmates. Also, you would need to be able to feed clams on the half shell and ideally blackworms (live). But assuming that they will eat prepared foods other than frozen is a big assumption; Nutramar ova has a good chance of working along with mysis

Unread 04/15/2011, 04:54 AM   #3764
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysher View Post
will a diamond goby be fine with a medium grain aragonite sand or they need fine sand?
I do not know the answer. While I have this fish, all of my tanks are fine grain sugar sand.

Unread 04/15/2011, 08:04 AM   #3765
sampster5000
Registered Member

Hi guys. I have a 46 gallon bowfront. I have 30lbs live rock and 40lbs live sand. I have an eheim 2213 running on the tank. I am going to install a 13 inch long custom hang on back refugium. I want to do leaf fish and anglers but am not sure if my inverts will survive. I want to try a star fish (anything but brittle) and have hermit crabs, turbo snails, nasarrius snails, an emerald crab and a purple lobster. The only other fish I was considering was a cleaner wrasse or two but did not know if they would quickly get eaten. Thanks!

Unread 04/15/2011, 08:27 AM   #3766
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampster5000 View Post
Hi guys. I have a 46 gallon bowfront. I have 30lbs live rock and 40lbs live sand. I have an eheim 2213 running on the tank. I am going to install a 13 inch long custom hang on back refugium. I want to do leaf fish and anglers but am not sure if my inverts will survive. I want to try a star fish (anything but brittle) and have hermit crabs, turbo snails, nasarrius snails, an emerald crab and a purple lobster. The only other fish I was considering was a cleaner wrasse or two but did not know if they would quickly get eaten. Thanks!
I absolutely love leaf fish and anglers, especially anglers that hunt rather than just sit in ambush. I have spent many hours under water observing their fascinating behavior. By the way anglers are classified by the shape of their lure; Google will give you much information on that. I am not sure if you can have multiple anglers as they will try and eat their friends. I know you can have a pair of leaf fish. Similar fish are Ablabys taenionotus (Cockatoo waspfish) which also eat fish, crabs, polychaetes worms, shrimp, jellyfish and medusae. They also feed on each other in a cannibalistic way. These ambush predators can be trained to accept dried carnivore food sticks and pellets. Feed 2-4 times a week or small amounts every day. I do not think any fish will be safe with these predators.

Last edited by snorvich; 04/15/2011 at 08:35 AM.
Unread 04/15/2011, 10:10 AM   #3767
sampster5000
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll make sure not to get more than one angler. I love leaf fish as well.

Unread 04/15/2011, 09:19 PM   #3768
Josh_Canada
Registered Member

so i changed up the list a bit to:

INVERTS

a few glass cleaning snails (suggestion welcome).
3. staghorn hermits, (will keep extra shells to add incase ones shell isnt looking too good. may feed phyroplankton if my tank cant sustain the hydrocoral.
1. porcelain anemone crab.
1. cleaner shrimp
1. serpent star (not green)

FISH

1. flasher wrasse
2. ocellaris or black clarkii clowns
1. chromis
1. royal gramma
mated pair of firefish

all of this in a 50 gallon with 60 lbs. LR, 50 lbs. LS, a esshops psk-100 skimmer, a DSB, LR and macroalgea refugium. ( the sump is 30 gallons). One of my main questions is am i overstocking, i just want the firefish pair so they can be active, but would part with one of those over one of the clowns.

Thanks to any replies in advance

Unread 04/15/2011, 09:44 PM   #3769
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Canada View Post
so i changed up the list a bit to:

INVERTS

a few glass cleaning snails (suggestion welcome).
3. staghorn hermits, (will keep extra shells to add incase ones shell isnt looking too good. may feed phyroplankton if my tank cant sustain the hydrocoral.
1. porcelain anemone crab.
1. cleaner shrimp
1. serpent star (not green)

FISH

1. flasher wrasse
2. ocellaris or black clarkii clowns
1. chromis
1. royal gramma
mated pair of firefish

all of this in a 50 gallon with 60 lbs. LR, 50 lbs. LS, a esshops psk-100 skimmer, a DSB, LR and macroalgea refugium. ( the sump is 30 gallons). One of my main questions is am i overstocking, i just want the firefish pair so they can be active, but would part with one of those over one of the clowns.

Thanks to any replies in advance
All looks good to me except the flasher wrasse may intimidate the firefish.

Unread 04/16/2011, 09:30 AM   #3770
mltran
Registered Member

56g Column with 32 lbs. live rock, Eshopps psk-75h skimmer, Aquaclear 70 HOB filter *Forgot to state that this is a FOWLR tank*

I just bought 2 ocellaris clowns and am trying to figure out what to put in next.

Some fish I like:

Coral Beauty Angel or Flame Angel
Auriga Butterfly
2+ Blue-Green Chromis (How many can I have?)
Longnose Hawkfish
Six Line Wrasse or one of the Fairy Wrasses
Mimic Saddle Puffer
Clown Goby and/or Neon Goby and/or Sharknose Goby
Chalk Basslet and/or Black Cap Basslet and/or Gold Assessor Basslet
2 Banggai Cardinal

How many of these fish and which ones could I put in my size tank??

Last edited by mltran; 04/16/2011 at 09:41 AM.
Unread 04/16/2011, 09:37 AM   #3771
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltran View Post
56g Column with 32 lbs. live rock, Eshopps psk-75h skimmer, Aquaclear 70 HOB filter

I just bought 2 ocellaris clowns and am trying to figure out what to put in next.

Some fish I like:

Coral Beauty Angel or Flame Angel Either would work, I like a Marshall Islands Flame Angel
Auriga Butterfly Would work buyt not reef safe
2+ Blue-Green Chromis (How many can I have?) I am not a fan of chromis except in very large tanks with a large group
Longnose Hawkfish Works but will eat shrimp
Six Line Wrasse or one of the Fairy Wrasses Six lines can get mean and fairy wrasses would be marginal
Mimic Saddle Puffer Not recommended
Clown Goby and/or Neon Goby and/or I love neon gobies, clwn gobies not as much cause they can damage coralsSharknose Goby
Chalk Basslet and/or Black Cap Basslet and/or Gold Assessor Basslet Assessors are nice fish
2 Banggai Cardinal two, only if you get a male plus female pair

How many of these fish and which ones could I put in my size tank??
I hate to advise on numbers. But if you go slowly and keep to this sized fish, probably around 7/8

Unread 04/16/2011, 01:22 PM   #3772
mltran
Registered Member

So the Longnose Hawkfish will eat Fire Shrimp?

Why do you not recommend the Mimic Saddle Puffer? On liveaquaria they say they are ok in 30 gallon and are peaceful.

Do you have to buy the Banggai Cardinal mated or will they pair up if you buy 2 at the same time?

What do you mean the fairy wrasses would be marginal?

Unread 04/16/2011, 03:54 PM   #3773
snorvich
Team RC member

Invalid post.

Unread 04/16/2011, 03:58 PM   #3774
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltran View Post
So the Longnose Hawkfish will eat Fire Shrimp?

Yes

Why do you not recommend the Mimic Saddle Puffer? On liveaquaria they say they are ok in 30 gallon and are peaceful.

A 30 gallon or larger, fish-only aquarium is suitable. It will fight with conspecifics such as the filefish, large finned fish, and other tobies. It may be aggressive at times, nipping the fins of tank mates, leaving a circular hole as its mark. It will also eat invertebrates found in a reef tank. Its teeth are actually a fused beak-like structure.

Parts of its flesh are poisonous. It has the ability, when threatened or alarmed, to inflate its body to almost twice its normal size. It becomes alarmed when netted, therefore, use a container to transfer it.

The Saddle Valentini Puffer needs a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth.

Do you have to buy the Banggai Cardinal mated or will they pair up if you buy 2 at the same time?

Yes, you must get a male and female, but they do not have to be bonded or mated

What do you mean the fairy wrasses would be marginal?

Fairy wrasses would normally require a larger tank and depending on which fairy wrasse can be quite aggressive

Unread 04/17/2011, 01:15 PM   #3775
NEK-ap24
Registered Member

Snorvich I believe that you misread mltran's post. I think that he was asking about the filefish called a "Mimic" Saddle Puffer i.e. Paraluterus prionurus not Canthigaster valentini. (a risk when not using scientific names)

I am still revising my stock list, and will repost my thoughts for your advice.

Thanks for your review on this thread!

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish, reef fish