Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/18/2011, 07:06 PM   #3801
SoFloReefer
Registered Member

I have a Mystery Wrasse and a False Perc in a 20 long with 25-30 pounds of live rock and sand bottom. The mature female Perc wants to kill the Mystery Wrasse that I added two days ago. I'm taking the Clown out tomorrow and I want to replace it with 1 or 2 docile but interesting fish. I'm thinking about getting a Yellow Watchman Goby since there are two large areas under the rock where it would live. Any other suggestions?

Unread 04/18/2011, 07:17 PM   #3802
kjreiner72
Registered Member

Instead of a orchid dottyback how about a helchifire firefish? There are very pretty.

Unread 04/18/2011, 07:52 PM   #3803
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishtofish View Post
I was thinking just the anthias (three?) and one other smallish fish...
What sized tank?

Unread 04/18/2011, 07:53 PM   #3804
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjreiner72 View Post
Instead of a orchid dottyback how about a helchifire firefish? There are very pretty.
I greatly enjoy them. Add first.

Unread 04/18/2011, 07:57 PM   #3805
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloReefer View Post
I have a Mystery Wrasse and a False Perc in a 20 long with 25-30 pounds of live rock and sand bottom. The mature female Perc wants to kill the Mystery Wrasse that I added two days ago. I'm taking the Clown out tomorrow and I want to replace it with 1 or 2 docile but interesting fish. I'm thinking about getting a Yellow Watchman Goby since there are two large areas under the rock where it would live. Any other suggestions?
In a 20 gallon tank it is not obvious that a mystery wrasse will do well since the recommended minimum is 50 gallons. I would not recommend adding any additional fish, in fact I would recommend changing the mystery wrasse for something more suitable.

Unread 04/18/2011, 07:59 PM   #3806
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
There has been a couple people that I know that bought a sixline wrasse because the price was right and the LFS said it would work. A month or so later they were wanting to get rid or the wrasse as it was bothering everything else.

Yes, usually we are asked how to get one out.

I have looked at fish on live aquaria and there prices are way affordable and even with shipping would have been cheaper than I paid for a few fish.

Where did you find your Candy Basslet? I was quoted around $800.00 for this fish.

Mine is from Divers Den but there may be others around as well. But LA's 14 day guarantee is pretty important for this fish

Now I will have to research a little more to see what I can come up with. I am one of those people that has to plan out what fish go in the tank and they can't be what everybody else in town has. If I didn't have a plan I would end up with a mess as I would have fish that I looked at and just bought and they wouldn't get along.
I like your viewpoint!!

Unread 04/18/2011, 08:49 PM   #3807
snorvich
Team RC member

Please remember to provide tank size, type of water treatment (filter/live rock, sump, etc) and tell us what you propose to buy along with current tank inhabitants. Remember it is always best to have a plan rather than just buy fish and hope they go well together in your environment.

Unread 04/18/2011, 09:12 PM   #3808
jarrcr
Registered Member

Ok, so I've been researching and reading a lot on here and figured I'd throw my plans out there and see what everyone thinks. First I've got a 90 gallon with a 20 gallon sump with refugium. Currently have 100 lbs of live rock and the "90 gallon clean-up crew package" from reefcleaners.org. Also have a ball of cheato and 5 red mangroves in the sump. Tank is about 1.5 months old, clean up crew was added shortly after the cycle was finished. Tank was cycled with uncured live rock. Thinking about adding fish soon since I've got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates are barely registering on the test kit so maybe like 1ppm? The plan is to add about 1 fish per month (except where they should be added as a pair). Below is the list I would like. Please let me know if you think its crazy, too much, not compatable, etc and in which order ya think I should add them.

The List:
(2)Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish - Tank-Bred (add together)
(1)Flame Angelfish
(1)Flame Hawkfish
(1)unsure-some kind of sand sifting Goby
(1)Tang, unsure which one, liveaquaria has a Kole Yellow Eye Tang that they say minimum tank size is 70, was thinking about that. (please don't blast me too hard on the Tang)
............and eventually.....down the road......once the tank is mature......maybe like a year a Mandarin

Thats what I have planned for now, please recommend anything else you might think appropriate. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Chris

Unread 04/18/2011, 11:52 PM   #3809
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Please remember to provide tank size, type of water treatment (filter/live rock, sump, etc) and tell us what you propose to buy along with current tank inhabitants. Remember it is always best to have a plan rather than just buy fish and hope they go well together in your environment.
Quote:
What sized tank?
Yes, of course - sorry!

75g tank w/40b sump;
high-flow;
40 lbs dry rock DT, 10 lbs sump;
Reef Octopus XS-200;
Low to Medium nutrient (biopellets/carbon)

Speculating on three anthias (LA advises minimum tank 70g for some), and one other small fish (sixline or other cool wrasse?)

Unread 04/19/2011, 04:34 AM   #3810
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrcr View Post
Ok, so I've been researching and reading a lot on here and figured I'd throw my plans out there and see what everyone thinks. First I've got a 90 gallon with a 20 gallon sump with refugium. Currently have 100 lbs of live rock and the "90 gallon clean-up crew package" from reefcleaners.org. Also have a ball of cheato and 5 red mangroves in the sump. Tank is about 1.5 months old, clean up crew was added shortly after the cycle was finished. Tank was cycled with uncured live rock. Thinking about adding fish soon since I've got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates are barely registering on the test kit so maybe like 1ppm? The plan is to add about 1 fish per month (except where they should be added as a pair). Below is the list I would like. Please let me know if you think its crazy, too much, not compatable, etc and in which order ya think I should add them.

The List:
(2)Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish - Tank-Bred (add together)
(1)Flame Angelfish
(1)Flame Hawkfish Means you cannot have shrimp as they eat them
(1)unsure-some kind of sand sifting Goby You will not want one after you have them since they make a mess; gobies are fine, even goby and pistol shrimp (although they will make piles of sand as well)
(1)Tang, unsure which one, liveaquaria has a Kole Yellow Eye Tang that they say minimum tank size is 70, was thinking about that. (please don't blast me too hard on the Tang) You will never get blasted on this thread even if we advise against what you are wanting; that said, any one of the Ctenochaetus tangs would work.
............and eventually.....down the road......once the tank is mature......maybe like a year a Mandarin

Give it a total of nine months and you should be fine.

Thats what I have planned for now, please recommend anything else you might think appropriate. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Chris

Unread 04/19/2011, 04:35 AM   #3811
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishtofish View Post
Yes, of course - sorry!

75g tank w/40b sump;
high-flow;
40 lbs dry rock DT, 10 lbs sump;
Reef Octopus XS-200;
Low to Medium nutrient (biopellets/carbon)

Speculating on three anthias (LA advises minimum tank 70g for some), and one other small fish (sixline or other cool wrasse?)
I think you will be fine with three anthias. But I would advise a flasher wrasse rather than a sixline

Unread 04/19/2011, 07:13 AM   #3812
kjreiner72
Registered Member

I have a 90 gallon corner tank w/
40 gal sump w/ fug w/ miracle mud
50 lbs. live rock * going to add more to create an arch in the tank
3" sand bed
vortech pump

I have picked the fish I did as I wanted all to be peaceful but not get to big so that I could have more fish in the tank. I have arranged the rock so that the assessors have over hangs to be under, and numberous caves and hidy holes for all fish. I have left the front of the tank for swimming room. The arch that I'm going to I want to eventually have it covered with mushrooms zoa things like that. I emailed the LFS guy last night to let him now I need my male flasher wrasse now and then I will take the female and the male and then I can add the other females when they become available.

**My daughter was watching the cartoons Snorks this morning and it made me think of your screen name. HAA!HAA!

Unread 04/19/2011, 08:34 AM   #3813
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
I think you will be fine with three anthias. But I would advise a flasher wrasse rather than a sixline
Ok, I am excited about the challenges these fish will present! Thank you for your advice! I've taken more than my share of your time, but do you believe it is ok to add the wrasse first? I don't want to create a larger "mini-cycle" than necessary....

Unread 04/19/2011, 10:27 AM   #3814
robd855
Registered Member

what kind of fish to purchase

Hi SK8R,
i'm in my second year of reefing and loving it, still learning plenty. You saved me one time by pulling me out of the lounge, thank you.

65 gallon tank, deltec mce600 skimmer, enheim canister filter, nova extreme t5 lighting, 2 powerheads, 2 inch sb, 65lbs of LR, heaters, fans....

all water parameters are spot on.

tank has cyled and running for two months

-8 astrio snails
-5 red hermits
-2 nassarus tonga snails
-cleaner shrimp (2)

zoas, green polyp stars, frogspawn, red and green mushroom, star polyps, hairy mushroom.

for fish...

-2 clowns
-kole yellow eye tang
-pajama cardinal
- bangai cardinal

i would like to purchase a couple of fish that would really use the tunnels and caves that i've created with my rock work. i spent allot of time picking rock and building my aquascape.

any ideas?

Unread 04/19/2011, 02:36 PM   #3815
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
I have a 90 gallon corner tank w/
40 gal sump w/ fug w/ miracle mud
50 lbs. live rock * going to add more to create an arch in the tank
3" sand bed
vortech pump

I have picked the fish I did as I wanted all to be peaceful but not get to big so that I could have more fish in the tank. I have arranged the rock so that the assessors have over hangs to be under, and numberous caves and hidy holes for all fish. I have left the front of the tank for swimming room. The arch that I'm going to I want to eventually have it covered with mushrooms zoa things like that. I emailed the LFS guy last night to let him now I need my male flasher wrasse now and then I will take the female and the male and then I can add the other females when they become available.

**My daughter was watching the cartoons Snorks this morning and it made me think of your screen name. HAA!HAA!
If you are planning on corals other than mushroom corals, I would strongly advise against any mushrooms. Impossible to get rid of and not good with corals that are more important.

My screen name is simply my first initial and last name; my creative juices were not flowing when I selected it.

Unread 04/19/2011, 02:40 PM   #3816
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd855 View Post
Hi SK8R,
i'm in my second year of reefing and loving it, still learning plenty. You saved me one time by pulling me out of the lounge, thank you.

65 gallon tank, deltec mce600 skimmer, enheim canister filter, nova extreme t5 lighting, 2 powerheads, 2 inch sb, 65lbs of LR, heaters, fans....

all water parameters are spot on.

tank has cyled and running for two months

-8 astrio snails
-5 red hermits
-2 nassarus tonga snails
-cleaner shrimp (2)

zoas, green polyp stars, frogspawn, red and green mushroom, star polyps, hairy mushroom.

Be aware that hairy mushrooms can eat fish

for fish...

-2 clowns may associate with your euphyllia corals and possible damage them
-kole yellow eye tang Marginal for this tank size
-pajama cardinal
- bangai cardinal

i would like to purchase a couple of fish that would really use the tunnels and caves that i've created with my rock work. i spent allot of time picking rock and building my aquascape.

Royal gramma or Assessors (blue or gold) would satisfy that requirement

any ideas?

Unread 04/19/2011, 02:51 PM   #3817
kjreiner72
Registered Member

Ok. I have been looking at jawfish online and the tank temp ranges from 72-78. I keep my tank at 79 it will fluxuate to 80.1 but not any higher. Do you think that the temp is to high to cause the jawfish disstress?

I ordered a pair of purple flashing tilefish. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I get them they will flash. I also ordered my male McCorker's Flasher Wrasse. I can't wait. I love getting new fish it is so exicting.

One the flasher wrasse it doesn't work in reverse if you bought all males they would turn into females.

Unread 04/19/2011, 02:55 PM   #3818
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Ok. I have been looking at jawfish online and the tank temp ranges from 72-78. I keep my tank at 79 it will fluxuate to 80.1 but not any higher. Do you think that the temp is to high to cause the jawfish disstress?

If you are trying for a blue spotted jawfish, I recommend cooler temperatures around 72-74 F for others no issue

I ordered a pair of purple flashing tilefish. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I get them they will flash. I also ordered my male McCorker's Flasher Wrasse. I can't wait. I love getting new fish it is so exicting.

One the flasher wrasse it doesn't work in reverse if you bought all males they would turn into females.

No reversion with flasher wrasses

Unread 04/19/2011, 03:16 PM   #3819
kjreiner72
Registered Member

Maybe a better jawfish would be the yellowed blue jawfish. It is peaceful and doesn't get very big. I'll have to read more on them.

Unread 04/19/2011, 03:19 PM   #3820
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Maybe a better jawfish would be the yellowed blue jawfish. It is peaceful and doesn't get very big. I'll have to read more on them.
I have had one of those too! (you must think I am reef crazy) They are excellent fish and very personable with none of the downsides of the BSJ.

Unread 04/19/2011, 04:03 PM   #3821
kjreiner72
Registered Member

Thanks. You are a reef nut and you have alot of good life trial and error to help the newbies from making mistakes you already made. I think that is why I like this hobby so much. Everybody is super friendly and ready to give advise. I show horses as well and it doesn't work that way at all with them. People are rude and snotty as they don't want to be beat at a show by something they told you.

Thanks for all info. I greatly appreciate it!!

Unread 04/19/2011, 09:12 PM   #3822
Josh_Canada
Registered Member

I was hoping to add an orchid dottyback, as they are a richer purple in my view than a royal gramma; not to mention less shy from what i've seen of both. I have heard they are the 'peaceful' dottyback, even being compared to a chromis vs damselfish.
This would be with:

2 ocellaris clownfish
1 flasher wrasse
1 chromis

all in a 50 gallon DT (possibly reef). My main concern is if my cleaner shrimp will get eaten. I have heard mixed reviews on both with shrimps. If this would work out, what order should i add them in? i have the 2 clowns, brittle star, 2 halloween hermits, 1 staghorn hermit, 5 nerites and the probability of a good number of nassarius, (I figured the star would pull more of it's own weight). I am adding the flasher wrasse + snails tomorrow possibly. Should i add the chromis before the sixline and dottyback? I have a 30 gallon sump running so bioload is a little better managed then the average tank, with: protein skimmer, refugium, 60 lbs LR, 50 lbs LS.

THANK YOU!

Unread 04/20/2011, 04:53 AM   #3823
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Canada View Post
I was hoping to add an orchid dottyback, as they are a richer purple in my view than a royal gramma; not to mention less shy from what i've seen of both. I have heard they are the 'peaceful' dottyback, even being compared to a chromis vs damselfish.
This would be with:

2 ocellaris clownfish
1 flasher wrasse
1 chromis

all in a 50 gallon DT (possibly reef). My main concern is if my cleaner shrimp will get eaten. I have heard mixed reviews on both with shrimps. If this would work out, what order should i add them in? i have the 2 clowns, brittle star, 2 halloween hermits, 1 staghorn hermit, 5 nerites and the probability of a good number of nassarius, (I figured the star would pull more of it's own weight). I am adding the flasher wrasse + snails tomorrow possibly. Should i add the chromis before the sixline and dottyback?

A sixline wrasse will not get along with flasher or fairy wrasses. While an orchid dottyback (P. fridmani) is the least aggressive dottyback, it is not really a peaceful fish. It may negatively interact with your flasher wrasse.

I have a 30 gallon sump running so bioload is a little better managed then the average tank, with: protein skimmer, refugium, 60 lbs LR, 50 lbs LS.

THANK YOU!

Unread 04/20/2011, 10:57 AM   #3824
Josh_Canada
Registered Member

Any ideas as to what You would reccomend I swap out for a sixline or flasher wrasse? Just trying to find hardy fish with color and personality.

Unread 04/20/2011, 01:19 PM   #3825
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Canada View Post
Any ideas as to what You would reccomend I swap out for a sixline or flasher wrasse? Just trying to find hardy fish with color and personality.
I can give you behaviors but I cannot optimize colors for you. If it were me, I would have the flasher wrasse and royal gramma.

Last edited by snorvich; 04/20/2011 at 01:34 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish, reef fish