Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2007, 07:34 PM   #1
chaznsc
Registered Member

My endeavor with a damsel......advice needed

Hello,
I set up my 12g aquapod about a month ago. Bought LR, the water, Live sand, everything so it would cycle well.

Anyhow, I added 2 fish at the recommendation of my LFS. One was a blue damsel, and the other a fish with a purple head and yellow tail.

About a week ago the yellow/purple fish died. My nitrite levels were at 0.25 and i did a 10% water change, my amonia levels were normal. The damsel is fine. When speaking this weekend to the guy at the LFS he indicates the damsel is aggresive, and likely kept the other fish from eating, which I witnessed. He isnt mean perse, but he is a pig when it comes to eating.

Should I exchange him for something calmer? Im interested in a community sort of setting.

Thanks in advance,

chaz

chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Jerry W
Registered Member

The fish that died sounds like a royal gramma. Damsels, by nature are pretty territorial. Small tanks can exacerbate this behavior. If you want a community tank, the damsel may not be the best choice. Given the tank size, you're pretty much limited to a couple small fish anyway. A yellow watchman goby would be nice, as would the royal gramma if you care to get another.

Current Tank Info: 37 gal; pair of mocha clowns, ywg and tiger pistol shrimp
Jerry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2007, 11:45 PM   #3
MIKE NY
Two Decade club

sounds like a blue devil.....change it..a damsel will dominate a tank that small and make it very hard to add any other fish.......

Current Tank Info: 170 gal Reef, 20 gal frag/reef,90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump, 2-250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actincs, Vertex in280 skimmer, MRC-2 Cal Reactor, Reeflo return pump
MIKE NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2007, 06:28 AM   #4
catdoc
Premium Member

I had a blue devil damsel in a 29 gallon tank with a peacock mantis. The fish even bullied the mantis! Little bugger now lives in my sump where he can stake his claim on 100 gal without hurting anyone.

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon w/spawning onyx percs, bangaii pair & pink spotted goby w/ gbta, softies
catdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2007, 06:31 AM   #5
Navyblue
Low maintenance first

A damsel is fine as long as he is the smallest fish in the tank, and by a good margin.

Navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote