Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2018, 02:22 AM   #1
Sgt Jonny Cat
Registered Member

Float switch to turn off return pump?

Good morning everyone, I'm planning my 150 and wanted some redundancy and wanted to know if anyone has used some sort of float switch to turn off the return pump to avoid an accidental overflow? Also, how do I avoid the ATO pumping water at the same time in the event of a clog?

Thanks guys

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon
Sgt Jonny Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 03:58 AM   #2
Tastee
Registered Member

Hi,

Very hard to say without quite a lot more detail of your planned setup. In general your return pump should be operating 24x7 and your redundancy is your emergency overflow. If you are really paranoid there is no reason you could not have two EOs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 04:24 AM   #3
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Jonny Cat View Post
Good morning everyone, I'm planning my 150 and wanted some redundancy and wanted to know if anyone has used some sort of float switch to turn off the return pump to avoid an accidental overflow? Also, how do I avoid the ATO pumping water at the same time in the event of a clog?

Thanks guys
The ATO has a sensor placed in the sump. With an internal overflow (reef ready) in the tank, the water level in the tank will never go above the top of that overflow. Water level changes take place in the sump. Thus the sensor in the sump is set to the max water height. Generally a test is recommended to set the water lever. Simply set to a desired level then turn off the return pump to see how much water back flows into the sump.

When setting up the overflow there are systems (herbie) which have an emergency drain which will serve as just that. If you aren't set up this way, you can do so simply by going over the back of the tank with the return line(s) and use the two drilled sections in the overflow as drains.

Not sure how a float switch could be used to turn off the return pump unless it is set up in a reverse manner to monitor the sump level for abnormal loss of volume. If the sump level drops significantly either the water is not draining properly or evaporation is not being sufficiently replaced.

Unread 04/20/2018, 04:43 AM   #4
Sgt Jonny Cat
Registered Member

Got it! I am actually doing a Herbie, and never though of it that way. Makes sense now. Thank you!

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon
Sgt Jonny Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 08:36 PM   #5
Feed Me Tacos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post

Not sure how a float switch could be used to turn off the return pump
I just ordered a tank and I'm lazy. I'm automating my system as much as possible. I'm still designing and building it, along with waiting for ordered parts to come off the internet.

My water top up system will be automated. The level float for the ATO RODI system makes too much noise, so thats in the basement into a container. I'm using an electric 120V pump to pump it upstairs through the floor. The top up tank will have a low level switch to start the pump. It will have a self latching relay so the pump stays on until it hits a high level float switch. The switches will be wired to a relay. The relay will complete the circuit for the power cord on the pump. The pump should only need to kick on every 2 days or so, rather than the ATO float kicking on every 30 minutes or so (I'm estimating that time, but it will kick on any time the level drops just a little).

Since I can have a failure of a switch and theoretically pump water into my living room for ever, I'm also building multiple safeties into the system with many redundancy high-high level switches that will kill power to every part of my water top up system, including activating a solenoid valve that will kill the water supply to my RODI filter. It will kill my top up system dead in the water, and one safety can fail and it'll still work as designed. I DO NOT want to come home to a flooded living room.

All this will be done with two 12V relays (switching 120V circuits), a solenoid valve for the water supply to RODI filter, a hand full of float switches, and an electric diaphragm pump (I had better luck finding a smaller diaphragm pump for vertical lift than a centrifugal pump). For safety, I'm using 12V on all the switches anywhere near water. The 120V stuff will be far from the salt water. Everything will be mega grounded and hooked up to GFCIs.

I will have a high level shutdown on my water make up holding tank, and also my sump in case the level float for my sump fails open. The switches will also activate an audible alarm in both the basement and living room.

Relays can be gotten from any electrical supply house. Float switches can be acquired online.

https://www.amazon.ca/Mounted-Horizo...float+switches

Feed Me Tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 08:42 AM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

This is simple programming in an apex, with a BOB, and a float switch.

Lets assume your float is on switch 1, and your return pump is on an eb8. In your return outlet programming you would simply place this line.

If SW1 open then off

Open or closed depending on how your switch is wired and if its a normally open or normally closed switch.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 09:24 AM   #7
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Jonny Cat View Post
Got it! I am actually doing a Herbie, and never though of it that way. Makes sense now. Thank you!
just as stated, if you're concerned with water overflowing from your display then there are issues. the herbie system will put your mind at ease, and if you haven't committed to that style, I would encourage you to take a look at the BeanAnimal silent and fail safe over flow system, it will allow you to rest easy at night.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 03:47 PM   #8
Indymann99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
This is simple programming in an apex, with a BOB, and a float switch.

Lets assume your float is on switch 1, and your return pump is on an eb8. In your return outlet programming you would simply place this line.

If SW1 open then off

Open or closed depending on how your switch is wired and if its a normally open or normally closed switch.
+1 on Apex with floats.
Below uses 3 floats in the Return section of the sump

So this is the code on Return pump Outlet (shuts off Return Pump if the Return Section water level gets low)
Fallback ON
(Outlet ReturnLow_A3 is virtual outlet connected to float valve)
If Outlet ReturnLow_A3 = OFF Then ON
If Outlet ReturnLow_A3 = ON Then OFF

And here is the code on the Skimmer Outlet (shuts off skimmer when the Return Section water level is high - prevents skimmer overflow if the Return pump stops)
Fallback ON
(Outlet ReturnHi_A2 is virtual outlet connected to float valve)
If Outlet ReturnHi_A2 = ON Then OFF
If Outlet ReturnHi_A2 = OFF Then ON

And here is the ATO Outlet

Fallback OFF
(Outlet ATO_5 is a virtual outlet connected to float valve)
If Outlet ATO_A5 = ON Then ON
If Outlet ATO_A5 = OFF Then OFF
If Outlet ReturnHi_A2 = ON Then OFF
If Outlet ATOResLo_A4 = ON Then OFF
Defer 002:00 Then OFF
If FeedD 120 Then OFF (I use the Feed button "D" to disable ATO after filling and mixing in Kalk - lets the calk settle)

Unread 04/22/2018, 03:50 PM   #9
Bent
I got nothin'

You don’t need an apex

Just get a float switch with relay from autotopoff.com with a mounting bracket.

Set the level you want, plug in the return pump, plug the relay into the wall. Done.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 12:43 AM   #10
eredder
Registered Member

I used an AquaHub PumpStopper kit before I got an Apex.

eredder is offline   Reply With Quote