Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2015, 06:11 AM   #1
penske3939
Registered Member

Lightbulb New Dwaft Angel

I have a 72 gallon reef tank with lots of different coral, fish, and invertebrates. I recently lost my flameback angel due to the apex controller dying overnight. I want to replace the dwarf angel, but I am not sure with which one. In visits to fish stores they indicated I could put two small dwarf angels in if I did it at the same time, but I think that is pushing it. I would like to put an one spot foxface and cardinalfish in at the same time. I would like to get some thoughts on what I should do considering my below current fish.

Thanks

Current fish - All adult size
Royal Gramma Basslet=1
Black Axil Chromis=3
Bluespotted Watchman Goby=1
Ocellaris Clownfish=2

Last edited by penske3939; 01/01/2015 at 06:43 AM.
penske3939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 06:59 AM   #2
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

How do you lose a fish to the Apex dying? How long did you have the angel before it died?

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon reef tank with 30 gal refugium
Newsmyrna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 08:41 AM   #3
penske3939
Registered Member

I have everything going through the Apex, so when it died everything just shut off. Everything was off overnight and luckly the only thing I lost was the angel.

I had the angel multiple years, it was adult size.

Unread 01/01/2015, 07:49 PM   #4
Daniel62
Registered Member

Some angels, are coral nippers, so what type of corals do you have. My favorite are the potters. But they can be a little tricky at first. and they seem to do better in cooler tanks.

Next are flames, but these guys are hit and miss with corals. But a very colorful fish.

Current Tank Info: 225 reef, 125 clown & haddoni tank, Haddoni's Big Bad & Beautiful, I Love Them!
Daniel62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 08:12 PM   #5
AirForceAquariu
Registered Member

You need to set the "fallback" option for the essential things in the tank to 'ON' so that if it fails they will turn on.

70 gal w/ 15 gal sump. 1 flame wrasse, 2 a. occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinal, 1 midas blenny, assorted CUC, 1 brittle star.

Current Tank Info: 70g 20g sump. 1 Flame Wrasse, 2 A. Occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinals, 1 Midas Blenny
AirForceAquariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 08:33 PM   #6
penske3939
Registered Member

Below is most of the coral I have currently
Caulastrea Candy Cane
Seriatopora "Bird's Nest"
Branched Montipora
Cup Pagoda
Bright Green Tip Branching Frogspawn
Green, Red, and Purple Plate
Purple Tube
Starburst Polyp
Various Mushrooms

Unread 01/01/2015, 10:07 PM   #7
Daniel62
Registered Member

Your lps might be a problem, but every fish is different. I say give any of the dwarf you like a try. My dwarfs have never bothered my sps or zoas. I1 didlike my frogspawn for a while but then let is alone.

Current Tank Info: 225 reef, 125 clown & haddoni tank, Haddoni's Big Bad & Beautiful, I Love Them!
Daniel62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2015, 08:31 AM   #8
Marshall O
Registered Member

My Flame Angel nips at all my SPS, but leaves all of my LPS and Zoas alone. I don't see any damage from the nipping besides loss of PE. The only coral it killed was my Sun Coral. Every time I tried to feed it, it would nip at its tentacles causing them to retract. Eventually, it stopped even trying and slowly died.

Marshall O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2015, 08:30 PM   #9
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

My cherub angel never bothered corals in the 7+ years I had it. I think they are cute little angels and I don't think you have any blue in your tamk.

Its funny how many people rely on an Apex to prevent disasters in their tanks. Having dealt with week-long power outages summer and winter, I know that no single piece of equipment failing in my tank could crash it in one day.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2015, 08:53 PM   #10
joekidwell
Registered Member

Just gave away my Flame Angel due to nipping, PE tripled in three days. He only picked at my SPS left the LPS alone..

joekidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2015, 09:56 PM   #11
penske3939
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments. It sounds like the flame angel might be an issue. Cherub or a coral beauty might be the way to go.

As for the tank and the apex, I am planning on making changes when I get back from vacation. I had alot of failsafes, backup batteries, etc, but the only thing I didn't have a backup for was the apex going crazy. I knew it could happen and of course it happen on vacation, go figure.

Unread 01/03/2015, 01:30 AM   #12
dailydriven911
Registered Member

I love cherub angels. It's also my favorite of the Pygmy Angels and they usually are model citizens although all come with risk of nipping.

Unread 01/03/2015, 01:52 AM   #13
suta4242
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall O View Post
The only coral it killed was my Sun Coral. Every time I tried to feed it, it would nip at its tentacles causing them to retract. Eventually, it stopped even trying and slowly died.
For the benefit of anyone reading who is new to keeping angels with corals...

Speaking from (unfortunate) experience, this is the worst thing you can do in front of an angel, since you're teaching it to associate the coral with food. So, when he's hungry he just returns to badger the coral, hoping it will have some food and the cycle continues.

suta4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2015, 07:59 AM   #14
Marshall O
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suta4242 View Post

Speaking from (unfortunate) experience, this is the worst thing you can do in front of an angel, since you're teaching it to associate the coral with food. So, when he's hungry he just returns to badger the coral, hoping it will have some food and the cycle continues.
I learned quickly...I no longer feed any of my LPS. And my Flame Angel has never nipped at any other LPS.

Marshall O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 07:11 PM   #15
edavis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suta4242 View Post

great advice

edavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal, dwarf angel, foxface