Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2017, 01:04 PM   #676
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
I'd be more curious about the air draw. Do you have the watts drawn for both too?

Is the waveline apex ready? If not it won't handle much more head pressure then the mag1800. I don't have flow numbers for the mag18 or waveline dc12000 but I do have air flow and watts drawn to compare to.

My dcp18000 with the mazzei 684 I do have flow rate for via apex flow sensor and got about 380gph. With the 784 about 390gph flow. But it also has near 30' head.

If you're concerned a vinegar soak of the pump and injector for several hours wouldn't hurt.
I think my problem may be using the 1/2" flow sensor (I have a 1" on order). 1. It creates more back pressure from reduce from 3/4 to 1/2 than back to 3/4. 2. where I am using 1/2 tubing between 2 1/2" barb fitting I am getting pretty good kinks in the tubing, restricting flow. The skimmer is external to the sump.

Not sure the watts of the Mag 18 I think I remember seeing 40 on my Kill O Watt meter. The Waveline (which is not Apex ready) was 150 at full speed with 190 flow.

I can't re-check the Mag watts as I have the skimmer off line for a thorough cleaning. No I am having a terrible time stopping the two bulkheads fro leaking. To anyone considering taking one apart for cleaning, do not disturb the bulkheads. I should never have removed them.

When I place it back in service I am going to run PVC from the pump to the water inlet on the skimmer.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 01:40 PM   #677
jason2459
Registered Member

Ah yes, you need to go up and not down. That's extra preasure going down to 1/2" along with pinched tubing. I went to spaflex and sch40 pvc.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 01:36 PM   #678
anit77
Registered Member

Hi everyone. Last week I got Jeff at MTC building me a custom 48" MVX. I'm really looking forward to joining the club!!! I've been following this thread and a similar one Jason started over on R 2 R. Very good info in both and I have some thought's on how I'm going to set up the plumbing to maximize performance.

My system is a 220DT with a 120 sump, I figure the total water volume is 265 gallons. The skimmer is going to run external.

I'm going to build a stand for the skimmer so it sits just higher than my sump, which sits on the floor in my basement, so the height at the base allows for the supply & return lines to clear the top of the sump. I'm going to be running a DCP-18000 pump that will be in the drain chamber of the sump. For the supply plumbing I'm going to come off the pump with 1-1/2" PVC and route it up and out of the sump then run horizontally directly to the inlet of the skimmer. I will step down the the PVC to 1" for a Neptune flow meter then attach the injector next a few inches before entering the skimmer base. The injector will be installed with the air inlet facing down, so whenever the pump is turned off water will flow through it. I believe that by using larger diameter pipe off the pump and the total length of the piping being 4.5' or less before the skimmer inlet it will greatly reduce the head pressure on the pump.

I just don't know how large of an injector I can get away with before it's supplying to much flow. I know Lifereef skimmers use a 1" Mazzei so I was thinking about using and 878, 885x or 978. There just very little info out there about sizing. I'm hoping I could get away with at least an 800 series. If so I can have Jeff set the inlet up to accept 1" pipe and use this Tee inside the skimmer. Going this route could push the water flow upwards of 500+gph and have an air draw over 40scfm.

Do you think going with a 1" injector will supply too much flow for this size skimmer or could one of the 800 series injectors be right in the sweet spot?

anit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 03:17 PM   #679
mchljrdn
Registered Member

How's the noise on the MVX? I have a tank in a living room - I currently run a SWC 160. I'd really like to take the plunge but more noise would be a killer.

mchljrdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 10:04 PM   #680
jason2459
Registered Member

Late reply but it will be as loud as your pump. Mine is very quite with the jebao dcp18000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchljrdn View Post
How's the noise on the MVX? I have a tank in a living room - I currently run a SWC 160. I'd really like to take the plunge but more noise would be a killer.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2019, 04:12 PM   #681
DeepBlueZoas
Registered Member

Hsa 1000

Does any body know what company makes this union they used for the old 1000 skimmers? I've looked everywhere and bought a few different brands and none of them fit. Please help! I can not use the skimmer without it...Have called the company and the number is disconnected.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190128_170451.jpg (31.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190128_170928.jpg (36.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190128_170924.jpg (28.6 KB, 16 views)
DeepBlueZoas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2019, 09:32 PM   #682
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlueZoas View Post
Does any body know what company makes this union they used for the old 1000 skimmers? I've looked everywhere and bought a few different brands and none of them fit. Please help! I can not use the skimmer without it...Have called the company and the number is disconnected.
Look on the threaded collar of the union. A lot of the manufacturers have their name listed on the ring.

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2019, 06:45 AM   #683
anit77
Registered Member

Pretty sure it's Spears.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

anit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2019, 07:07 AM   #684
Tigé21v
Registered Member

The unions on mine are Spears.(The best unions IMO). Quality, just like everything else with my MTC.
If all else fails, you can go to one of the big box stores and grab a 1" pvc slide repair coupling and see if the nut will fit your setup. If it doesn't, you can just swap out the whole fitting assembly with the one you purchased.

I hate to hear their number is disconnected. I hope they didn't close their doors.
If they did, Jeff can walk away with the pride of knowing anything he built will be around for many years to come. Quality products that are built like tanks.

Tigé21v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2019, 10:03 AM   #685
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

The unions on the HSA1000 are Spears ..... BUT, Spears have redesigned them and the HSA used both the older ones and the newer ones. You have to measure the collar. If it’s 2 3/8” then they’re the older ones. If it’s 2 1/2” then theyre the newer ones. Those you can order off amazon. Both have the same part number 497-010.

MTC are closed. Website still runs for now.

I have a lot of MTC parts laying around. What are you looking for specifically?

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 01/29/2019 at 10:25 AM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2019, 10:28 AM   #686
Reef Reactor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
The unions on the HSA1000 are Spears ..... BUT, Spears have redesigned them and the HSA used both the older ones and the newer ones. You have to measure the collar. If it’s 2 3/8” then they’re the older ones. If it’s 2 1/2” then theyre the newer ones. Those you can order off amazon. Both have the same part number 497-010.

Do you have an external beckett valve?

Enviado desde mi HTC 10 mediante Tapatalk

Reef Reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2019, 12:22 PM   #687
DeepBlueZoas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

I don't have the collar to measure never had it the skimmer came without it. But I measured the diameter of the threads and it's 2 1/8 in. I need the collar and flange piece that screws onto this. I have both the internal Beckett and the external Beckett for it and they both need the same pieces. And are both the same size. So without the collar idk what brand this is it doesn't say anywhere but I do know Spears current 497-010 does not fit I ordered it from Amazon and it is much too small of a collar. Can you still order the older version of the union somewhere? It is glued to the Beckett so can't change it to the new one. Thanks.

Unread 01/29/2019, 12:44 PM   #688
DeepBlueZoas
Registered Member

These are the pictures of the new Spears union collar measured 2 3/8 in and threads measured 2in vs 2 1/8in o. The one attached to the skimmer.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190129-134138.jpg (16.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190129-134121.jpg (18.4 KB, 13 views)
Unread 01/29/2019, 12:50 PM   #689
DeepBlueZoas
Registered Member

Here are the pictures of the one attached to the external Beckett.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190129-134632.jpg (29.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190129-134626.jpg (19.8 KB, 10 views)
Unread 01/29/2019, 02:40 PM   #690
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Not sure I am entirely following …. what do you mean by internal versus external beckett? Is your HSA one of the older ones where the beckett pipe goes down the middle of the reaction column? Maybe by external, you mean the beckett installed in the white PVC sleeve rather than inside the clear cylinder? Regardless, you should be able to find the spears union to thread onto the beckett on amazon (spears union 497-010). The collar from that union should be compatible. The other one, measuring only 2", I have not been able to find (and I did look). Perhaps that one you can completely cut out and patch in a different union. Might be helpful if you can show a picture of the entire skimmer.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 01/29/2019, 02:56 PM   #691
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
These are the pictures of the new Spears union collar measured 2 3/8 in and threads measured 2in vs 2 1/8in o. The one attached to the skimmer.
Is this a new one you just bought? If so, where from?

Unread 01/29/2019, 03:49 PM   #692
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't have the collar to measure never had it the skimmer came without it. But I measured the diameter of the threads and it's 2 1/8 in. I need the collar and flange piece that screws onto this. I have both the internal Beckett and the external Beckett for it and they both need the same pieces. And are both the same size. So without the collar idk what brand this is it doesn't say anywhere but I do know Spears current 497-010 does not fit I ordered it from Amazon and it is much too small of a collar. Can you still order the older version of the union somewhere? It is glued to the Beckett so can't change it to the new one. Thanks.
If you can't find a union to match, you can replace the portion you have. If you work carefully, you can use a torch to heat the hub of the half of the union that still remains attached to the skimmer. Warm just the socket of the union and keep away from the spigot end of whatever is cemented into it. Grab the threaded portion of the union, which should be cooler since you didn't warm that portion, with a pair of pump pliers. Gently twist the union until the bond breaks from the cement. It may take a couple times with heating with the torch. Once you get it off, you might just have to clean up the spigot end of the pipe or beckett with some sand paper to get it ready to re-glue on the new union. It sometimes helps to cut a relief cut into the hub of the union to give it a place to separate and "un wrap" from the spigot. Just cut into the hub, don't cut into the spigot.

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2019, 09:51 AM   #693
Chicago
Registered Member

ok.. back at my MTC .. skimmer... wondering how you guys keep the settings for the flow stable.. mine I am constantly readjusting to maintain just enough for the skimmate to flow over the edge and not allow gallons of water to over flow... i set it perfectly and days later no skimming as the level has dropped.

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote