Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/08/2018, 06:00 PM   #1
jkidd155
Registered Member

Return pump

Settin up a 120 goin full blown triton method wat would be a good return pump thnks

jkidd155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 09:09 PM   #2
dkwatts15
Registered Member

I just replaced my 4 year old jeboa dc3000 with a RO various 2 on my 75G. Very happy with it so far and it is Apex ready. It is silent and controllable. My Dc3000 went out on New Years Eve through the night. Go figure if it’s a holiday something breaks. Probably could bump up to the various 4 or 6 with your 120.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkwatts15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 05:44 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkidd155 View Post
Settin up a 120 goin full blown triton method wat would be a good return pump thnks
We cannot answer your question based on the information given..
You need to state where your sump will be located so we can give a pump recommendation based on head height (distance from sump water level to top of the display tank)

There is quite a difference in the return pumps if one was to have a basement sump vs one right under the tank on the floor..

It would also help to let us know the type of overflow and the piping size in this 120G tank.. Many reef ready tanks will not be able to drain the Triton required 10x flow rate without being quite noisy and you may need to change your overflow plans to accommodate that higher flow rate.

Unread 03/10/2018, 09:10 AM   #4
gabe145
Registered Member

Triton calls for 10 times turn over from the return pump. I'd suggest a DC pump as they are quieter.

gabe145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 12:28 PM   #5
Boochika
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwatts15 View Post
I just replaced my 4 year old jeboa dc3000 with a RO various 2 on my 75G. Very happy with it so far and it is Apex ready. It is silent and controllable. My Dc3000 went out on New Years Eve through the night. Go figure if it’s a holiday something breaks. Probably could bump up to the various 4 or 6 with your 120.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your head height for your 75 gallon? I feel like the varios 2 would be under powered on something like this assuming you're coming from a sump which would be near 4 feet of head and a few elbows. About 8 feet total head. I'm new to this so perhaps I don't fully understand. I would expect you want 5-10 tank volume flow.

Boochika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Mknuwet
Registered Member

Fluval sp4.

I will never trust a DC pump on my return. Well at least until we’ve hit multiple generations worth. Hear too many stories about DC pimps failing in skimmers, returns nd powerheads and systems going to hell when a main does

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 10:18 AM   #7
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mknuwet View Post
Fluval sp4.

I will never trust a DC pump on my return. Well at least until we’ve hit multiple generations worth. Hear too many stories about DC pimps failing in skimmers, returns nd powerheads and systems going to hell when a main does
Is two years running the same DC pump as a return long enough to have trust???

Unread 03/18/2018, 11:35 AM   #8
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
Is two years running the same DC pump as a return long enough to have trust???
Not really, unfortunately. Considering it can wipe out your tank if you don't have two return pumps plumbed, I'd hope you get a lot more years than that. My Ehiem 1260 ran for 10 years continuously. It would still be running if the tank seam hadn't given way.

jezzeaepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 04:08 PM   #9
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzeaepi View Post
it can wipe out your tank if you don't have two return pumps plumbed,
Does anyone really do this? Since the majority of the filtration is the live rock, a tank could run far longer with just flow in the DT than you'd think.

Never read of a tank crash due to a return pump failing.

Unread 03/18/2018, 04:22 PM   #10
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
Does anyone really do this? Since the majority of the filtration is the live rock, a tank could run far longer with just flow in the DT than you'd think.

Never read of a tank crash due to a return pump failing.
It will depend on a number of factors. Can the tank die if it loses heating/cooling ability? How much gas exchange do you have in the main dislay vs how many creatures using oxygen?

Cetianly wouldn't matter in a number of scenarios, but could be lethal in others.

jezzeaepi is offline   Reply With Quote