Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/28/2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Clownfish29
Registered Member

Sargassum..Pics?

When I went fishing this year offshore, we would find these huge amounts of sargassum algae and they would have seahorses all over them. I read that some of you keep them in your tanks, and Im wondering if its the same thing, and where do you get it. I would like to put some in my tank, but am not sure if its the kind i saw. The kind I saw was yellow-orange and free floating in the ocean. Anyone have it, or is there another type? Pics>

Clownfish29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2008, 09:14 PM   #2
philter4
Registered Member

Ask the question in the marine plant forum, but I live in south FL and we get the floating sargassum weed as well, it doesn't do well in tanks. There are several types of anchored sargassum and it does much better, but is not easy.

Current Tank Info: 1 fish and 1 reef new 24 gal current nano
philter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2008, 12:03 AM   #3
pledosophy
Registered Member

I am keeping sargassum in my seahorse tank. It is a slow grower compared to other macro' s but is doing well. Maybe quadrupled in size in the last 3 months.

Sorry no pics for the moment, wife went out of town with the camera. I'll try to get one up though. The pieces I have are still fairly small.

I got mine from reefcleaners.org

HTH