Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/19/2017, 04:42 PM   #276
jordimex
Registered Member

as for the return pump i got the Vectra M1 read your thread and had to get one, the skimmer the guy at the LFS told me that i don't need one right away so i might wait a bit, unless you recommend not waiting what skimmer do you have?
also could you recommend me a good heater?

jordimex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 04:45 PM   #277
jordimex
Registered Member

also saving money for the ATO

Unread 06/19/2017, 04:55 PM   #278
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordimex View Post
as for the return pump i got the Vectra M1 read your thread and had to get one, the skimmer the guy at the LFS told me that i don't need one right away so i might wait a bit, unless you recommend not waiting what skimmer do you have?

also could you recommend me a good heater?

I think you should plan to get a skimmer soon; it's an important bit of equipment. I am running a bubble king mini 160; got one used; they are really expensive new and mine is loud! I would suggest doing a bit of research and find a good skimmer that will not break the bag. The old ac bubble magus curve 5 is supposed to be pretty good. It's important to leave some space in your sump to accommodate the skimmer.
For heaters, I ran a jager 200 but it is bulky and really only fits in one direct in the 250 sump. I swapped them out for two finnex titanium 100w heaters, which can fit in all three chambers in the sump; you can probably get away with a single 100w depending on the ambient temperature in your home. You may also want to think about getting a cheap gfo reactor; it may come in handy on the early days if you are using uncured dry rock, which will put out a lot phosphates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 04:58 PM   #279
jordimex
Registered Member

i am buying all live rock and live sand ill definitely look into getting that heater!!

Unread 06/19/2017, 05:04 PM   #280
jordimex
Registered Member

i was looking at the Reef Octopus Classic 110INT 4” Internal Protein Skimmer what do you think about that?

Unread 06/19/2017, 05:09 PM   #281
jordimex
Registered Member

what is a GFO reactor?

Unread 06/19/2017, 05:35 PM   #282
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
what is a GFO reactor?

Phosban 150 or something similar to run GFO media which absorbs phosphates in the water column

Unread 06/19/2017, 05:46 PM   #283
jordimex
Registered Member

also what do you think about the stock socks that come with the original set up?

Unread 06/19/2017, 06:46 PM   #284
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
also what do you think about the stock socks that come with the original set up?

I use them; try to buy a bunch of them if you get a chance. Check our pelphrey's thread; he uses a modified sock

Unread 06/19/2017, 07:08 PM   #285
jordimex
Registered Member

perfect definitely will do thank you!!

Unread 06/19/2017, 07:43 PM   #286
pelphrey
Registered Member

I use a BRS felt sock, I cut the plastic ring off and it will fit. I use those in the first sock holder, the one closest to the drain since it handles the majority of the flow. I use Red Sea mesh socks in the sock holder closest to the outside of the sump. The vertex socks fit perfectly but they are longer than I like.

I also took a dremel to the black plastic on my sock holder so I can pull the socks out of the top. I don't use the Red Sea ATO. I've done a bunch of videos!

That third light par is crazy!!!!

Last edited by pelphrey; 06/19/2017 at 08:08 PM.
pelphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 07:49 PM   #287
jordimex
Registered Member

pelphrey!!! you and tenure pro are what got me to buy the reefer 250 lol i believe you have a video about the sock thing right? also i love the hard plumbing you did have you changed anything? did it work out? i am planning on doing something like that by any chance do you have a list of the equipment i would need as well as if you would recommend me doing that with the Vector M1 return pump?

Unread 06/19/2017, 08:10 PM   #288
pelphrey
Registered Member

Quote:
pelphrey!!! you and tenure pro are what got me to buy the reefer 250 lol i believe you have a video about the sock thing right? also i love the hard plumbing you did have you changed anything? did it work out? i am planning on doing something like that by any chance do you have a list of the equipment i would need as well as if you would recommend me doing that with the Vector M1 return pump?
I've never run that pump, but I can say from experience that ecotech equipment is top notch! I don't want to hijack this thread, I've documented my entire build on my thread and on YouTube. I updated it today with my newest mods.

The Red Sea tanks are second to none. I wish I could have got a bigger one! Haha

Unread 06/20/2017, 04:28 PM   #289
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelphrey View Post

That third light par is crazy!!!!

Right? Big boost!

Unread 06/25/2017, 03:36 PM   #290
tenurepro
Registered Member

Things are going well. Growth is good and colors are decent.

I am continuing my potassium nitrate dosing, but still maintains the levels between 1 to 2 ppm. Two interesting observations. Potassium did increase after one week of dosing but has held stable at 420 ppm since. Thanks this suggest that my tank consumes about 14 mls worth of 0.1 g/l KNO3 per week.
Second observation, the bits of cyano on the sand are declining, but GHA is definitely increasing. While it is not taking over the tank, the few patches of GHA appear to be getting thicker. I got a few more snails and will likely get a few more next week to manage the situation. Hoping the chaeto in the fuge will start growing faster.
In an effort to keep the algae under control, I picked up a small kole tang. He is in the qt. He finished two rounds of prazi and is on the first week of copper. He'll go into the DT in two weeks if all works well.
I had wanted to pump nitrates to 5 ppm, but with the GHA on the verge of going out of control, I will wait for fuge/coc/tang to manage it before ramping up KNO3 dosing.

Bought a new frag - sunset millipora. Very nice colors.

Gave the sump a good cleanup; cleaned up vectra and bubble king mini 160. Oddly, the skimmer got considerably quieter - about 10 to 15 dbs! I must have had something not connected well!

One last thing - I am trying out the new seachem salt. I used to use instant ocean. No major complains with IO you really need to mix the buckets well and the sand is very fine and gets into the air when mixing. The seachem salt has large crystals which don't generate any dust and dissolve really well which is a plus

Unread 07/04/2017, 06:18 AM   #291
tenurepro
Registered Member

A little problem...
Was away on a little vacation; noted that my skimmer was filling up to fast on Sat so turned it off via apex.
Come home Monday to a bleached strawberry shortcake frag
Tested parameters and all looked good
Today woke up to this

All my black footed snails are spawning turning the water very cloudy.

I wonder if that is the cause of the frag RTNing and dying. Mass spawn -> high organic load, bacteria, low oxygen (turning off the skimmer didn't help) > frag dying

Any tips on how to deal with this would be great. I did a couple of little water changes, will plan to do a few more

Unread 07/08/2017, 10:25 AM   #292
tenurepro
Registered Member

The star of the tank

Unread 07/08/2017, 12:36 PM   #293
alshayazoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
A little problem...
Was away on a little vacation; noted that my skimmer was filling up to fast on Sat so turned it off via apex.
Come home Monday to a bleached strawberry shortcake frag
Tested parameters and all looked good
Today woke up to this

All my black footed snails are spawning turning the water very cloudy.

I wonder if that is the cause of the frag RTNing and dying. Mass spawn -> high organic load, bacteria, low oxygen (turning off the skimmer didn't help) > frag dying

Any tips on how to deal with this would be great. I did a couple of little water changes, will plan to do a few more

My snails do that from time to time as well. It lasts for one night and I believe it also coincides with the phase of the moon. I just run my skimmer and my chromis get a good meal. It clears up over night. The spawn did not have any effect on my corals so I suspect your issue was lack of oxygen or possibly a change in PH from a change in oxygen exchange?

alshayazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 09:42 PM   #294
tenurepro
Registered Member

Reefer 250 build

Ok results of nitrate dosing experiments are in, with before and after pics; I saw improvement in some but not all sps; see for yourself in the video.
Also, 13 month updates and new kole tang.

https://youtu.be/CysuZ77UasY

Unread 07/30/2017, 05:54 PM   #295
tenurepro
Registered Member

13.5 month brief update: things going well. Kole tang is getting along with all fish, his hlle is healing a bit. Sold one of my two ornate leopard wrasses. Bringing down Alk to around 8, after a few large water changes with new seachem salt raised it to 9.6; ca around 460, mg 1320. Dosing KNO3 on and off to keep nitrates at 5 ppm; phosphates undetectable.
I did up then radions sps ab+ by 1% at max intensity (69%). Sps colors are looking pretty good and the polyp extension is pretty impressive. Really like where the tank is at right now. Will send out some water for ICP testing to get a better idea of my trace elements.

Some pics
RR orange passion

The blue voodoo is looking good

Pink lemonade is looking better and better, here is what it looked like a month ago and now

Pink caddie looking mean in pink

And 1 month growth pics of the mystery tort

Unread 08/18/2017, 08:20 AM   #296
tenurepro
Registered Member

14 month update! Chugging along
https://youtu.be/AZh9FZYPhaA

Unread 08/18/2017, 09:31 PM   #297
Sam2832
Registered Member

Wow!Nice acro collection.Your tank will be awesome once they get some growth.

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 05:00 PM   #298
tenurepro
Registered Member

Thanks! I am looking forward to some acro growth too!

Unread 08/20/2017, 12:45 PM   #299
mystikal
Registered Member

Looks good! I like the aluminum foil idea. I need to get something for the same light spillage issue.

Unread 08/20/2017, 07:24 PM   #300
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikal View Post
Looks good! I like the aluminum foil idea. I need to get something for the same light spillage issue.

Thanks man... yeah the aluminum foil works well; otherwise, I have to clean algae from the skimmer every week which is a pain