Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2017, 06:43 AM   #1
ctreefer
Registered Member

How to measure UV wavelength?

Sorry, slightly off topic from reefing but is there a fairly easy and cost effective way to test the wavelength output of both florescent and LED lighting? Specifically I'm trying to determine the UV wavelength output of these types of lighting.

I purchased a $500 chroma meter (TES 136) manufactured in Taiwan that I thought would do the trick but it doesn't seem to provide any beneficial data.

We are sourcing bulbs from a supplier in China and want to ensure they are using what we are specifying. This is actually for a non reef related product so I'm not looking for wavelength specific for reef keeping but rather for attracting bugs.....

ctreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2017, 10:58 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

What specifically are you specifying?
Peak at a point?
What you want is a spectrometer

and you can DIY one fairly easily (google DIY spectrometer).. Its basically a CD and some cardboard and it actually works fairly well and they can get more advanced and still be fairly low cost.... If thats sufficient depends on your specific requirement..

Unread 10/20/2017, 11:00 PM   #3
mikluha
Registered Member

If you want:
1) Fairly easy and cost effective = yes. Build a diffraction grating using CD (pretty much useless for real data but looks cool). Or get relatively inexpensive Hamamatsu C12880MA. You can get it with Arduino break board and calibration data for few hundred bucks from groupgets. Slightly better than CD-based but still a toy.

2) Real data, which are consistent and verifiable. And can be used for for product. Get a real spectrophotometer. Make sure it's properly calibrated. Otherwise, it's wasted money. You should be able to rent one as well.

mikluha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Maivortex
Registered Member

what you need is spectroradiometer which can quantify the amount of light in any desired wavelength range.

Maivortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 06:00 PM   #5
blasterman789
Registered Member

Good luck trying to visibly measure UVA (300-400nm ) by bouncing light off a CD.

Cheapest spectrometer I've used is $900, and mine requires constant recalibration.

blasterman789 is offline   Reply With Quote