Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2017, 04:22 PM   #126
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post

That's some nasty stuff considering you don't have whole lot of fish in there.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 01:53 AM   #127
mike810
Registered Member

A couple weeks ago, my wife asked if I thought the tank was ready for corals. I said possibly, not sure as nitrates were around 25-50 and po4 was .08. She went ahead and bought some corals without my knowledge and this is what showed up.

Slightyly browned out strawberry short cake. It's improved a little in the roughly two weeks it's been in the tank but not by much.

This one came in completely brown. It now has a glowing teal green color. This one has shown the most improvement thus far.

This one also came in completely brown. It now has a slight purple tint and the branches are turning a creamy white color. Looking forward to seeing what this one does.

Some of the wife's gold torches and a green hammer

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 06:01 AM   #128
McPuff
Registered Member

I'm curious to know how aggressive your ruby head wrasse is. Mine is the "boss" of the wrasses in my tank. :0) And it's quite large.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 09:21 AM   #129
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I'm curious to know how aggressive your ruby head wrasse is. Mine is the "boss" of the wrasses in my tank. :0) And it's quite large.
Red head salon is currently the boss amongst the wrasse. The ruby and orange back tried to team up and punk the red head but damn that red head fought back against the two and now calls the shot.

Unread 08/24/2017, 05:46 AM   #130
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Red head salon is currently the boss amongst the wrasse. The ruby and orange back tried to team up and punk the red head but damn that red head fought back against the two and now calls the shot.
That's funny. My solon fairy wrasse was really resilient when I first added it. The ruby head pummeled it quite a bit. He came through just fine! But it has never chased another fish. I feel they are underappreciated and have such tremendous coloration as they get bigger/older.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 01:59 PM   #131
mike810
Registered Member

So this came in the mail today.

Very good packaging.

This reactor is big! But it looks so awesome.

I'll be setting it up tonight.

Unread 08/25/2017, 08:36 PM   #132
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
So this came in the mail today.

Very good packaging.

This reactor is big! But it looks so awesome.

I'll be setting it up tonight.
That's an awesome addition Mike! Those cooling vents have an intriguing design to them and the whole setup looks hefty. I've read nothing but good things about them here on RC. The entire Pax design looks heavy duty and from what I've read, extremely effective. How tall is it?

Unread 08/29/2017, 02:17 AM   #133
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
That's an awesome addition Mike! Those cooling vents have an intriguing design to them and the whole setup looks hefty. I've read nothing but good things about them here on RC. The entire Pax design looks heavy duty and from what I've read, extremely effective. How tall is it?
Thanks Chris, it's absolutely heavy duty. It has a good weight to it and it's very beefy. The heatsink seems to work really well as it does get warm when the leds are not but never too hot to touch. The leds are very bright, looking forward to see what it does in a week or two.

Unread 08/29/2017, 02:18 AM   #134
mike810
Registered Member

Reactor installed, I got a bit of chaeto to start off with. Hopefully it will fill the reactor in no time. This reactor has some weight to it and it just has quality written all over it. The heat sinks works really well as it gets pretty warm when on for awhile. It's super bright also, I'm thinking I won't even need any moon lights on my tank at night anymore. It pretty much lights up the entire corner of my living room. I'll open up the reactor in a week and see how much the chaeto has grown.

I think I finally got this Dastaco running perfectly now. It's been a trend with this tank that pretty much any equipment I buy, I have to trouble shoot it as there is always something wrong with it. Majority of the stuff has not been plug and play for me, not fitting of things in such a price range. The co2 reaction chamber would completely drain causing the ehiem pump to run dry. It would eventually restart on it's own but it shouldn't run dry in the first place. Even though it was delivering alk/ca to the tank, it was also wasting a lot of co2.

Well, this KHG got packed up and shipped back to CoralVue yesterday. Loved it when it was working properly but in the less than a month it's been running, it's been throwing errors left and right. I would be able to clear the errors and get it running again but it would throw an error again a week later. This time, there was an error I couldn't clear and one of the doser motors stopped turning. Hopefully it will be an easy fix and I'll get it back soon.

Some pics my wife took of the newly acquired corals.

Unread 08/29/2017, 02:19 AM   #135
mike810
Registered Member

Unread 09/05/2017, 02:17 AM   #136
mike810
Registered Member

The Dastaco has been keeping parameters rock steady since it's been set up, alk: 8, ca: 450 and mg hasn't budged (mg isn't dosed) from 1500 since the tank started up again.

Last couple weeks the rocks and sand have changed colors from green to brown. My gut is telling me it might be dinos but my mind is hoping it is not. It's slimey but not super stringy. It can grow maybe 1/8-1/4" off the rocks. It's most likely dinos so I've been skimming wet, dosing some zeobac and changing socks daily. I'm hoping the chaeto will out compete it once it grows in more.

The arid reactor has been online for about a week now. I started with a golf ball size of chaeto and this is how much it's grown in a week. Is this normal growth for a week or is it slower or faster than usual? I've never ran a fuge so I'm not really sure of it's growth rates.

Unread 09/05/2017, 12:26 PM   #137
asonitez
Floodicus Maximus Flooris

I love the build. Do you qurantine your fishes? If not how do you deal with disease?

asonitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2017, 01:45 PM   #138
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asonitez View Post
I love the build. Do you qurantine your fishes? If not how do you deal with disease?
I do not. Once I am done adding fish, I treat the tank 20-24 days with polyp lab medic at triple the dose. After that I will treat the tank with prazipro.

Unread 09/05/2017, 01:46 PM   #139
asonitez

This is cool. I'm doing something similar. I hypoed the entire display for a month or 2 but I might try medic as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 09/05/2017, 01:54 PM   #140
mike810
Registered Member

Medic hasn't failed me yet. I use triple the dose though and treat longer than 20 days if necessary.

Unread 09/05/2017, 02:19 PM   #141
asonitez

Lol this is why I like build threads. You lean something new every time. I never heard of this product. My move to hypo salinity resulted in some big algae blooms that my ozone generator cleared up almost overnight.

Now I'm interested in water quality and treating these guys. I like hyposalinity because it's safe. I have 2 refractometer one fine 1.015 and up and one that has a wider range both calibrated with 1.026 saltwater calibration solution. But I do want an added "thing" to really get them healthy prazi was a given but I think I might try this medic as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 09/08/2017, 01:49 AM   #142
mike810
Registered Member

Took some photos tonight with the DSLR. My camera skills are very lacking. I need to watch some videos and learn how to set the camera.

Just wanted to mention this clog free glue cap I found on Amazon several years ago. I helps keep the glue nozzle clean and clear and ready to go whenever you need to use it. I have been using this bottle of glue for a couple years now and I have never had to poke or cut the nozzle to clear a clog. It has a needle inside the cap and replaces your original superglue cap.

Whatever this bacteria/algae was on my sand and rocks seems to be clearing up.

Here is a picture of one of the first SPS in my tank. It was completely browned out. It has since colored up nicely.

8-8-17

8-19-17

9-8-17

Unread 09/08/2017, 01:50 AM   #143
mike810
Registered Member

Unread 09/08/2017, 01:51 AM   #144
mike810
Registered Member

Unread 09/08/2017, 01:55 AM   #145
mike810
Registered Member

Some pictures my wife took with her phone and a orange gel filter. Gotta say, it looks like it came out better than the pictures I took with a DSLR.

Unread 09/08/2017, 03:22 PM   #146
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Nice fish selection you have there.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2017, 03:24 PM   #147
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Do u have the lid yet? The jaw fish is prone to jump

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2017, 10:24 PM   #148
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
Nice fish selection you have there.
Thanks, I wasn't able to snap a shot of all them yet. Hopefully I'll have a couple more gems coming in next week if it all works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycnibrc View Post
Do u have the lid yet? The jaw fish is prone to jump
I made a screen and it's been on the tank since the first fish went in.

Unread 09/09/2017, 09:33 PM   #149
mdrobc1213
Registered Member

Quote:
So I have some good news and bad news. I'll start with the good. I got up this morning (more like noon) and filled up the tank full along with the sump. Ran the tank and checked for leaks, a couple minor leaks from the unions which I took care of right away. I fired up the skimmer and it started producing a good foam right away even with the pump on the lowest setting and pipe wide open. The water is a nasty yellow/green and stinks. The pukani rock is dirrrrrtay. I checked the ammonia and got a good solid green reading via API test. I threw in 5 bottles of bio-spira and I was on cloud 9. Today was the day the cycle begins!

Just did my 1st hard plumming build and also had a few leaks at the unions also...how do you/did you fix yours? Am at a loss other than redoing the plumbing lines which I don't necessarily want to do. Leak was at my drains...1" union into gateway valve then another 1" union to a 90 elbow to the sump drain #1. Help/thoughts on this?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1363.JPG (57.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1364.JPG (70.9 KB, 34 views)
mdrobc1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2017, 09:38 PM   #150
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Check the rubber seal at the union sometime it fell off. Are u tight the union enough? Brand-new union don't leak. If it leak where u glue the PVC then try silicon or more glue around the edge

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote