Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2007, 02:29 PM   #1
Reef-Emperor
Registered Member

Seachem's Reef Salt

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering has anybody tried Seachem's new reef salt? What are your thoughts/results by using it?

Thanks!

Reef-Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Schadiest1
Registered Member

I personally haven't used it, but I too saw that SeaChem had reef salt, and was going to use it in my next reef. If it's anything like there other additives, it's gotta be great. It's less expensive than Tropic Marin too.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max 250 Reef
Schadiest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Schadiest1
Registered Member

anyone?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max 250 Reef
Schadiest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2007, 04:52 PM   #4
smac
Registered Member

I've used it before and I'm actually using it now. It makes salt water. Doesn't seem to be significantly better or worse than the other salts I've used (i.e. Reef Crystals or Instant Ocean). I'd recommend it, though I wouldn't rave about it.

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2007, 12:13 AM   #5
crpeck
Premium Member

I found this thread doing a search to see if anyone else is having the same problem I do with Seachem. I'm about to give up on it.

I've been using it since September after using Oceanic for a long time. My corals are no better or worse than what they were. My Ca and Alk is more stable. But Seachem mixes up really cloudy for me and if I don't use it within about 48 hours, the whole batch will precipitate out..... every time.

I used to think I had one bad batch, but this is my third bucket of the stuff. I mix it up slowly and then warm it to 80 and run an airstone in it till I'm ready to use it.

Still searching for the perfect salt. For me ... Seachem isn't it.

Current Tank Info: IM Fusion 40/AI Hydra 26
crpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2007, 08:51 AM   #6
Grey Reefer
Registered Member

I remember reading somewhere that the Mag levels in Seachem salt are on the low side. Like in the 900 range.Go check out the Seachem forum here at RC. I mix IO and Oceanic I get just about all the right levels for natural sea water. I do boost the Alk up from 9 to about 10-11 range. All salts are basically the same, I just buy to cheap brands that combined get just about all the right water parameters.

Grey Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2007, 09:04 AM   #7
hammerswinger
Moved On

I was gonna try it but have had such good luck with reef crystals i figure why switch.

hammerswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2007, 09:22 AM   #8
crpeck
Premium Member

Absolutely.

I only switched because I was tired of dosing all the time with Oceanic. My ALK was always low. But it was consistent and I had figured out a pattern and had the dosing down to a system where things stayed stable.

When I switched, the Seachem did better at holding even levels of Ca and Alk, but I got into a yoyo thing while I figured out the new dosing requirements.

Changing salt is kind of a pain for that reason I think. You have to commit to doing a lot more regular testing till you see how your levels will hold. I am kind of intrigued with the IO/Oceanic combo, Grey Reefer. A lot of people are swearing by that.

I don't see a lot of people having the same problem I do with the precipitate in Seachem so I must be doing something weird that i don't know about.

hammerswinger .... If you've got things stable and doing well, I'd sure leave it alone. I really wish I had done that. Seems like I always have a compulsion to tweak instead of leaving well enough alone.

Unread 03/25/2007, 06:28 PM   #9
GfishNQ80
Registered Member

Seachem reef salt problem

I have had the same problem... using Seachem's Reef Salt. Regardless of the water source and excluding any additional variables, the salt consistently mixes cloudy, carbonate precipitates out of the solution, and measures >600ppm upon mixing to an SpG of 1.025.

I've contacted Seachem and will be submitting a sample for their review...

GfishNQ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2007, 07:02 PM   #10
crpeck
Premium Member

I finally figured out the trick the last two batches of my last bucket after ordering a different brand .... wouldn't you know it.

When I mix using a pump in the tub to circulate more aggressively, leave the pump in to keep the water moving as well as running an air pump/stone for oxygen and wait till the next day to put the heater in, the water stays clear and doesn't precipitate. I had an old Rio 800 laying around from an old skimmer that did the trick very well. I think that when the Seachem water sits around with only an airstone and becomes significantly warmer than the room around it, it drops out ... at least that was the pattern for me.

My last batch of Seachem water stayed usable all week this time without precipitating out.

Try and see if it works for you. Please let me know what you find out from Seachem. I hate to think about the gallons of mixed up water I had to pour out before I finally figured out how to keep it from happening.

Unread 03/26/2007, 11:33 PM   #11
GfishNQ80
Registered Member

Sounds good! Thank you for your response. I will keep in touch and report Seachem's findings.

Besides the precipitation issue.. what are your thoughts on the excessively high Ca?

GfishNQ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2007, 06:28 AM   #12
crpeck
Premium Member

I only got such high Ca measurements when the water had precipitated out. When I measured the cloudy water, Dkh would be about 5 - 6 and the Ca would be off the charts.

When I mixed it up at room temp with a strong pump, the water mixed clear and had normal values for Alk and Ca

Good luck!