Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2017, 10:37 AM   #1
FPSD
Registered Member

Skimmer size question

Hi, starting a 150g display tank with a 75g sump ( probably be smaller volume)
And adding a 40g for just macro. Fish wise probably never a really crowded tank. Mostly corals and a nice balance of fish. Lps mainly but can't rule out future sps also.
What would you recommend skimmer wise? Should the fuge and macro tank figure into equation? Thanks.

FPSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2017, 11:02 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Skimmer sizing is based on theoretical loads in the display. When I say load, I am talking about fish as they and their food is what generates the dissolved organics that skimmer uses for foam functioning. Our sumps and refugiums reduce the load as opposed to contribute towards it. Bubble King skimmers are conservatively rated and should be sized based on display volume since that is where the load is generated. When sizing one of our skimmers, there is typically a range. At the low end of the range, you would need a heavy load. I truly heavy load is about 1/2" of fish per gallon of display volume. At the high end of the scale, a lower load is assumed. With a 150 gallon display, you could go with a Double Cone 180 if the load is low to medium. If the load is medium to high, I would suggest a Double Cone 200.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote