Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2018, 03:04 PM   #1
DanCorals
Registered Member

Xenia Overgrowth Solution

Hey Everyone,

I occasionally see posts regarding explosions of Xenia growth in reef tanks overgrowing coral. The default answer seems to be the manual removal of Xenia from the rocks which can be difficult if it is encrusting over a large area in an established reef. I had this issue at the end of last year and a $5 piece of black felt and some patience (10 weeks) took care of the issue! The felt can be easily cut to size depending on the area where you want the Xenia removed. The best part is, because the Xenia died off slowly, the tank didn't get shocked in the same way that scraping causes. Here is the before and after:

DanCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 03:16 PM   #2
Watchm@n
Registered Member

I'm having this issue on a piece of rock...
How long has your after pic been clean for now... As in how do u know it won't grow back

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Watchm@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 05:14 PM   #3
DanCorals
Registered Member

When you remove the felt it is apparent that the xenia flesh is gone. If there is no leftover living flesh than Xenia wont regrow. Often there are patches of white dead xenia left under the felt that peel off the rock easily. If there is a patch of xenia that somehow got a sliver of light and still is growing, it is easy to smother that section with some bonding putty. But overall, it helps eliminate large patches of Xenia with little effort. The patch in the picture has been free for 3 weeks now. But I can see no Xenia flesh so I am confident that it will not return.

DanCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 09:59 PM   #4
Drix
Premium Member

These pulsing Xenia? I kinda want some...

Drix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 02:20 PM   #5
THEUNION1
Registered Member

Frag and sell?

THEUNION1 is offline   Reply With Quote