Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2015, 09:20 AM   #51
terry4505
Registered Member

Brand new aquarium. But I have already drilled it for an external overflow

terry4505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 09:52 PM   #52
MaccaPopEye
Registered Member

Do not place shims between a tank and a stand! They create pressure points which is exactly what you want to avoid

I agree with contacting the manufacturer and sending them a photo. I have read about quite a few tanks having this gap in the middle and I think that its ok as long as all 4 corners are supported but the manufacturer will be able to confirm that as I wouldn't take anyone else's word for it.

Great looking build btw, following along keenly.

Cheers,

Macca

"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
MaccaPopEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2015, 12:58 PM   #53
terry4505
Registered Member

Some goodies have started to arrive:

Of course, I don't have the Apex to run these yet..

I think once I get the Apex and get these guys running I will put them on the overflow end of the tank.

Six Stage water saver plus from BRS:

And the tank with sand and rock looking like absolute crap:

Once it clears up I will start working on the scape. I am thinking 3 islands with lots of caves and swimming area. There may actually be too much rock in the tank

I will say this. The Vecra M1 is friggen SILENT. And with my 1500 GPH synergy reef overflow, I have to keep it down to 1 or 2 or there is so much water running through the overflow that my silent overflow becomes un-silent. I was a little concerned that it wouldn't be able to push enough water to run the tank and various reactors, remote fuge etc. That is absolutely NOT the case. The L1 would have been crazy overkill.

Unread 11/27/2015, 04:41 PM   #54
terry4505
Registered Member

Couple of fun updates on this black Friday. I mounted my RO unit and got the barrels drilled for float switches:

I bought a used Kessil A360We and a Radion Gen 3 Pro and they arrived today. I mounted them in my temporary fixture. I am going to grab a second Kessil and run it on the other end. The shimmer on this thing is unreal!

I also picked up some real reef branch rock and I think this is the aquascape for now. I am sure I'll be moving things around as we go, but I am happy with this:

Skimmer should be here Monday. Then it is time to cycle this baby using the Red Sea reef mature program

Unread 11/27/2015, 05:02 PM   #55
Srixon
Registered Member

Are you on a well? Or just that good of a reef keeper that you want double RO membranes with DI? Not trying to be a tool but I can't believe that your water is that bad...But if it is...Kudos on the awesome RO system!

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon Ecotech SCA Cube
Srixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2015, 05:10 PM   #56
terry4505
Registered Member

The dual membranes cut the waste in half. One of my goals of this tank was to limit my environmental impact as much as possible.

Unread 11/27/2015, 05:14 PM   #57
Srixon
Registered Member

So you are looking from the 1:3 to the 1:1...nice....I like the idea...if you want my opinion that you might try....make the DI take the "hit" before the Ro membranes....More life from the most expensive part. DI resin can be recharged where as membranes can't

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon Ecotech SCA Cube
Srixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2015, 05:55 PM   #58
intyme
Registered Member

The gap could be where the weld cooled and bowed the steel a little

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon Reef Ready, DIY Custom stand and canopy, Reef Breeders Photon 48, Aquamaxx CO-1 skimmer, Jebao DCT4000 pump, JBJ Ato, 2 RW-4
intyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2015, 05:56 PM   #59
intyme
Registered Member

Oops I guess I wasn't finished reading the whole thing lol.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon Reef Ready, DIY Custom stand and canopy, Reef Breeders Photon 48, Aquamaxx CO-1 skimmer, Jebao DCT4000 pump, JBJ Ato, 2 RW-4
intyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2015, 03:32 PM   #60
johno4
Registered Member

Tank looks great. New house, new tank; exciting times for you...

Congrats!!!!

johno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2015, 07:06 PM   #61
terry4505
Registered Member

Thanks guys.

Last of the major purchases (for now). I picked up my protein skimmer tonight, I also did some cord management and got things cleaned up a bit:

My only complaint is that the skimmer is far from silent. Under normal circumstances, this wouldn't matter. But because the tank is in the living room and the stand is wide open (for now) everything is heard.

Unread 11/28/2015, 09:21 PM   #62
Sabres429
Registered Member

Can I just say something..?

This is an Awesome! build.

Sabres429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2015, 09:44 PM   #63
terry4505
Registered Member

Thank you.

I have been planning/thinking about this for months. I have never built a tank from scratch before. Everything I had previously was inherited, bought used, or pieced together.

So being able to plan this out has been awesome. Seeing my vision come together has been a lot of fun. I am getting close to the part where I have to just wait out getting fish and corals in here.

The noise from the skimmer has me thinking about skinning the stand sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, I haven't really though about what I want to do for the skin. I might just throw some temporary plywood sides with magnets up to quiet it down for now.

Unread 11/28/2015, 11:09 PM   #64
Sabres429
Registered Member

Have you looked at the Vertex skimmers at all? Their beats and I believe run extremely quiet. I have the Reef Octopus 110 and it's dead silent.

Sabres429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2015, 06:26 AM   #65
terry4505
Registered Member

I ran a Vertex Omega 150 on my last tank and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, it's not big enough for this tank. I thought about the 180i, but ultimately settled on this one. If I am being honest, it is louder than I had hoped...

Unread 12/03/2015, 05:30 PM   #66
terry4505
Registered Member

Couple of quick updates...

I am on Day 6 of the Red Sea Reef Mature program and it is going swimmingly (see what I did there...?) I am loving it. The tank glass is covered with pods and the tests are reading exactly as Red Sea says they should. Tomorrow is my first water change.

I picked up my Apex yesterday, got it updated and connected to Fusion and fired up the Neptune WAVs. I was worried about two pumps being enough to move water to the end of a 6-foot tank. I was wrong. These things move a TON of water and so far they are dead silent. I am going to have to mess with the programming to get them to do what I want, but I am picturing the two of the alternating back and forth.

The tank is coming along well:

Unread 12/04/2015, 04:03 PM   #67
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Beautiful!
Lots to love here.

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2015, 08:36 AM   #68
johno4
Registered Member

Looks great man

johno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2015, 10:57 AM   #69
terry4505
Registered Member

Thanks guys. Clean up crew gets added today.

Also set up the IP camera so I can watch it from wherever:

Unread 12/06/2015, 03:26 PM   #70
terry4505
Registered Member

I think I have made a decision.

I had Radions and T5s on my old and tank loved them. I wanted to try out Kessil A360Wes on this tank. I was going to try to blend Kessils and Radions over the same tank, and I just don't think it is going to work. I don't like having to navigate two systems with the lights, it's not like logging into ESL and just making changes and having them work.

I am going to go with 3 Kessil A360Wes, and sell the Gen 3 Pro Radion I picked up. I have an old MH/T5 fixture I picked up, I am going to mount the Kessils where the MHs were. There are 4 60" T5s in the fixture which should be more than enough. It even comes with fans and moonlight LEDs, which is pretty sweet. The Kessils will extend down a few inches below the fixture, as it is only about 2.5" thick, but I am totally fine with it. I might even try to bend the bolts I use to attach the Kessils, so I can angle the two on the ends towards the middle a bit. We'll see.

I also added two Blizzard clowns from my old system today and a frag of Green Slimer and a Duncan coral. Reef mature program is humming along, tests look good, 0-Nitrites, 0- Ammonia, 10- Nitrates.

I am mixing up a barrel of Red Sea Coral Pro salt (what I will be using). I used plain old IO for the cycle, just to save some $, but will be shifting over to the good stuff from here on out.

(I started typing this yesterday, I added some frags from the old system and a tiny Hippo Tang, which is my favorite fish since. No more additions for a while):

And the Apex stuff in its temporary spot:

The wires are a mess, but everything is running. The Apex is controlling the skimmer, return pump, auto top off, heater and webcam for now. I bought the leak detection monitor, but haven't programmed it yet. I am also going to get the Salinity probe/PM2 and AFS at some point.

And my view as I type this (can't see the two pugs pugging out on my lap):

Unread 12/06/2015, 10:46 PM   #71
Henry Colf
Registered Member

Terry, tank looks great!! I'm on day 2 of the mature reef program. Hoping I will have the same success.

Henry Colf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2015, 02:47 PM   #72
terry4505
Registered Member

Thanks Henry.

I am a strong supporter of the Red Sea reef mature program after having gone through it. I didn't think in 21 days it would be possible to have a tank with so much life in it. The glass is absolutely covered with pods.

I am in the middle of a full-on diatom bloom. There are patches of brown on the rocks and the sand bed. I am slowly adding to the CUC. I also plumbed in a manifold off of my return pump with 3 1/2" outlets. Two are currently being used for a full sized and mini- BRS reactor. The full-sized is running carbon and the mini is running 4 TBS of GFO. I want to cut off any nutrient problems before they start.

I also modded my skimmer for a float switch in the cup, to shut it down via the Apex in the event of an overflow (I came home to one the other day, and want to avoid the issue in the future).

Unread 12/14/2015, 12:19 PM   #73
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry4505 View Post
I also modded my skimmer for a float switch in the cup, to shut it down via the Apex in the event of an overflow (I came home to one the other day, and want to avoid the issue in the future).
That's a good idea. Looks like you just drilled through the lid of the collection cup? Seems pretty straight forward...

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2015, 12:34 PM   #74
terry4505
Registered Member

I just expanded one of the holes that already existed in the cap. I also had to trim off some of the inner rim of the cap to get the switch to fit without getting stuck

Unread 12/16/2015, 03:11 PM   #75
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry4505 View Post
I just expanded one of the holes that already existed in the cap. I also had to trim off some of the inner rim of the cap to get the switch to fit without getting stuck

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote