Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2015, 07:35 AM   #51
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceRulez View Post
I've currently got the rock in a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank. Today I changed the water due to various aromas around the tank. I think I'll keep it in the back and let it run it's course in fresh water before I throw the rock back into the tank. People are turned off by strange smells.
Run it with salt mixed water you can do it at a lower sg like 1.20 But it will start the rock cycling. That smell is the die off you need to start a cycle

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2015, 07:36 AM   #52
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvchbj View Post
As far as lr goes a lb per gal isn't an outlandish amount as it's what we normally go by as a guide for reef tanks. Some say a lb and a half per gal
Depends on the rock density.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Unread 10/07/2015, 09:52 AM   #53
ScienceRulez
Registered Member

Unfortunately I will never be able to house that much live rock in the tank, with all the kids we get things could get broken very easily, starting with the tank. I do intend to eventually have about 4-500 pounds though.

The LFS expert made a surprise visit yesterday and brought us a bunch of macro algae, some misys shrimp, 2 emerald colored mushrooms (I think that's what he called them), and a bunch of bugs from one of his clients' tank. It's sitting in my QT tank right now and eventually it'll go into the refugium once I'm sure there isn't anything nasty lurking.

At the back of the tank is a small sump, where the tank overflow goes. This area gets no light. I opened that yesterday for cleaning when the expert arrived and he thinks we might have some anemones back there, he ID'd them as Aipasia(sp). He told me that they might be trouble in the future. Where we got them I have no clue, again with the fish missing so many different species have shown up it's amazing.

ScienceRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2015, 10:26 AM   #54
CStrickland
Registered Member

I think that bioballs are common for fowls, larger museum aquariums and touch tanks. They can elevate nitrates if they aren't maintained properly (just rinsing them off once in a while), but can be a nice supplement to live rock if you aren't trying to keep picky coral. You could also add supplemental denitrification, like an rdsb, or sulfur reactor to offset that. Just a thought.

That aiptasia might also be Corynactis anemone, they like the dark. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/10/inverts

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2015, 12:44 PM   #55
ScienceRulez
Registered Member

Ok, here are some pictures of what I am talking about for identification. This is in a sump on the back of the tank and because of the cover it gets almost no light at all.

https://goo.gl/photos/eYVMtpGBrzt5TtyE8

Unread 10/08/2015, 08:15 AM   #56
ScienceRulez
Registered Member

The testing looks really good today. Nitrates are below 20, and phosphates are between 0 and .25, while ammonia is still at 0. So I think I can say I am slowly getting a handle on things.
Yesterday I attached a reactor with carbon to the small pump with the rock in it starting to cycle to handle the smell. Today the smell is gone! I did add some salt yesterday as suggested, I'm going to add a little more today to get the SG up to 1.020. Hopefully in a couple weeks I can start to look at one or two fish for the QT tank.

Unread 10/09/2015, 10:32 AM   #57
ScienceRulez
Registered Member

The tank with the rock is mighty toxic right now. The API dip test for ammonia is maxed at a reading of 6ppm. Do I need to do a water change or just let things be for the time being?

Has anyone been able to identify the anemone from my pictures yet?

Unread 10/09/2015, 11:17 AM   #58
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Leave it alone and let it cycle. It will take a while for it to convert to nitrites and then to nitrates. Once you are 0 on both ammonia and nitrites you can change your water. Do check your nitrates before you do the wc and after.