Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2015, 10:26 PM   #1
Lunchbox360
Registered Member

Cool Thinking about adding a couple fish

Hello
i have a 90 G i have a yellow tang, two clowns, blue hippo tang, cardinal fish. i was thinking about adding a Mandarin fish because i have an insane amount of pods in my tank and i need to start lowering the population of my pods. thinking about adding maybe two fire fish. so around three fish im not trying to add a whole lot more so i might just add one or two. i have heard Some good things about Anthias. tell me what you think its a toss up between the fire fish and anthias.

thanks

Lunchbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2015, 03:26 AM   #2
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

Do you have a good ammount of rock and a decent size fuge? Also how long has the tank been setup? Those things will determin if you can keep a mandy. Mandys can clear a tank of pods fairly fast as they eat about 5 pods a min all day long.

The hippo tang will outgrow your tank so be prepaired to find it a new home later on.

Firefish would be a good addition, not sure if 2 will get along though unless paired. Anthias are great fish also but need to be fed about 3-4 times a day.

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2015, 03:59 AM   #3
Sapelo
Registered Member

I really thought this was a sticky (it should be) but do read this before thinking any further about a Mandarin
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...light=mandarin

Shifty is also correct, a 90 gallon is no place for a Hippo so do keep that in mind sooner than later.

Lastly, firefish (and I agree again that it's either a bonded pair or one) are jumpers so make sure you have a tight fitting lid.

Sapelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2015, 05:03 PM   #4
Lunchbox360
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapelo View Post
I really thought this was a sticky (it should be) but do read this before thinking any further about a Mandarin
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...light=mandarin

Shifty is also correct, a 90 gallon is no place for a Hippo so do keep that in mind sooner than later.

Lastly, firefish (and I agree again that it's either a bonded pair or one) are jumpers so make sure you have a tight fitting lid.
Thank you for that link it was very helpful i do have about 70lbs of live rock and a decent size fuge and my display glass is covered in pods so i could only imagine how many are living in my rock.
i have a euro brace on my tank but that might not be enough protection for the fire fish im still looking i might get the mandarin. and for the hippo tang i didn't know it got really big thanks for that ill be carefull with him make sure he gets a good home when he gets larger

Lunchbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2015, 10:10 AM   #5
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Sorry but...

The Yellow will get too large for a 90 and the Hippo will get far too large for a 90.

Personally I'd rehome both now and free up the bioload for more smaller fish.

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote