Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2018, 09:50 AM   #1
Mikeb76
Registered Member

90 gallon Light upgrade

Hello I wanted to see if I could get some suggestion on lighting for my 90 gallon tank. I currently have 2 chines LED boxes and my corals aren't getting the growth I would like. I'm thinking of getting two Kessil A160WE lights for my tank.

I have a canopy that the lights will be mounted to from the top. would these light work for me ? I have a mixture of corals.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kessel_lights_800x800.jpg (101.7 KB, 68 views)
Mikeb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 02:07 PM   #2
mattgumaer
Registered Member

I would argue that the trend with point-source/puck style LEDs is to try to make the light more diffuse to eliminate hot spots directly under the pucks, even out the light and reduce shadowing. Ecotech has pretty clearly been going in this direction. If I were you, I would be concerned that it would be difficult to get nice even lighting with two Kessils. One of the advantages of the black box setups you already have is that the light is more diffuse, although perhaps not as well blended as it would be putting multiple colored LEDs in a puck.

Assuming light is the source of your growth issues, I'd try to put some retrofit t-5s in your hood rather than swapping out your black boxes for Kessils. But, others may disagree.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Mikeb76
Registered Member

mattgumer what color T5 bulbs should I try?

Unread 12/17/2018, 11:01 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Chinese black box LEDs have been shown to be able to grow corals just fine..
Maybe your lack of growth is because of other reasons (low nutrient levels maybe).
Just saying..

What are your nitrate and phosphate readings?
What are your alk/mag/cal readings?

Unread 12/17/2018, 04:04 PM   #5
mattgumaer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb76 View Post
mattgumer what color T5 bulbs should I try?
I run two ATI coral plus and two blue plus on my 180 with some Ecotech Radions turned pretty far down.

Lighting with LEDs can be a guessing game without a par meter. While there are some reasonably 'tried and true' numbers for t-5 and metal halide, it's often tough to guesstimate your par in various areas with LEDs because there are so many kinds and they're so adjustable. If possible, borrow a par meter.

Matt

Unread 12/17/2018, 11:54 PM   #6
Seasidenj
Registered Member

I would look into ecotech and aqua illuminations lighting

Seasidenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 07:22 AM   #7
Dagfish
Registered Member

Led Chinese box .?

I'm know someone knows where these Chinese black box led lights are discussed?

I need one or more for my 120 short tank? Intermediate corals

Thanks

Dagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 08:27 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagfish View Post
I'm know someone knows where these Chinese black box led lights are discussed?

I need one or more for my 120 short tank? Intermediate corals

Thanks
Please try to repeat that question or whatever that was supposed to be again.
Your sentences didn't make any sense..

Unread 12/18/2018, 02:53 PM   #9
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Hello I wanted to see if I could get some suggestion on lighting for my 90 gallon tank. I currently have 2 chines LED boxes and my corals aren't getting the growth I would like. I'm thinking of getting two Kessil A160WE lights for my tank.

I have a canopy that the lights will be mounted to from the top. would these light work for me ? I have a mixture of corals.

Thanks
Hi, if you are going to use an all LED lighting, then I would look into the Orphek Atlantic 4, or the Mitra Lx 7206 lights on the high end or the Reef Breeders Photon V2+ lights for the middle pf the pack lights. The Photons, in my opinion are the best lights on the market for the money. If you are in the market for the best lights and price is not a problem then go with the Mitra's, or the Orpheks.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 01:36 AM   #10
candymancan
Registered Member.

For a 90g tank id get this fixture. Rhey also have ones eith duel switchs if youre one of those people that like to habe half the lights turn off.

And for 4 bulbs id get two sti blue plus and a coral plus and one purple plus. I found this gives a nice bluish pinkish hue and allows you to see fish colors better but also allow coral still glow.

Mine grow pretty good with this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y26NSR9...ing=UTF8&psc=1

candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 09:30 AM   #11
Mikeb76
Registered Member

My zooans, Mushrooms, and Blastos are doing ok , My Candy canes are hanging on. My Green Birds Nest, Red Planet, purple digi, tri color corals all slowly died. I moved them around in the tank to see if the light was burning them. I just ordered a Apex PAR meter and will be running some test.

Thanks for the reply

Tank Parameters
- 10% water change every 2 wks
- Temp: 76.5
- pH 7.9-8.1
- Salt 35
- Alk: 7-8
- Cal: 450
- Mag: 1350
- Ammonia: 0
- Nitrite: 0
- Nitrate: 0
- Phosphate: 0

Dosing
ALK,CAL, MAG, Iodnie, Fuel,

Unread 12/19/2018, 09:58 AM   #12
Diana A
Registered Member

Your nitrate and phosphate should not be zero. Try dosing dosing phyto and other concentrated, zooplankton type refrigerated supplements on a daily basis. You should see a big difference in coloring up within two weeks

Unread 12/19/2018, 02:05 PM   #13
mattgumaer
Registered Member

Quote:
My zooans, Mushrooms, and Blastos are doing ok , My Candy canes are hanging on. My Green Birds Nest, Red Planet, purple digi, tri color corals all slowly died. I moved them around in the tank to see if the light was burning them. I just ordered a Apex PAR meter and will be running some test.

Thanks for the reply

Tank Parameters
- 10% water change every 2 wks
- Temp: 76.5
- pH 7.9-8.1
- Salt 35
- Alk: 7-8
- Cal: 450
- Mag: 1350
- Ammonia: 0
- Nitrite: 0
- Nitrate: 0
- Phosphate: 0

Dosing
ALK,CAL, MAG, Iodnie, Fuel,
These parameters all look very good. If nitrate and phosphate are truly zero (or at least immeasurably low), your system may be somewhat starved for nutrients. Do you have any algae growth, on the glass or otherwise? But, if lack of nutrients was the problem, I might expect to see soft corals and LPS suffering before sps/acros.

Alk of 7 is at the very low end of acceptable in my opinion, particularly for acros/sps. I think you'd be fine at 7 but, would likely see adverse effects at anything lower. Stability is also key. I might try to shoot for 8.0 and keep the range between something like 7.8-8.2. Some run much higher to try to accelerate growth.

I think a par meter is a great investment. I would definitely test in multiple areas and multiple tank levels. I had 3 Ecotech Radions over a standard 180 and bought an Apogee par meter. I was shocked at how different the lighting levels were in different areas of the tank despite appearing to have similar lighting levels to the naked eye. This is what led me to add first two, then ultimately, four t-5s to my setup. In my setup, I had limited room to raise my lights higher above the tank. One way to even out LEDs is to hang them higher. You can also add fixtures of course, running a greater number of fixtures at lower power. In general, i think LED makers underestimate the number of LED fixtures required for nice, even lighting and recommend too low a hanging height. The combination of the two can cause issues with uneven lighting.

Matt

Unread 12/19/2018, 02:44 PM   #14
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I agree that the problem is likely lack of nutrients..
They are exactly like fertilizer for your lawn.. Too much and you have a problem.. Too little and you have a problem..
You are in the too little category.. Your corals are starving for nutrients.. Some level of nitrates and phosphates are needed by all marine organisms...

Try getting both to be in the measurable sections of your test kits.. Nitrate of 5 and phosphate of .03 or so is typically suitable..

Unread 12/21/2018, 12:56 PM   #15
Mikeb76
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the help, I will work on get the Nitrate and phosphates up. :-)

Unread 12/21/2018, 02:32 PM   #16
Seasidenj
Registered Member

2 ecotech Marine g4 work perfect over my 90 gallon tank

Seasidenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2018, 02:56 PM   #17
rtague
Registered Member

6x 54w ATI sunpower.

rtague is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2018, 05:12 PM   #18
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana A View Post
Your nitrate and phosphate should not be zero. Try dosing dosing phyto and other concentrated, zooplankton type refrigerated supplements on a daily basis. You should see a big difference in coloring up within two weeks
can you send me a link or a pic of these things?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2018, 10:20 PM   #19
Mikeb76
Registered Member

Test 1 complete with my Apex PAR meter from bottom of the lights to the bottom of tank (with 2" sand bed) 0-145PAR @ 33" ( lights are 10" off the water) Upping the intensity tomorrow by 20%

TEST #1

RightBlue
Fallback OFF
Set 10
If Time 09:30 to 10:30 Then BSunRise
If Time 10:30 to 15:30 Then BSunDay1
If Time 15:30 to 21:00 Then BSunDay2
If Time 21:00 to 23:00 Then BSunSet
------------------------------------------------------
BSunRise
Ramp Time 60
Start Intensity 10
End Intensity 40

BSunDay1
Ramp Time 255
Start Intensity 40
End Intensity 75

BSunDay2
Ramp Time 255
Start Intensity 75
End Intensity 40

BSunSet
Ramp Time 255
Start Intensity 40
End Intensity 10

-----------------------------------------------------

LefttWhites
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 10:00 to 10:59 Then WSunRise
If Time 11:00 to 15:59 Then WSunDay1
If Time 16:00 to 19:59 Then WSunDay2
If Time 20:00 to 21:00 Then WSunSet

WSunRise
Ramp Time 60
Start Intensity 10
End Intensity 50

WSunDay1
Ramp Time 255
Start Intensity 50
End Intensity 60

WSunDay2
Ramp Time 255
Start Intensity 60
End Intensity 30

WSunSet
Ramp Time 1
Start Intensity 30
End Intensity 10
----------------------------------------------------

T5 Lights
9:40am -21:00

Unread 12/26/2018, 05:57 AM   #20
mattgumaer
Registered Member

Mike,

A few suggestions.

Make changes slowly. Personally, I wouldn’t change intensity more than about 5 percent per week. Actually, I make adjustments at about 1percent a week.

If I’m understanding your post, you’re at 145 par at the sand at max intensity. That doesn’t seem bad and makes me wonder about par levels toward the top of the tank, where you’re more likely to put sps.

If you measures at just one spot on the bottom, I would measure at other places as well. One of the changes of LEDs, at least puck style lights, is getting even lighting.

Your schedule seems like it is constantly ramping. Even if your max lighting level is ‘ideal’, how long are your lights delivering that amount of par? I love the control LEDs give you, but, I think it can be overdone. If I were you, I’d ramp up in the morning and down at night, but, I’d have a solid block of 4-8 hours at your max intensity.

Matt