Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2019, 09:45 PM   #1
Alex114
Registered Member

Opinion on T5s

Just started a new tank so there will be a few months till anything is added but it is a 20 long with an aquatic life 4bulb T5 light. The light is on the rim of the tank only a few inches above the water level. Will this be too much light/too close for sps corals? Easy going sps is the goal of the tank. Would it be better if I hung it from the ceiling about 12 to 18 inches above the tank instead? Please feel free to let me know if you think this will likely not work regardless of where the light is. I would rather find out now instead of in 5 months if nothing grows

Additionally I know lighting isn’t everything. I will have an mp10 for flow and will be dosing/checking parameters daily on this tank. But I have never tried T5s and wanted some more opinions!

Alex114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2019, 10:20 PM   #2
Daddi0
Registered Member

I like to hang my fixtures:
- It makes it easier to get into the water.
- I worry about shocking myself when my arm touches the fixture and my hands are in the water.
- I dont knock them into the water and they (or I ) die
- I like to have a little space for the steamy air to escape
Cheers! Mark
The fixture uses H/O tubes?

Unread 11/19/2019, 05:47 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The fixture sitting on the tank is unlikely to be too much light...
Thats how those fixtures are designed isn't it? They have legs for that built into the fixture..

Unread 11/19/2019, 08:03 AM   #4
Alex114
Registered Member

Yes they do have legs for it. But it’s a 12 inch high tank so any coral will be within 12 inches of the light at max. And good point! I did not think about shocking myself while working on the tank lol.

Unread 11/19/2019, 08:22 AM   #5
Constantine
Registered Member

I assume you won't have glass tops covering the tank? That makes a difference in how much light gets through and also "steamy water" escaping.

I'm sure it's possible, but I don't know how in the world you would have your arm in the tank and accidentally stick your arm through the side of the aluminum case or plexiglass cover and make contact with bare wires. I've worked in a tank with a T-5 fixture on top of it for years. Maybe if you cupped your hands and scooped up water, then tried to drip it down inside the vent fans... maybe you'd get shocked that way?

Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2019, 05:49 PM   #6
Alex114
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
I assume you won't have glass tops covering the tank? That makes a difference in how much light gets through and also "steamy water" escaping.

I'm sure it's possible, but I don't know how in the world you would have your arm in the tank and accidentally stick your arm through the side of the aluminum case or plexiglass cover and make contact with bare wires. I've worked in a tank with a T-5 fixture on top of it for years. Maybe if you cupped your hands and scooped up water, then tried to drip it down inside the vent fans... maybe you'd get shocked that way?
Haha yeah I’d have to try hard to get shocked. And no. No glass top although I could which I did not think about. I’ve got a spare one that fits the tank somewhere. I will probably end up hanging the light just for easier access to the tank if anything

Unread 11/19/2019, 06:17 PM   #7
Daddi0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post

Some of my older t5s tend to get moisture in the end caps and up in the housing - especially the ones that dont have a good ground. I have felt a shock before while having my hand in the tank and my arm touching the metal fixture.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 11/19/2019, 07:45 PM   #8
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

For what its worth i am running a 20long myself but my T5s are a 2 bulb setup that have legs & sit on the top of my rimed tank. im 4" off the water. I do however have a custom glass top that has a hinge that allows easy access to anything.... as long as i move the light to the back of the tank first like when doing water changes or vacuuming. I LOVE having a glass top, almost no evap at all & no issues with the lighting like salt creep or electrical shock issues. Open top tanks are a whole new World of worms. To many its the only way to go visually tho so im not judging ea. has its pros & cons
On a small tank i think a glass lid is a real help plus the added ins. of not loosing any fish jumpers is nice too, not to mention very min evap or salt creep. If my tank required dosing & major evap say for Alk then well id be SOL. But most small tanks don't have this issue.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2019, 08:04 PM   #9
Daddi0
Registered Member

As I think about it, a couple of my shocks were caused by stray voltage in the reef and my arm touching the light grounded me

Unread 11/20/2019, 07:23 AM   #10
Constantine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
As I think about it, a couple of my shocks were caused by stray voltage in the reef and my arm touching the light grounded me
That makes sense. I could definitely see that happening.

Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote