Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2014, 12:17 PM   #176
GT350pwns
Registered Member

Looks awesome, man! Was considering something near identical for the 10 gallon build I want to do! Looks like I have a blue print haha

Does the water level in the overflow stay high enough to possibly add a skimmer? Something that I'm toying with the idea of. But, I also think that might just be over complicating things lol.

Last edited by GT350pwns; 07/22/2014 at 12:33 PM.
GT350pwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2014, 12:43 AM   #177
ReeVo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350pwns View Post
Looks awesome, man! Was considering something near identical for the 10 gallon build I want to do! Looks like I have a blue print haha

Does the water level in the overflow stay high enough to possibly add a skimmer? Something that I'm toying with the idea of. But, I also think that might just be over complicating things lol.
Thanks bud

That chamber is way too small for a skimmer to even fit and the water level is always fluctuating in that compartment. It's a great place for an ATO switch though. I would highly recommend an ATO switch or else your going to here sloshing of water every hour due to evaporation.

Best place to put a skimmer is in your HOB filter, if the skimmer is small enough or HOB filter is big enough. The Tunze 9001 nano skimmer just came out. Aquacave carries it. It's got the smallest footprint and from what I've herd, a great skimmer.

ReeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2014, 01:16 AM   #178
ocram
Registered Member

Very nice nano tank! I also like the aquascape.

However, clowns and these relatively big shrimps in such a small tank is just cruel i.m.o. Can you move them to your 50G tank when needed?

I would buy some very small fish and some very small shrimp, since they look much more naturally in a nano reef.

Marco

ocram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2014, 06:59 AM   #179
ReeVo
Registered Member

If anyone is still interested in this build and design, I'm starting to build my tank with the same concept but more complex

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2428435

Unread 07/23/2014, 09:16 AM   #180
GT350pwns
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeVo View Post
Thanks bud

That chamber is way too small for a skimmer to even fit and the water level is always fluctuating in that compartment. It's a great place for an ATO switch though. I would highly recommend an ATO switch or else your going to here sloshing of water every hour due to evaporation.

Best place to put a skimmer is in your HOB filter, if the skimmer is small enough or HOB filter is big enough. The Tunze 9001 nano skimmer just came out. Aquacave carries it. It's got the smallest footprint and from what I've herd, a great skimmer.
Thinking about running an ac 110 as a fuge (containing the heater and the skimmer) and a 50 as the actual filter. Also thinking that would provide more than enough water movement in a 10 gallon tank

How often do you have to top off your auto topoff?

Unread 07/23/2014, 03:40 PM   #181
ReeVo
Registered Member

Quote:
Thinking about running an ac 110 as a fuge (containing the heater and the skimmer) and a 50 as the actual filter. Also thinking that would provide more than enough water movement in a 10 gallon tank

How often do you have to top off your auto topoff?
Almost every hour or else the water level drops in the overflow about an inch and you start to hear trickling water. That's why I recommend having an ATO switch installed in the overflow chamber.

Unread 07/23/2014, 04:18 PM   #182
GT350pwns
Registered Member

Let me rephrase the question, my fault for ambiguous wording. How often do you have to refill the topoff reservoir for your ATO?

Unread 07/23/2014, 04:27 PM   #183
ReeVo
Registered Member

Quote:
Let me rephrase the question, my fault for ambiguous wording. How often do you have to refill the topoff reservoir for your ATO?
Haha it's ok I guess it was still somewhat helpful.
A 5 gallon jug lasts about 2 weeks.

Unread 07/24/2014, 08:44 AM   #184
GT350pwns
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeVo View Post
Haha it's ok I guess it was still somewhat helpful.
A 5 gallon jug lasts about 2 weeks.
Alright cool!

Unread 08/06/2014, 03:48 PM   #185
YellowSno
Registered Member

i love the tank... im gonna do the same ac mod u did because yours came out the cleanest looking that i can find... i had a question about the cree lighting though...
i was wondering if i wanted to water proof it just in case can i add a touch of silicon glue in the area soldered to protect the area?? and also if i wanted to daisy chain a second light to it would i go from the opposite end of the cree where the open + - is?

YellowSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2015, 08:12 AM   #186
Clown99
Registered Member

where did you get the black acrylic for the over flow?

Clown99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basket, intank, nano, overflow, refugium