Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/28/2015, 07:17 PM   #1
Pooky125
Registered Member

Paludarium Sump Question

I realize paludariums aren't exactly the specialty of this forum, but I'm hoping you knowledgeable plumbing people can help me out.

I'm in the process of planning on plumbing a paludarium and in my research, I've contemplated adding a sump to my setup. Tentatively, I'm thinking my tank is going to be a 36x18x36 exo terra, with at most 5 inches of water at the bottom of the tank. However, I have neither the equipment or the skill to drill this tank, and while I'm intending to put fish into the system at the moment, I'm not sure 5 years down the line that will be the case. So, looking for something fairly easy to remove without disturbing the future non-aquatic inhabitants to much.

I was watching this video, and wondered if something like this would be an option for me? I'm not looking for a huge amount of turn over. All the fish that may go into this system will likely be from very slow moving ponds, and prefer a gentle trickle, more then white water rapids. Will this even be an option in a tank this tall? Or should I scrap the whole idea?

With that said, I had been thinking of using the output as the water source for a waterfall. So, enough for a nice trickle, not so much that I worry about drowning the tank.

I was thinking a 29 gallon as a sump, probably no more then half full. This Was the pump I'd picked out, although I'm by no means set in stone on it, and I'm open to suggestions. Would this be sufficient for my requirements? The tank is 3 feet tall, and the stand will probably be a standard aquarium stand in the 30-32" range. So, 5.5-6 feet of head just to get into the tank. For the overflow itself, I was thinking 3/4" PVC, although if I would be better off upping that to 1 inch, I certainly can.

Am I headed in the right direction? Is there an easier way to accomplish my goals? Or should I scrap the whole idea?

Tags
overflow, paludarium, shallow, sump, tall