Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2017, 07:38 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

pvc cement toxic to reef tank?

Hi,
I just had my new tank plummed with PVC. I had someone do it, as it would take me a year to do so. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure some of the PVC cement he used dripped into the tank water. This happened when testing for leaks, one was found. So he patched it up. And I'm pretty sure some of the cement dripped in the sump water. I was upset at this, and he said not to worry, as it is all solvent, it solidifies upon hitting the water. Which it did (I tested that in a glass of water after he left lol). But does this cement leave anything toxic in the water?

*If I have to dump all the water in the system == about 120 gallons, I will, and re'make' it from RODI. Will take 2 days, but if I'm at risk, if someone knows, please let me know. I really dont want to start off with bad water.

Thanks!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 07:44 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I've used PVC many times, and never had an issue. If you're using something rated for water lines, it should be fine.

Unread 10/16/2017, 07:48 PM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

I have had the stuff drip into my tank during plumbing work. No problems for me.

Disclaimer: not an sps guy

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 07:54 PM   #4
CTaylor
Registered Member

I"m an sps person ..
Bertoni -- I know it's fine if it's glued together and dried. But Have you had it drip in? etc. I'm super nervous about this. I know there are toxic ingredients in it. If they all precipate out, or somehow vaporize b/c they are so volatile than great. But there must be something bad left behind (?). Anything left behind just cant be anything but bad << I've always been nervous about foreign stuff getting in the tank water from previous experiences.
Thanks again.

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 08:28 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I think you don't need to worry, but if it makes you feel better just run a polyfilter for a few days.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 08:36 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

The toxic elements are the volatiles, and I don't think there will be enough in a drop to do much. They also should leave the water column quickly.

Unread 10/16/2017, 09:30 PM   #7
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

I have had cement drip directly into the tank when working on plumbing above the tank without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 11:51 AM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
The toxic elements are the volatiles, and I don't think there will be enough in a drop to do much. They also should leave the water column quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
I have had cement drip directly into the tank when working on plumbing above the tank without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

IMHO/IME, you are stressing about a non-issue.

Save the stress for when something really bad does happen!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote