Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2017, 03:29 PM   #1
marco j
Registered Member

CO2 Scrubber/Best suppliers of sodalime

I just bought two CO2 scrubbers from BRS and will be setting them up this weekend. My hope is to get my pH stable above 8.3 to increase overall coral growth.

Obviously the BRS option is pretty pricey. I am looking into medical grade options to cut down on costs. Does anyone have any sites or companies they recommend?

I am going to run two canisters in hopes of helping to extend the life of the media.

Any other suggestions?

marco j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 12:36 PM   #2
jrhupp
Registered Member

Skip the medical grade. Try a local dive shop.

I ate a jellyfish... tasted like soy sauce.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon system in progress
jrhupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 02:18 PM   #3
marco j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhupp View Post
Skip the medical grade. Try a local dive shop.
Dive shop? What does a dive shop sell the stuff for and can I get in large quantities?

Unread 12/16/2017, 04:43 AM   #4
jrhupp
Registered Member

My understanding is it is used in some kind of dive equipment. In my field we use a lot of sofa lime and dive shops have proven to be a good source. But I don't know the details of what they actually use it for.

I ate a jellyfish... tasted like soy sauce.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon system in progress
jrhupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2017, 07:47 AM   #5
marco j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhupp View Post
My understanding is it is used in some kind of dive equipment. In my field we use a lot of sofa lime and dive shops have proven to be a good source. But I don't know the details of what they actually use it for.
I’m gonna have to read up and see if it is medical grade (same as BRS) or some other variation. Plus, not too many scub shops down in southern IL that I know of. Lol

Unread 12/16/2017, 08:27 AM   #6
earwicker7
Registered Member

https://www.shopmedvet.com/product/s...hesia-products

earwicker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2017, 06:10 PM   #7
marco j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
Wow the 5 gallon bucket is only $88! Score. Thanks for the link.

Unread 12/22/2017, 11:06 PM   #8
2_zoa
Registered Member

I got my 5 gallon bucket at Airgas
It was like 70-80 bucks

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 02:32 PM   #9
marco j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
I got my 5 gallon bucket at Airgas
It was like 70-80 bucks
That’s such a great deal. Only a week now on the skimmer and I’m running 8.1-8.2 steady. No change in either canisters media color as well. So good so far.

Unread 12/24/2017, 03:52 PM   #10
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco j View Post
That’s such a great deal. Only a week now on the skimmer and I’m running 8.1-8.2 steady. No change in either canisters media color as well. So good so far.
Wow that is awesome, how much media in the canister? I ran though 250ml worth of media in 3 days with inside air. Fed from outside 250ml lasted less than a day. LOL I now ignore the PH probe as long as corals all look good.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 05:33 PM   #11
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco j View Post
I don’t use it anymore currently. When I did, it was on my air stone driven skimmer fed by an alita air pump I kept in the garage. I passed the air through carbon and sodalime canister I built. He media lasted me a long time before change was necessary. I still have basically a full bucket.

I definitely noticed a PH increase while using it. I used it on the tank with both inside air (had a HOB skimmer first) then on outside air through the above skimmer.

I hope it keeps working out for you. Sounds like your getting the results you were after. That’s awesome.
Stay dry.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 10:35 PM   #12
marco j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
Wow that is awesome, how much media in the canister? I ran though 250ml worth of media in 3 days with inside air. Fed from outside 250ml lasted less than a day. LOL I now ignore the PH probe as long as corals all look good.
I’m actually running two canisters. I’m not certain how much they hold but I have two of these https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-u...-scrubber.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
I don’t use it anymore currently. When I did, it was on my air stone driven skimmer fed by an alita air pump I kept in the garage. I passed the air through carbon and sodalime canister I built. He media lasted me a long time before change was necessary. I still have basically a full bucket.

I definitely noticed a PH increase while using it. I used it on the tank with both inside air (had a HOB skimmer first) then on outside air through the above skimmer.

I hope it keeps working out for you. Sounds like your getting the results you were after. That’s awesome.
Stay dry.
Thanks.

I was getting a range from 7.8-8.3 which felt like a strong swing. This is with me running lights opposite the display on my 75g refugium. My pH also has its lowest points midday which makes no sense to me?!?!?

To me this entire experiment will be continued based on two things. The health of the corals and the media costs. If two canisters last a month or more I can see it becoming permanent.

Unread 12/25/2017, 01:06 PM   #13
Jamesmost
Registered Member

My scrubber bumped 11pm from 7.63 to 7.8....

Jamesmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2017, 01:07 PM   #14
Jamesmost
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesmost View Post
My scrubber bumped 11pm from 7.63 to 7.8....
That's Ph not 11pm

Jamesmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 09:50 AM   #15
gabe145
Registered Member

If I am running a Trident method on my 35-gallon cube, would you suggest running a CO2 scrubber to help with ph?

gabe145 is offline   Reply With Quote