Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/21/2009, 03:49 PM   #26
aquainas
Registered Member

Good to know^^^ since I've got people lining up for frags already

Current Tank Info: In-wall 240 Main display|MSX300|MP40W's|Radiums|Ecoxotic|Apex|Constant water change via LiterMeter III R.I.P
aquainas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2009, 03:42 AM   #27
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Update?

Have you acquired any more goodies recently? That big display tank just begs for attention!

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2009, 04:46 PM   #28
aquainas
Registered Member

Oh I got some goodies in today alright:

Current Tank Info: In-wall 240 Main display|MSX300|MP40W's|Radiums|Ecoxotic|Apex|Constant water change via LiterMeter III R.I.P
Unread 07/22/2009, 04:47 PM   #29
aquainas
Registered Member

I had the electrician out today to price out the 2 dedicated circuits that I want put in. Also I have the electricians from my home builder out to see why I have a GFCI outlet that won't reset, and apparantley there is a short on one of the jumpers from the cabinets below my nano over to the kitchen island...what a PITA. The reason for buying a new house is to avoid this kinda crap.

Unread 07/22/2009, 05:23 PM   #30
aquainas
Registered Member

To make matters worse, the guy that came out was a complete %$^%^!! I had the nano plugged in via extension cord to an outlet at the end of the dining area in the kitchen, because the outlet right behind it was one the was affected by the GFCI. Well tell me why he goes over and unplugged it without saying a thing to me, then he tears paint of the wall where he removed some of the receptacle covers and then proceeds to tell me, "Oh the painters didn't wait long enough after painting before putting them on." Ever heard of a utility knife? What a moron!!!

You see the extension cord? Well there's an outlet behind it that now works since the short was isolated from the entire circuit, but when he said "Well we have to re-run this jumper and there's going to be some damage" I thought to myself to just tell them to forget the power going to the island....but then I realized that the wife would probably be ****ed, I could have sold her on the idea by leaving all the stuff he removed from our cabinets out, not picking up all the pieces of drywall off the counter that he left behind etc etc etc so she'd be freaked out and not want them back in the house. In reality though those outlets come in very handy...ok end of rant!!!

Unread 07/22/2009, 05:31 PM   #31
aquainas
Registered Member

I'm supposed to be focusing on my build and not idiots tearing apart my house!!!
Good news though I've decided on the specifics of the light rack thanks to lightsluvr's build. I will post a pick soon as I'm done with the drawing.

Unread 07/23/2009, 06:32 AM   #32
byrdman81
Registered Member

Hope you get everything straightened out with the house. Cant wait to see the drawing.

Current Tank Info: 20 long nano currently working on 40 Breeder
byrdman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2009, 08:00 AM   #33
serenity
Registered Member

looking good. I hate having people in the house, they have no respect for other peoples property. I can bet you a million bux he would have used a utility knife in his own home!

Keep up the work and pics looking forward to watching your build.

Unread 07/23/2009, 05:43 PM   #34
aquainas
Registered Member

Well the electricians showed up this morning at 6:30am and I am relieved to report that they found the issue with my outlets with only a small hole in the drywall behind the dishwasher Damn stucco guys put a staple through the freakin wire shorting it to the grounded conduit. Now I can get on with my drawing of the light rack...

Unread 07/23/2009, 05:50 PM   #35
byrdman81
Registered Member

Thats good to hear.

Current Tank Info: 20 long nano currently working on 40 Breeder
byrdman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2009, 10:41 PM   #36
Garage1217
GET OFF MY LAWN

Updates..?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? ~ Albert Einstein

I'm just as bent as ever. Hellishly so ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Current Tank Info: Systems and goodies by Lee-Mar / Coralvue / Neptune Systems / Jager / Spectrapure / Cree / Meanwell + more!
Garage1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2009, 10:48 PM   #37
aquainas
Registered Member

Still getting re-aquainted with Google sketchup so I can post my drawings, plus it's way too damn hot to work in the garage right now...gonna kill some time so I can kill the heat.

Unread 08/01/2009, 10:57 PM   #38
Garage1217
GET OFF MY LAWN

You need to AC the garage And sketchup is fun to play with.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? ~ Albert Einstein

I'm just as bent as ever. Hellishly so ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Current Tank Info: Systems and goodies by Lee-Mar / Coralvue / Neptune Systems / Jager / Spectrapure / Cree / Meanwell + more!
Garage1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2009, 12:18 AM   #39
elijaher
Registered Member

Tagged Alone

elijaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2009, 11:35 PM   #40
aquainas
Registered Member

Update

Ok, so I've been doing some re-thinking, debating, reading, and some modeling in Google Sketchup and have begun the drawing of the stand/tank layout. It has been drawn almost to scale, and I am preparing final dimensions for the sump and equipment area below. I am foregoing drawing the light rack because there won't be much of a rack per se. I wanted it to be very simple, easy to move out of the way for servicing and adjustable all at the same time, so here's the plan...I will mount a dual roller track on the ceiling centered above the tank along the full length of the "fish room".

The rollers will be attached to a threaded rod about 10" long. The rod will then get threaded into the center of a 1"x12" aluminum crossbar from which the pendants will be suspended by 6" of cable. So with the crossbar threaded down to the end of the 10" rod, plus my 6 inches of hanging cable, means the lights will hang at a 1.5' distance from an 8' ceiling which leaves 6.5 feet from floor to the lamps. Minus the full height of tank and stand (69.25") leaves about 8.75" between the lamp and the rim of the tank and 9.75" from the water's surface I will also be able to thread the lamps up the rod 5" to raise the lamps a total of 15" above the tank if necessary all independantly! So I will have a modest amount of vertical range to position each pendant over their respective inhabitants, be able to rotate pendants to any angle(if needed), set them variable distance apart from each other and slide them off to one end as I service the other end of the tank and still maintain some lighting. I plan on mounting a 48" florescent fixture on a wall switch over the tank to have light over the area if the halides are off. What do you guys think?

Unread 08/05/2009, 02:11 AM   #41
aquainas
Registered Member

Does this make sense?

Unread 08/05/2009, 02:18 AM   #42
aquainas
Registered Member

Lots more to do on this but it should give me a really good perspective on where things are gonna be located...More details will be outlined in my next post it's time for bed

Unread 08/05/2009, 12:36 PM   #43
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

I like it.

I like the concept of the rail giving some mobility to the lights... I think you will be glad you can move them when you need to get over the tank to retrieve a fish, move a coral or live rock. The side to side will probably give you just enough freedom to do what you need...

I wish I could get Sketchup to load onto my computer...

Good job!

And thanks for the help with the Apex issue!

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Unread 08/05/2009, 01:36 PM   #44
aquainas
Registered Member

Re: I like it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightsluvr
I like the concept of the rail giving some mobility to the lights... I think you will be glad you can move them when you need to get over the tank to retrieve a fish, move a coral or live rock. The side to side will probably give you just enough freedom to do what you need...

I wish I could get Sketchup to load onto my computer...

Good job!

And thanks for the help with the Apex issue!

LL
That's what I was shooting for! I'm gonna do the complete layout in Sketchup....How come you can't load it?

Unread 08/05/2009, 01:40 PM   #45
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Re: Re: I like it.

Quote:
Originally posted by aquainas
That's what I was shooting for! I'm gonna do the complete layout in Sketchup....How come you can't load it?
I don't know. I've tried to download the free version several times...it just sits there and never completes the process...I've even tired reducing security levels temporarily, but it makes no difference.

LL

Unread 08/06/2009, 08:27 AM   #46
aquainas
Registered Member

Give me a call one of these afternoons and we'll see if we can get it going, it's very useful indeed.

Unread 08/06/2009, 09:31 AM   #47
paulthomas
Premium Member

Just an FYI...

WZHANG did beautiful Google Sketchup renderings for free. Check out Ed Reef's thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=3

paulthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2009, 10:33 AM   #48
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulthomas
Just an FYI...

WZHANG did beautiful Google Sketchup renderings for free. Check out Ed Reef's thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=3
Thanks for the link! I could render drawings of that quality if I had the time, however I am drawing to scale (well almost) to get an idea of how everything will fit because I have a very small footprint of space to work in. I may throw it at them just to see what they turn out

Unread 08/06/2009, 10:47 AM   #49
paulthomas
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aquainas
Thanks for the link! I could render drawings of that quality if I had the time, however I am drawing to scale (well almost) to get an idea of how everything will fit because I have a very small footprint of space to work in. I may throw it at them just to see what they turn out
Good idea, get someone else to do it. Besides, you're a preoccupied man on a mission!

paulthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2009, 11:00 AM   #50
aquainas
Registered Member

Guys, all the major work will be taking place hopefully in two weeks here's an outline of what's left to do:
The wall the tank sits in is adjacent to the garage, on the garage side I will build a wall on either side of the tank and install sliding or collapsible doors on the front to close it off from the garage. The depth of the room is only going to be about a foot larger than the tank and a foot wider. This will encapsulate the tank and the doors will open up to the full back of the system for access to the equipment going under the stand. There is also an ac duct that runs in the ceiling above the tank that will be tapped for a 6" cooling vent in the room. I figure that should be enough for 30sq/ft area. The idea is that with the first floor thermostat set at 80 there should be enough air to cool small space or the vent can be partially closed to divert air through the original vent that it being tapped.
There will also be a de-humidifier to control humidity and fans at the top of the wall near the ceiling to remove warm air from the room that will accumulate from the halides. I plan to test this system when I do my leak test to determine the best combination of temperature and the length of time the de-humidifier will run to produce the best results. I will most likely install a de-humidistat to automate this control.....