Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/13/2007, 07:00 AM   #1
dark_stranger
Registered Member

Fish, Breeding & Frag Shed (UK)

I have posted this thread on the coral propagation thread, but as this setup will also involve breeding fish I thought I would post here as well.

Over the last month or so I have been posting on UK forums the progress I have been making with setting up a fish, breeding & frag shed and have now decided to start posting on here.

Since breaking up my display tank recently due to moving I Have been toying with the idea of setting up a shed to keep some fish, breed my Cardinals & propogate zoa & Ric frags. Anyway, dispite the misses getting cheesed off with me spending all my time doing the garden up instead of the house I though I would post some pics of how i am getting on.

I planned to have the shed up in this corner & therefore this old shed will be knocked down (although have since changed mind and will have on other side of garden.

Unfortunately behind the shed is a ton or two of crap.

plus the stuff i had already cleared, this included digging up old concrete fence posts.

it was her or Polish workers and she was cheaper, but only just.

Next went up a new fence, but didnt have it level with back fence as thought the new shed would be hiding it, but as now plans have changed will have to lower side fence to match existing hight. Truthfully I fcuk'ed up with the hight

and down came the shed

I then after all that work decided that the shed should go on the other side of the garden (where i moved all the crap to as i plan to put decking up as that corner gets more sun. Anyway, a 10 x 7 foot shiplap shed has been ordered & once arrived I plan to strengthen the floor & insulate the walls/roof & board over. i will also by placing the shed on its own electricity circuit. Anyway, will update once the shed has arrived, hopefully soon as chomping at the bit to crack on.

dark_stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2007, 07:01 AM   #2
dark_stranger
Registered Member

The shed finally arrived & before errcting I had to clear the garden with a big bonfire.

After the bonfire I had to errect the fence on the right handside of the garden & lay the base for the shed.

Eventually the shed was errected.

Unread 06/13/2007, 07:01 AM   #3
dark_stranger
Registered Member

and the insulation stage began...

Next was to board over the wall insulation to make the shed more pleasing to the eye.

Next the electric sockets were installed

and as i may use the shed in the future as an office or when i sell the house, market the shed as a office I am making good all the joints, etc

Floor/wall joints

Window edging

The next stage is to wire up the mains electric to the sheds consumer unit, plus all going well i plan to collect a 5ft shallow frag tank at the weekend.

I will keep you guys updated.

Unread 06/13/2007, 11:51 PM   #4
socalnative
Registered Member

sweet!

socalnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2007, 05:42 AM   #5
dark_stranger
Registered Member

I thought I would do an update - been rather busy sort this little project out & therefore will summerise the progress.

Got the frag tank

Then built stand for breeding tanks and painted tanks, etc

Finally got electric to the shed via 6mm steel cable from the house consumer unit to an RCD unit in the shed.

Set up the lights for the tank. Only 18watt as no corals will be in these tank, just fish.

Also fitted lighting to the shed. Imaged blocked out as misses was in hottub at the time.

Unread 10/10/2007, 05:43 AM   #6
dark_stranger
Registered Member

Next had to drill the tanks, therefore had a practice run and broke the glass. Tried again and success, next the tanks.

Unread 10/10/2007, 05:44 AM   #7
dark_stranger
Registered Member

Another update showing the plumbing and finally wet tanks, albeit tap water.

This is the sump tank. The main chamber will contain LR and the one before a DSB & Cheato. The last chmaber contains an OR3500.

This is the upper tank and the water gets pumped up from the sump into the top tanks 4 sections, plus into the frag tank, then via a tank connector in each section, down in the tank below. Fortunately there is enough power in the OR3500 to give a steady flow to all tanks.

I then flows back in to the sump.

Finally wet tanks.

Good flow in to frag tank, although pipe work bit unsightly. I will also be adding a ball valve to the frag inlet to control flow or even shut off if needed.

I also plan to lower the final level of the frag tank as I feel its a little to high.

Not to sure if there are any leaks as left switched off last night and at work at the mo.

Still need to insulate roof and doors, plus fit secondary double glazing, but almost there.

Unread 10/10/2007, 03:37 PM   #8
danfrith
Registered Member

Wow!! Very impressive. Im jealous! So, what do you plan to breed?

danfrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2007, 01:53 AM   #9
dark_stranger
Registered Member

I currently breed Bangai Cardinals with a single pair, but plan to increase that as they are a popular fish in the uk, plus this spieces needs all the help it can get.

I will also be doing zoa's & ric's in the frag tank.

Unread 10/11/2007, 02:17 PM   #10
EMBRYOGUY
Registered Member

what cant you do? hehe simply amazing.

if you can do all that, i can only imagine how good of a breeder you are. great work!

Current Tank Info: many breeding/larvae tanks
EMBRYOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2007, 03:51 AM   #11
dark_stranger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EMBRYOGUY
what cant you do? hehe simply amazing.

if you can do all that, i can only imagine how good of a breeder you are. great work!
Thanks, but I have never done anything like that before and learning by the day. I have no diy skills, but work in an office so it has been challenging, but fun.

Unread 11/01/2007, 02:25 PM   #12
dark_stranger
Registered Member

another update

since taking those pics i have added a skimmer and a rowa reactor and the electrics have been tided up. Under the frag tank will be a ro tank.

On a really positive note, the insulation is working a treat, whereas my old brick shed use to leak condensation from the roof, there is no condensation on the shed & the shed is nice and warm. The oil rad i brought i set to low, level 1 and hardly comes on. I have also blocked the windows out with insulation as they were going to loose lots of heat & there is no need for daylight during the winter.

Next is to get the tanks filled with cardinals and try and pair up.

Unread 11/01/2007, 03:25 PM   #13
tcmfish
Registered Member

Wow nice keep the updates coming looking very good so far. If only I had such a setup.

tcmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2007, 03:48 PM   #14
Atticus
Registered Member

Very nice setup. My wife has promissed me a shed in the near future also. It is great to see your system to help with my planning.

Current Tank Info: As many as the wife will allow....
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote