Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Marine Depot
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2012, 10:29 PM   #1
mobilebyrd
Registered Member

Pumps and Wavermaker input desired

I have ordered a bunch of reflectors, lights, ballasts, etc. from MD about a year ago and am finally getting around to setting up everything.
I have a 60" long 110 gallon FOWLR tank and am planning on putting about 150# of rock in it stacked mostly on one side. As such, I will have detritus issues which I feel are going to be best addressed by a couple of powerheads and a wave controller. The tank is in the living room so Quite Operation is a Must. I had good service from you before and figured I would ask for your opinion.

I was looking at the JBJ 1600 gph oceanstream kit (2 powerheads and a controller). It's affordable ($100), and all the reviews seem to be positive. I have not seen any long term reviews though. Also, the product is out of stock on MD but is available elsewhere.

I was also considering ordering 2 Sicce Voyager 4 pumps and putting them on a Hydor wavemaker. I looked at your site and didn't notice the Voyager 4s but did see other Sicce products. They have mostly good reviews (some complaints about broken brackets) and come recommended by several local shops and will run about $200 for pumps and a controller if shopping around. The Sicce seem to have more thought put into the design (o-ring silencers on the magnets, flow control, etc).

Any input/experience would be greatly appreciated. Vortech and Tunze are out of my price range unless a lightly used pair comes floating by for cheap (~$250) which isn't likely.

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon Reef and 110 Cichlid
mobilebyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2012, 11:41 AM   #2
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Arrow Powerhead Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilebyrd View Post
I have ordered a bunch of reflectors, lights, ballasts, etc. from MD about a year ago and am finally getting around to setting up everything.
I have a 60" long 110 gallon FOWLR tank and am planning on putting about 150# of rock in it stacked mostly on one side. As such, I will have detritus issues which I feel are going to be best addressed by a couple of powerheads and a wave controller. The tank is in the living room so Quite Operation is a Must. I had good service from you before and figured I would ask for your opinion.

I was looking at the JBJ 1600 gph oceanstream kit (2 powerheads and a controller). It's affordable ($100), and all the reviews seem to be positive. I have not seen any long term reviews though. Also, the product is out of stock on MD but is available elsewhere.

I was also considering ordering 2 Sicce Voyager 4 pumps and putting them on a Hydor wavemaker. I looked at your site and didn't notice the Voyager 4s but did see other Sicce products. They have mostly good reviews (some complaints about broken brackets) and come recommended by several local shops and will run about $200 for pumps and a controller if shopping around. The Sicce seem to have more thought put into the design (o-ring silencers on the magnets, flow control, etc).

Any input/experience would be greatly appreciated. Vortech and Tunze are out of my price range unless a lightly used pair comes floating by for cheap (~$250) which isn't likely.
The Oceanstream pumps are a great value and are getting excellent reviews. We should have them available within 1-2 weeks max. The Sicce pumps are a bit higher quality, but we do not stock the Voyager series here at MarineDepot.com.

You might consider a couple of the Hydor Koralia Evolution Circulation Pump/Powerhead 1400 gph along with the Hydor Koralia Smart Wave Pump Controller. This would be an affordable alternative to the Oceanstream system and still provide plenty of flow for 150 gallon aquarium.

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote