Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/10/2007, 01:53 PM   #51
Slakker
Premium Member

I've heard a lot of people say that Garlic will get a feeding response out of fish that aren't eating much, so it's worth a shot at this point.

Oceanic 58RR display/20H sump/fuge thread...follow the red house.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58g, 20H sump, AquaC EV-150, 175w Hamilton 14k + 2x39w T5HO Actinics
Slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2007, 04:28 PM   #52
Slakker
Premium Member

Just called one of the local stores, and they carry both frozen cyclopeeze and spirulina enriched brine. I can honestly say I didn't expect a positive answer on either of them, but it sounds like the kids will be getting a good meal tonight!

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58g, 20H sump, AquaC EV-150, 175w Hamilton 14k + 2x39w T5HO Actinics
Unread 04/10/2007, 05:01 PM   #53
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Yeehaw!! There is merit in "support your local fish store" after all ;>)

Good luck and may they feast.

Current Tank Info: Glass 2.5's
traveller7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2007, 06:47 PM   #54
Slakker
Premium Member

And feast they have!

By the time I got it home it was no longer frozen completely solid, but still frozen, so I took a few small clumps of it on the end of a plastic fork and swished it in the water until it was all off of the fork.

They started going for it immediately, and it stays in the water column for plenty of time for them to chow it down!

This gives me a LOT of renewed hope...I think this will help them both get their energy back up and definitely help to get them healthy.

Unfortunately, despite me calling ahead of time the store didn't have any Spirulina enriched brine left.

Also, the guy who works the fish room gave me some great information on how Clown's are all born female and then turn male, and it's much better to have either three or one....lol. Oh well, they had what I needed, and they're eating, so I'm happy!

Edit: And after a good meal, my little male was doing a lot more swimming normally than he was hanging out on the bottom. He's gone back to stopping for a few moments, but I think he'll start regaining his strength with good feedings.

Ammonia still reads undetectable, and PH is ~8.0

Last edited by Slakker; 04/10/2007 at 07:28 PM.
Unread 04/10/2007, 07:52 PM   #55
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Wink

Good news, may each day improve

Unread 04/10/2007, 08:12 PM   #56
redvipe2010
Moved On

Great News! Keep up the good work!

redvipe2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2007, 08:21 PM   #57
Slakker
Premium Member

Thanks

I just wish I had been more prepared to begin with. Not a mistake I'll make again.

Should I be expecting the water to clear up in the near future, or will it stay a little cloudy?

Unread 04/11/2007, 12:16 PM   #58
Slakker
Premium Member

Ammonia and pH were a little off today, but a waterchange with some same-SG water fixed that.

Although, unfortunately, the one contingency I'm not really prepared for is a high possibility. The power has been flickering for the past 30 minutes, but hasn't dropped entirely off yet. I do have a battery powered air pump, but only one of them, so my display is just going to have to hang in there I guess.

I've just fed them with another little bit of cyclop-eeze that I thawed in a few drops of tank water and the male doesn't seem to have eaten much.

He's also starting laying on the bottom and breathing heavily much more often...but I still can't see any signs of anything obvious.

I got a close-up-ish photo of both of them today, too. The male is currently just sitting on the bottom and breathing, moving just a little bit every few moments, and the female is fully capable of swimming, looks and acts healthy, but is hanging out by the male anyways, like she's concerned about him.

Edit: I've just noticed the female doing a bit of it herself, but not nearly as bad as the male.

Last edited by Slakker; 04/11/2007 at 12:26 PM.
Unread 04/11/2007, 12:26 PM   #59
Slakker
Premium Member

And a video:

Unread 04/11/2007, 01:40 PM   #60
Slakker
Premium Member

Anyone?

I'm sorry for being a little impatient, but things seem to be declining and I'm not sure what to do. I fear at this point that there's little hope for them.

Another small feeding got them up and moving around chasing food down...once again, the female is obviously much heathier than the male, but they both are definitely making an effort to eat.

Is there ANYTHING more I can do to help these two? I still don't see any signs of parasites...I wouldn't think there was anything wrong with them at all if they would swim instead of laying on the bottom and breathing heavily.

Last edited by Slakker; 04/11/2007 at 01:46 PM.
Unread 04/11/2007, 01:58 PM   #61
traveller7
Time to get back in?

It does sound like they are declining, in addition they look dangerously thin. Keep trying to feed, especially if the female is eating.

If they are still at 1.018SG, no medication in the water, then frankly treatment has not begun, merely isolation.

If they had brook, they would likely be dead, so that is unlikely.
If they had amyloo, I would expect them to behave differently at this stage.

I would expect a FW dip to be more stress then help.
I would expect a Formalin dip to be more stress then help.

Personally, I would be dropping the SG, feeding, and siphoning food.

fwiw: if they keep eating, there is much hope, but they appear extremely thin. Coupled with gill parasites, there is alot of work ahead.

Unread 04/11/2007, 02:03 PM   #62
traveller7
Time to get back in?

As an example of throwing the kitchen sink at in issue, this is thread that does not make me smile much:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...09#post2479709

If anything, it likely supports the concepts of picking a treatment and sticking with it.

fwiw: The Male, now female is still around. I would not have bet someone else's money on either of them surviving at week 2.

Unread 04/11/2007, 02:05 PM   #63
Slakker
Premium Member

Okay...thanks you.

I'm going to brave the weather to drive up to a couple of stores in a bit (right after I go take this pointless Coaching exam...why did I take Coaching, anyways? I'm a business major...). Can someone explain to me why I have to deal with a blizzard in the middle of APRIL? Global warming is apparently not doing its job.

I desperately need to have my hydrometer checked for accuracy so that I can bring them down to proper levels for treatment. I plan to get some frozen Mysis. A little culinary variety and some other options can't hurt anything.

What's the best way to feed them these frozen foods?

Unread 04/11/2007, 02:06 PM   #64
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Quote:
Originally posted by Slakker
Is there ANYTHING more I can do to help these two? I still don't see any signs of parasites...I wouldn't think there was anything wrong with them at all if they would swim instead of laying on the bottom and breathing heavily.
The parasites you see are not the worst of the problem, the phase attacking the gills, decreasing the ability to pull oxygen from the water and physically wounding them are quite fatal.

Make sure they have somewhere to rest outside the current and keep the food coming, if they eat anything, give them as much as they will eat.

Unread 04/11/2007, 02:12 PM   #65
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Quote:
I desperately need to have my hydrometer checked for accuracy so that I can bring them down to proper levels for treatment. I plan to get some frozen Mysis. A little culinary variety and some other options can't hurt anything.

What's the best way to feed them these frozen foods?
If they eat anything, use it for now. But, as variety is always good, even between brands can trigger a better response. Some of my fish turn up thier nose at Hikari mysis, but go crazy for PE mysis. Go figure.

I thaw in RO, then pour in bits at a time, store extra for a few hours in the fridge, rinse, repeat.

Best of luck on the exam too.

PS: Even if the swing arm is off by 25% at 1.014, I would get there fairly soon.

Unread 04/11/2007, 02:51 PM   #66
Slakker
Premium Member

Okay. I need to pick up more RO while I'm out, so I'll get everything checked and work down to 1.014 yet tonight.

Unread 04/11/2007, 05:30 PM   #67
Slakker
Premium Member

Thawing up some Mysis as I type, and I've got RO heating in a bucket to start bringing the SG down.

Two of three stores I went to were totally not helpful with my Hydrometer, and at the third the woman referred to the refractometer as the "looky-through thing." I've just ordered the portable refractometer from the Drs. and it will hopefully arrive soon. Their facility is like 6 hours away from me, so it should be quick.

Also...it's tough to say if they're really eating or not. They definitely get up and chase after food, but the cyclopeeze is small enough I can't really tell if they get any or if they just chase it.

Unread 04/11/2007, 05:41 PM   #68
Purple Penguins
Registered Member

Slakker,
I wish you and your cute clownfish the best of luck hopefully your Hydrometer makes it in speedy time, as for the "looky-through thing" I have to admit reading that gave me a bit of a chuckle, I will keep watching for posts

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!

Current Tank Info: 2 x 24 gal AP Reefs, 3 gal picotope, 10 gal freshwater, 10 gal mantis, 75 gall reef tank, 3 tier frag system about 80-90 gals
Purple Penguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2007, 05:47 PM   #69
Slakker
Premium Member

If they're having trouble pulling oxygen out of the water (a theory I definitely agree with) would it be a good idea to add an airstone to the tank?

Unread 04/11/2007, 06:16 PM   #70
Slakker
Premium Member

A small update...I didn't see them actually eat much, and the male is having a hard time keeping himself upright. They will swim for a few moments, but mostly both hang out in the same spot on the bottom of the tank. The male will right himself only to tip over a couple of seconds later. I'm really worried that I won't be able to save them.

Unread 04/11/2007, 07:22 PM   #71
Slakker
Premium Member

After another feeding, they spent a pretty good amount of time swimming around and getting off the bottom, but for some reason it's tough to tell whether or not they're eating the cyclopeeze or just chasing it around.

The males breathing seems to drop when he decides to swim, but if he's just laying there it's definitely bad.

While siphoning out the excess food, the female swam up to my hand a few times, never bumping me or nipping, but just getting close. The activity is a good sign, anyways.

Unread 04/11/2007, 08:48 PM   #72
traveller7
Time to get back in?

I should have advised earlier, tape newspaper around at least 3 sides of the tank for some privacy. It may help them calm down a bit and think more about food. An experienced local breeder does that for all new QT specimens with good success, I typically use acrylics that are tinted on 4 sides and forget to share that

Unread 04/11/2007, 09:07 PM   #73
Slakker
Premium Member

Even better than newspaper, I have access to yards upon yards black butcherblock for the wonderful price of free. I'll go grab some now and tape it on. I'll even add a flap for the front of the tank so I can cover it at night and still be able to move around after lights out.

I had thought about doing it earlier but was afraid of scaring them, as I remember reading somewhere that black or red objects moving towards them generally spooks them.

Do you think they'll be more inclined to eat and generally perk up a bit if they feel a little more secure?

Unread 04/11/2007, 09:27 PM   #74
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Quote:
Do you think they'll be more inclined to eat and generally perk up a bit if they feel a little more secure?
I can't qualify the success of the strategy, but a local breeder I trust swears by it and has grown out some of the impossible species so who are we to question?

I assume, much of it has to do with the activity or lack there of in the room. But I don't see it hurting.

Sorry your first experience with clowns has been so trying

Unread 04/11/2007, 10:22 PM   #75
Slakker
Premium Member

Yeah, I am too. It hasn't broken me on them, by any means, but I believe I made some serious mistakes with these two that I will not be making again. I jumped the gun and they're paying for it.

I'm doing the best within my abilities to fix my mistakes, but I just don't know if it's enough. Hopefully within the next couple of days the refractometer will arrive and I'll be able to really start true treatment and stop feeling so helpless. I've just finished covering three sides of the tank in black paper, and have decided to cover the front at night so that I can still use my computer and watch TV and whatnot after it's time for the fish to go lights out.

After all, I have to do something to get my mind off of them every once in a while.